Accelerated JD/MBA class rank and GPA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bdubs

Accelerated JD/MBA class rank and GPA

Postby bdubs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:15 pm

I am interested in and will be applying to the accelerated JD/MBA programs at NU and Penn. Both programs have classes that are cross credited to allow you to graduate from both law and business school in 3 years.

Does anyone know how this affects the calculation of GPA or class rank for these students?

Are the transcripts for MBA and JD kept separately or is literally viewed as a single degree?

In most business schools grades and rank are considered relatively inconsequential, which is quite the opposite of law school. Does this present problems (or benefits) for accelerated JD/MBA candidates?

Pip

Re: Accelerated JD/MBA class rank and GPA

Postby Pip » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:16 am

bdubs wrote:I am interested in and will be applying to the accelerated JD/MBA programs at NU and Penn. Both programs have classes that are cross credited to allow you to graduate from both law and business school in 3 years.

Does anyone know how this affects the calculation of GPA or class rank for these students?

Are the transcripts for MBA and JD kept separately or is literally viewed as a single degree?

In most business schools grades and rank are considered relatively inconsequential, which is quite the opposite of law school. Does this present problems (or benefits) for accelerated JD/MBA candidates?

You would have 1 transcript that would show all your grades in business and law and the grade point would be based on all those classes combined. Your ranking would be based on your GPA vs the GPAs of all students in the law school.

I'm also not sure why you believe that grades and ranking are considered relatively inconsequential in business school. Employers looking at MBAs do look at your GPA and often have very defined criteria such that they will only interview students with X GPA or above. Now if you are thinking in terms of how some schools activities such as law review are based solely on ranking, well yes that is true and business schools don't have such things... but don't assume that your grades and ranking wont matter when you are looking for the jobs.... they will.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 am

Call and ask the schools.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Pip wrote:
bdubs wrote:I'm also not sure why you believe that grades and ranking are considered relatively inconsequential in business school. Employers looking at MBAs do look at your GPA and often have very defined criteria such that they will only interview students with X GPA or above.

Wharton (along with Harvard and Stanford) has a grade non-disclosure policy for its business school students. This means that for all intents and purposes grades for MBA students don't matter.

--LinkRemoved--

Northwestern's Kellogg school does not have this policy, although I still think that the race to the top of the class ranks is not nearly as intense in business school as it is in law school.

All of my opinions are based on discussions with friends and colleagues who have attended these and other top b-schools.

Pip

Postby Pip » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Don't assume a non-disclosure means anything. At Harvard the firms that care about grades ask you for them. At that point you will have two choices, answer and hope they are good enough or tell them the school has a policy against disclosure and know that you can pick up your ding letter on the way out.

At the most the non-disclosure policies might eliminate some companies that use the school's facilities from asking up front... BUT the firms that you are likely to want to work for like BCG, Bain or Goldman are going to do their mass interviews in offsite hotels and they will be free to do as the please. They will ask you. Been there and done that. Doesn't matter what disclosure policy the school has... in fact you will quickly find that as interviews progress and you go beyond the first round you will be faced with all manner of questions that are "out of bounds"... My favorite was which political party I was a member of, that was from the Sr VP that was next in line after the CEO of a Fortune 200 company. So take any "disclosure policy" with a grain of salt. They are not enforced, have you ever heard of a school banning a firm or company from doing interviews because they asked a student what their grades were? It isn't going to happen, those policies are to make prospective students feel better.

If places like Harvard didn't care about grades do you think they would award the title of Bakers Scholar to the top 5% of the class? Would they grade on a forced curve where 10% of a section will receive a low pass regardless of how good the students are? Don't buy into the kid glove marketing of top schools... grades matter.

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:55 pm

NU Law doesn't provide class rank, so that's irrelevant. All first year classes are in normal sections interspersed with the regular law students, so employers will have an apples-to-apples comparison come OCI.

Per a current MBA student, only consulting firms and i-banks care about grades.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Dick Whitman wrote:NU Law doesn't provide class rank, so that's irrelevant. All first year classes are in normal sections interspersed with the regular law students, so employers will have an apples-to-apples comparison come OCI.

Per a current MBA student, only consulting firms and i-banks care about grades.

Thanks

Return to “Choosing a Law School”