Choosing a school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
skatensnow08

New

Choosing a school

Post by skatensnow08 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:51 am

Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum. The idea of law school is new to me because I do not have any family/friends who have attended. However, I do have an interest in going to law school if I could do so without racking up 200k in debt.

I received an academic scholarship at a smaller school near my home in Michigan, and this year I will be finishing up my MBA in accounting. I will finish my MBA in only 3.5 years and will be 22 years old. I would really like to attend law school upon completing my MBA and passing the CPA exam.

My question is what would my LSAT score need to be to get into a decent school with some scholarship money.

Undergrad GPA - 3.5
Grad GPA - 3.9
LSAT - ??

I understand that going to a smaller school could hurt my chances. Does my grad GPA help make up for the poor undergrad GPA? Will having my MBA and CPA help my chances?

If I couldnt get into a good school, would it be worth my time to get my JD from a smaller school if I could do so for free (Cooley)? I have heard a lot about how a JD can help climb both the corporate ladder in industry or climb the ladder at a public firm.

Any thoughts will be highly appreciated

Thanks for all of the help!

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Choosing a school

Post by Danteshek » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:52 am

Hey. Idiot. Don't waste people's time. Don't double post.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:53 am

Go to Cooley. I think you will find it a great fit for climbing the corporate ladder.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:58 am

In cooley law school, corporate ladder climb you.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:06 pm

3.5 years for an MBA? That's a real long time. Anyways, in answer to some of your questions:

LSAT - Shoot for the 170's if going to school is contingent on scholarships.

Grad GPA - doesn't matter at all, not the smallest little bit unfortunately. They don't care it doesn't affect their stats.

Cooley = No. I'd just stick with your MBA and CPA, why get a JD unless you really need to? It's not gonna help you climb any ladder except the debt one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

skatensnow08

New

Post by skatensnow08 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Xnegd wrote:3.5 years for an MBA? That's a real long time. Anyways, in answer to some of your questions:

LSAT - Shoot for the 170's if going to school is contingent on scholarships.

Grad GPA - doesn't matter at all, not the smallest little bit unfortunately. They don't care it doesn't affect their stats.

Cooley = No. I'd just stick with your MBA and CPA, why get a JD unless you really need to? It's not gonna help you climb any ladder except the debt one.

Well I guess that my grad gpa is out of the question. And let me clear up the time frame question; I received both my BBA and MBA in a 3.5 year period from start to finish. I graduated from HS in Spring 2007.

Thanks for the advice so far. I was thinking I may need a score around 170. Also, I cannot tell if people are kidding about Cooley. I have heard both good and terrible things about the school.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:14 pm

skatensnow08 wrote:Well I guess that my grad gpa is out of the question. And let me clear up the time frame question; I received both my BBA and MBA in a 3.5 year period from start to finish. I graduated from HS in Spring 2007.

Thanks for the advice so far. I was thinking I may need a score around 170. Also, I cannot tell if people are kidding about Cooley. I have heard both good and terrible things about the school.
Yes, we are kidding. No, don't go there. It is quite possibly the worst law school in the country.

Honestly, unless you really, REALLY want to be a lawyer and have crushing debt and sucky career options, you need a 165 or so on the LSAT to justify going to law school. 170 will put you up into T14 promised land (where the debt is just as crushing and the career prospects are somewhat better).

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:10 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
skatensnow08 wrote:Well I guess that my grad gpa is out of the question. And let me clear up the time frame question; I received both my BBA and MBA in a 3.5 year period from start to finish. I graduated from HS in Spring 2007.

Yes, we are kidding. No, don't go there. It is quite possibly the worst law school in the country.

Honestly, unless you really, REALLY want to be a lawyer and have crushing debt and sucky career options, you need a 165 or so on the LSAT to justify going to law school. 170 will put you up into T14 promised land (where the debt is just as crushing and the career prospects are somewhat better).
Correction: it is quite possibly the worst accredited law school in the country. I think we all know of at least one school worse. I will not speak it's name, because pictures are so much stronger than words. Although to be fair, at least the other infamous law school is not charging very much in tuition.

And yes, I agree. 165 or up, otherwise don't bother. Especially since you already have your MBA. At the very least, you should think about going out and getting some experience in the real world first. I went straight through, and while I do still think it was probably the right choice for me, sometimes I wish I had worked in industry or gone and joined the peace corp like I wanted to. Think long and hard before you commit to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”