Need as much info and opinions as possible

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Adu

Need as much info and opinions as possible

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:22 am

Hey,
I am currently getting a Bachelor's degree in International Business and then planning on attending Law school to get a JD with a focus on International Law. I work full time and have a 3.2; I haven't taken the LSAT yet (planning on taking it this oct). I also grew up in Europe and only went to school in French until I moved here 3 years ago. I do have dual citizenship though. I really am attracted to Frodham, but due to my "low" GPA what are my chances?

The more info you can give the me the better; the pre law advisor at my school decided he didnt need to reply to any emails anymore, so I'm stuck!

TCScrutinizer

Re: Need as much info and opinions as possible

Postby TCScrutinizer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:34 am

From what I can gather, Fordham isn't exceptionally splitter friendly. According to LSN, there weren't a huge amount of people in the 3.2 range applying, so it's hard to make an apples-to-apples judgment. I'd shoot for a 172+ LSAT for a strong consider, although I'd apply with a 165 or above for a long-shot.

http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:36 am

TCScrutinizer wrote:From what I can gather, Fordham isn't exceptionally splitter friendly. According to LSN, there weren't a huge amount of people in the 3.2 range applying, so it's hard to make an apples-to-apples judgment. Being perhaps overly conservative, I'd shoot for a 171+ LSAT for a strong consider, although I'd apply with a 165 or above for a reach.

http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Just a low GPA does not a splitter make. This is TCR, though.

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks! I am def shooting high on the LSAT considering that my GPA isn't too good. Do you tihnk they will consider the fact that I am foreign and the I am also a full time worker?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:42 am

Adu wrote:Thanks! I am def shooting high on the LSAT considering that my GPA isn't too good. Do you tihnk they will consider the fact that I am foreign and the I am also a full time worker?

Work, no. Foreign, maybe. Are you a URM? Even if not, you may be able to write a good DS about your experiences that would give you a slight boost.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 am

What is this fascination with international law? There is no such thing.

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:49 am

There is a focus in International Law; I don't understand the point of your questions to be honest.

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
Adu wrote:Thanks! I am def shooting high on the LSAT considering that my GPA isn't too good. Do you tihnk they will consider the fact that I am foreign and the I am also a full time worker?

Work, no. Foreign, maybe. Are you a URM? Even if not, you may be able to write a good DS about your experiences that would give you a slight boost.

Like I said I am foreign; therefore, I am not sure what a URM is. Is it something like a minority group?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:51 am

Adu wrote:There is a focus in International Law; I don't understand the point of your questions to be honest.

The focus is to sell seats at law schools. There is very little actual "international law" work that goes on, and what there is is done by people who have already had successful careers in law/politics.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:52 am

Adu wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Like I said I am foreign; therefore, I am not sure what a URM is. Is it something like a minority group?

See here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/urm-applicant-faq.html

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:53 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
Adu wrote:There is a focus in International Law; I don't understand the point of your questions to be honest.

The focus is to sell seats at law schools. There is very little actual "international law" work that goes on, and what there is is done by people who have already had successful careers in law/politics.

That's disappointing.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:54 am

kalvano wrote:What is this fascination with international law? There is no such thing.

This.

At least not without a modifier like "International M&A."

I hope you know that "international law" may in no way entail leaving the county or speaking a foreign language.

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:57 am

rad law wrote:
kalvano wrote:What is this fascination with international law? There is no such thing.

This.

I hope you know that "international law" may in no way entail leaving the county or speaking a foreign language.

My goal is to study law at an international level, so that I have the option to study in my home country in Europe.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:57 am

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:58 am

I should say that there is a possibility of penetrating the misty nether-regions and making a career out of something that you can call "international law", if you go to HYS and clerk for a SCOTUS judge and then work for for Cravath, Skadden, Wachtell, or Sullivan.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:59 am

Adu wrote:
rad law wrote:

This.

