Northwestern (Sticker) vs Michigan (Sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NU vs Michigan

Northwestern
40%
Michigan
60%

Total votes: 203

lakerfanimal

Re: Northwestern (Sticker) vs Michigan (Sticker)

Postby lakerfanimal » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:39 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Trolling for NU.

Based on an early consensus, I would say that OCI went very well at NU.

Approximately 60% of my 60 person section has received offers from NLJ250 firms (almost entirely V100), with ~27% having received offers/accepted from V20s. Of the remaining 40%, half are either JD/MBAs or PI folks who did not particpate in OCI. I feel that the same could be said across sections.

Of those having accepted offers, ~45% did so with firms in Chicago, ~20% in NYC, ~10% in California, and the remaining ~25% were scattered across the country.

If the OCI numbers are true, that's around Columbia numbers :shock:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:

Approximately 60% of my 60 person section has received offers from NLJ250 firms (almost entirely V100), with ~27% having received offers/accepted from V20s. Of the remaining 40%, half are either JD/MBAs or PI folks who did not particpate in OCI. I feel that the same could be said across sections.

Of those having accepted offers, ~45% did so with firms in Chicago, ~20% in NYC, ~10% in California, and the remaining ~25% were scattered across the country.

I don't think it's so shocking, largely because it's an apples to oranges comparison. First of all, you're talking about '09 data versus '10 data. Second, chadwick's account obviously doesn't include transfers.

Third, NU's class and CLS's class are very different. Over 10% of the class is JD-MBAs, and about 15% is engineering/science majors. Historically only half the JD-MBAs took legal jobs at graduation, and that number is probably even lower ITE. The engineering/science majors are marketable for IP jobs and largely compete for different SA slots than everyone else. About 60% of the class has 3+ years of WE, and a lot have connections to law firms either as paralegals, or through industry organizations, etc.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:36 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:

Confirmed at town-hall meeting that 60% of C/O 2011 got a job out of OCI. Current stats suggest this year will be the same or somewhat better.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:25 pm

rayiner wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:

Confirmed at town-hall meeting that 60% of C/O 2011 got a job out of OCI. Current stats suggest this year will be the same or somewhat better.

I had an interview for NW, and my interviewer said something interesting but that I'm skeptical about. They said that employers know that NW looks for people with work experience or people that can show maturity that other schools may not look for. I thought this might be reverse, and that people hire more NW grads because they ACTUALLY have work experience, and not just because NW accepted them. What do you think Rayiner??

buster

Postby buster » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:37 pm

at this point it's all personality fit.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:47 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
rayiner wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:

I had an interview for NW, and my interviewer said something interesting but that I'm skeptical about. They said that employers know that NW looks for people with work experience or people that can show maturity that other schools may not look for. I thought this might be reverse, and that people hire more NW grads because they ACTUALLY have work experience, and not just because NW accepted them. What do you think Rayiner??

I think your characterization is the most accurate: that employers hire more NU students because they have relevant WE. However, I do think that there is a cumulative benefit from that. I think employers come here a bit more prepared to look hard at someone's resume and not just at their grades.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:10 pm

rayiner wrote:
I think your characterization is the most accurate: that employers hire more NU students because they have relevant WE. However, I do think that there is a cumulative benefit from that. I think employers come here a bit more prepared to look hard at someone's resume and not just at their grades.

Hmm, makes sense. Thanks dude.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:08 pm

rayiner wrote:I think your characterization is the most accurate: that employers hire more NU students because they have relevant WE. However, I do think that there is a cumulative benefit from that. I think employers come here a bit more prepared to look hard at someone's resume and not just at their grades.

So not very strong and not relevant WE+NU Law=>OCI Fail?

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Well, they both love the spread, but Michigan loves the option a bit more! Defensively, go anywhere except Michigan!

Kidding aside, Michigan is better, both in football, and law school, but to me either way, if you get into both Northwestern AND Michigan, you can do almost anything you want!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:22 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
rayiner wrote:I think your characterization is the most accurate: that employers hire more NU students because they have relevant WE. However, I do think that there is a cumulative benefit from that. I think employers come here a bit more prepared to look hard at someone's resume and not just at their grades.

I don't think you'd be any worse off than you would be otherwise, but I don't think you'll do as well as you might expect given the school's overall numbers.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:24 pm

dcman06 wrote:if you get into both Northwestern AND Michigan, you can do almost anything you want!

This seems woefully optimistic.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:53 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:

Unless you are top 10-15% or whatever, I think you'd be at a disadvantage because you are competing against your classmates at the screening stage. If your classmates interviewing at X firm have really good work experience while your GPA is only slightly better than theirs and you have comparatively bad WE, their WE may lead to them getting a callback over you.

I honestly think good WE (or military experience) plays a greater role in determining your OCI results than written-on law review.

Mourinho349

Postby Mourinho349 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Last edited by Mourinho349 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aboutmydaylight

Postby aboutmydaylight » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:27 pm

Bruh this is a 4 year old thread.

Mourinho349

Postby Mourinho349 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Mourinho349 wrote:I've been digging through some of these older NU v. Michigan threads (sorry for resurrecting a thread from four years ago, but I figured I would do this rather than get hit with the "use the search function" reply).

I guess it's a lose-lose.

aboutmydaylight

Postby aboutmydaylight » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:33 pm

How much is an LLM worth to you? Does ED Michigan even help?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Mourinho349 wrote:
Mourinho349 wrote:I've been digging through some of these older NU v. Michigan threads (sorry for resurrecting a thread from four years ago, but I figured I would do this rather than get hit with the "use the search function" reply).

I guess it's a lose-lose.

Yup.

But thanks for the trip down memory lane.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30 pm

I love how history has proven the whole "Michigan is a mini-tier above DNC" decisively wrong.

But seriously, retake.

manu6926

Postby manu6926 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:32 pm

In terms of overall reputation, Michigan >> Northwestern.
I'd go with Michigan to be on the safe side.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:33 pm

manu6926 wrote:In terms of overall reputation, Michigan >> Northwestern.
I'd go with Michigan to be on the safe side.

lol.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”