Human Rights Law Programs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Always Credited

Re: Human Rights Law Programs

Postby Always Credited » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:02 pm

mrvinyl007 wrote:Thanks for the education!

Wow, you took that well.

+1 to you.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:10 pm

The University of Cincinnati has an amnesty program that is pretty renowned.

mrvinyl007

Postby mrvinyl007 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Always Credited wrote:
mrvinyl007 wrote:Thanks for the education!

Wow, you took that well.

+1 to you.

I'm big enough to know when I'm wrong. Also it's better to find out things like this now before I make my decisions on law school.

On a side note I did hear about Cincinnati's amnesty program. I'll have to look into that one when take get my LSAT score sometime in November.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:24 pm

On the off chance that this thread isnt complete BS:
If you really want "human rights" law (read: not international law, but instead focused on working with NGOs in some legal capacity) then you might look at Pepperdine.
They regularly send people to Southeast Asia to work with NGOs documenting human rights violations, Uganda to work with their courts and state agencies on issues affecting developing nations etc.
They also have one of the busiest Asylum Clinics in the country, and at least one Professor who works in various countries dealing with issues of human trafficking.
If you've got the numbers then you can probably get a good amount of $$ and high tier 2.
You really wouldn't want to incur a bunch of debt to pursue this kind of career path however.

SecondAidenn

Postby SecondAidenn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:What are your numbers?

3.9 GPA, and currently enrolled in a Kaplan advanced course for the LSAT. Scoring an average of 162 with little to no preparation so far. I'm pretty confident that I'll get up to at least 170.

1ferret! wrote:On the off chance that this thread isnt complete BS:
If you really want "human rights" law (read: not international law, but instead focused on working with NGOs in some legal capacity) then you might look at Pepperdine.

Thank you, 1ferret!, that sounds promising, and I'll be sure to take a look. The international aspect of it sounds especially good.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Ay, por Dios!

Please don't go to law school for this. If you must, don't pay full fare to go to an expensive private school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:39 pm

SecondAidenn wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What are your numbers?

3.9 GPA, and currently enrolled in a Kaplan advanced course for the LSAT. Scoring an average of 162 with little to no preparation so far. I'm pretty confident that I'll get up to at least 170.

1ferret! wrote:On the off chance that this thread isnt complete BS:

Thank you, 1ferret!, that sounds promising, and I'll be sure to take a look. The international aspect of it sounds especially good.

You seem like either a well-orchestrated flame, or just very clueless. If you're the latter, you're in the right place. TLS is a very helpful site.

Seriously, do not think about American again. Pretend it doesn't exist. The only schools you should even be contemplating are the T14. You have a stellar GPA, and a 162 cold is very solid. With solid preparation and hard work, you can definitely hit 170. HYSCCN are all within your reach, and I'm not exaggerating or blowing smoke up your ass. If you can pull of a 173+, you'll be Harvard/Yale/Stanford bound. So what you need to do is:

STUDY YOUR ASS OFF. Live, eat, breathe, and shit the LSAT for the next couple of months. I'm talking 3-4 hours a day, multiple practice exams a week. A 170 will get you into some elite schools and your legal future will be very, very bright. Get your ass in the desk chair and go study. RIGHT NOW.

SecondAidenn

Postby SecondAidenn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:11 am

Thank you, Romothesavior, this has definitely helped to put things in perspective for me. I'll be devoting the majority of my energy to the LSAT over the next 2 months, that's for sure, and hope that my whiteness and middle classness don't get in the way of my acceptance into a T14. I'll also be looking around the rest of this site for info. The articles have been really helpful, as has the advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”