My goal is to study law at an international level, so that I have the option to study in my home country in Europe.

After your American JD? Why? And to what end? This sounds silly.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:59 am

kalvano wrote:I should say that there is a possibility of penetrating the misty nether-regions and making a career out of something that you can call "international law", if you go to HYS and clerk for a SCOTUS judge and then work for for Cravath, Skadden, Wachtell, or Sullivan.

Your misty nether-regions are not something I want to hear about.

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:01 pm

rad law wrote:
Adu wrote:
rad law wrote:

This.

After your American JD? Why? And to what end? This sounds silly.

I have dual nationality and if I am going to spend many years acquiring a degree I would like to make sure I can use it in the USA as well as in Europe. I also love everything that is on the international level.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Adu wrote:I have dual nationality and if I am going to spend many years acquiring a degree I would like to make sure I can use it in the USA as well as in Europe. I also love everything that is on the international level.

When people want lawyers for French stuff, they get French lawyers. For American stuff, they get American lawyers. They don't want a "jack of all trades, master of none." Simple as that.

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:10 pm

rad law wrote:
Adu wrote:I have dual nationality and if I am going to spend many years acquiring a degree I would like to make sure I can use it in the USA as well as in Europe. I also love everything that is on the international level.

When people want lawyers for French stuff, they get French lawyers. For American stuff, they get American lawyers. They don't want a "jack of all trades, master of none." Simple as that.

Thats why I thought that going for International Law would allow me to practice both, so that I can work and help on the French "stuff" as well as the American "stuff" simple as that

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Adu wrote:
rad law wrote:

Thats why I thought that going for International Law would allow me to practice both, so that I can work and help on the French "stuff" as well as the American "stuff" simple as that

MKay..............

This is how it really works: if there is a deal going down between French and American companies, the French company will hire a French firm and the American company will hire an American firm and the two firms will spend a great deal of time consulting and arguing with one another.

Your choice is: do you want to work for the French firm or the American firm? There is no such thing as a magical, multi-lingual, globetrotting master ninja lawyer.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:19 pm

Adu wrote:
rad law wrote:

It doesn't really work like that. If a French company needs guidance on American law because they want to do some business here, they hire some people from an American law firm to help out. The American companies who need to do business in France end up doing the same. Why? Because France's legal system is totally different from ours on a fundamental level (civil law as opposed to common law) with its own intricacies and pitfalls. Specializing in "international law" from an American law school won't get you the jobs you want, because they generally don't exist. Why would someone hire you, with your minimal knowledge of French law from your "international" program, when they can get a French-educated lawyer?

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 pm

rad law wrote:It doesn't really work like that. If a French company needs guidance on American law because they want to do some business here, they hire some people from an American law firm to help out. The American companies who need to do business in France end up doing the same. Why? Because France's legal system is totally different from ours on a fundamental level (civil law as opposed to common law) with its own intricacies and pitfalls. Specializing in "international law" from an American law school won't get you the jobs you want, because they generally don't exist. Why would someone hire you, with your minimal knowledge of French law from your "international" program, when they can get a French-educated lawyer?

+1

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:25 pm

djjf39 wrote:
rad law wrote:It doesn't really work like that. If a French company needs guidance on American law because they want to do some business here, they hire some people from an American law firm to help out. The American companies who need to do business in France end up doing the same. Why? Because France's legal system is totally different from ours on a fundamental level (civil law as opposed to common law) with its own intricacies and pitfalls. Specializing in "international law" from an American law school won't get you the jobs you want, because they generally don't exist. Why would someone hire you, with your minimal knowledge of French law from your "international" program, when they can get a French-educated lawyer?

+1

There is a possibility to do a study abroad for one year and acquire a French law degree as well as an American one; in other words students who do that can sit for both bar exams.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Adu wrote:There is a possibility to do a study abroad for one year and acquire a French law degree as well as an American one; in other words students who do that can sit for both bar exams.

Did you read the link?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”