Philly vs. Indy quality of life

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which city is better?

Philly
79%
Indy
21%

Total votes: 71

paratactical

Re: Philly vs. Indy quality of life

Postby paratactical » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:06 am

paratactical wrote:Bonus: If you live in Philly, you can use NJ public transit to get to NYC on the cheap.

Don't forget megabus or the chinatown bus for NYC or DC.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:07 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 pm

manbearwig wrote:
paratactical wrote:Bonus: If you live in Philly, you can use NJ public transit to get to NYC on the cheap.

I wouldn't trust the Chinatown bus if I were you. It's not worth the risk.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:37 pm

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:13 pm

paratactical wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

Sure, but IME, the bus is good for DC, but NJ transit is better for NYC. Trying to get from Philly to NYC on highways is a pain in the ass and most of the NJ transit is cheap commuter rail trains, which have schedules and shit.

Legit answer. I always use NJ transit to get to NYC, was just pointing out the other options.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:35 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

I wouldn't trust the Chinatown bus if I were you. It's not worth the risk.

The risk? I guess you don't fly in airplanes or drive in cars then, either.

I fly in airplanes where the pilot are supposed to have licenses. I fly airplanes that are inspected regularly and are certified at least by a somewhat accountable agency.

As for cars, I am licensed and I know my cars are safe (because I inspect them).

As for Chinatown buses... If you lived around here for a while you would recall about 2-3 bus accidents every year involving non-greyhound, non-peterpan bus companies where the driver is unlicensed and the bus is totally unsafe to operate...

I'd not trust Chinese bus companies and Chinese restaurants, but I guess that's because I am Chinese :lol:

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:48 pm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:55 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I'd not trust Chinese bus companies and Chinese restaurants, but I guess that's because I am Chinese :lol:

QFwasist.

Also, you're an idiot.

I suppose you don't understand a joke even with the aide of a smiley... :cry:

If you ever worked for a Chinese bus company and a Chinese restaurant you'd understand.

BTW I don't think you can get a CDL without being able to speak English. Keep that in mind next time you take one of them buses.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:As for "extra" cost of a car... the cost of living, especially housing, is much more in the city (in areas you want to live in anyway).

Lies. The areas I want to live in are West Philly past 45th St., South Philly around the Tasker-Morris or Snyder stops on the orange line, or somewhere up in North Philly near the orange line. Those places are all somewhat cheap.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Not really a bonus.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:22 pm

biggamejames wrote:
r6_philly wrote:As for "extra" cost of a car... the cost of living, especially housing, is much more in the city (in areas you want to live in anyway).

Lies. The areas I want to live in are West Philly past 45th St., South Philly around the Tasker-Morris or Snyder stops on the orange line, or somewhere up in North Philly near the orange line. Those places are all somewhat cheap.

Avoid North Philly at all costs.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:27 pm

North Philly? Nice knowing ya.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:32 pm

beach_terror wrote:North Philly? Nice knowing ya.

I know a couple guys who live up there. There are neighborhoods that arent too bad, especially for what you pay.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:02 pm

biggamejames wrote:

I know a couple guys who live up there. There are neighborhoods that arent too bad, especially for what you pay.

I would still be weary of North Philly, almost anything north of Girard can quickly become rundown and depressing. If you're looking for cheap places, I'd recommend sticking with places in South Philly that are close to the Broad St. line. Even there though, it can sometimes be block to block though. This link gives you a general idea of areas to avoid. While not perfect, it gives you an idea of what areas you would generally stay away from.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 6&t=h&z=15

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:10 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:
biggamejames wrote:

I would still be weary of North Philly, almost anything north of Girard can quickly become rundown and depressing. If you're looking for cheap places, I'd recommend sticking with places in South Philly that are close to the Broad St. line. Even there though, it can sometimes be block to block though. This link gives you a general idea of areas to avoid. While not perfect, it gives you an idea of what areas you would generally stay away from.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 6&t=h&z=15

That map is flawed in that it isn't labeled "you better not be here" next to the area around lasalle

Return to “Choosing a Law School”