Philly vs. Indy quality of life

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which city is better?

Philly
79%
Indy
21%

Total votes: 71

denesko

Philly vs. Indy quality of life

Postby denesko » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi all!

I've recently been accepted to two T2 schools with significant schollys, Temple and UI-Indy. I know that these are both very regional schools and that I will end up working wherever I go. Since I will have pretty much no debt from either, its really come down to the cities themselves. My fiancee and I are open to the idea of living in Indianapolis or Philadelphia for a few years, as we are both from Ohio (smack dab in the middle!). I'm currently visiting Indy, and it seems okay so far - but then again, so did Philly. I think maybe there is less to do here? I am leaning towards Philly because its larger but I've just heard so many awful things, although I do have a cousin at UPenn for graduate school who seems to love it (no personal experience votes for Indy yet, but my current host seems rather meh/apathetic about it). Please no "neither" responses :(

*EDIT: Also wanted to say, would be interested in hearing why if you have an opinion for either. Or any personal experiences about safety, fun, etc.

manbearwig

Re: Philly vs. Indy quality of life

Postby manbearwig » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:01 pm

denesko wrote:Hi all!

I've recently been accepted to two T2 schools with significant schollys, Temple and UI-Indy. I know that these are both very regional schools and that I will end up working wherever I go. Since I will have pretty much no debt from either, its really come down to the cities themselves. My fiancee and I are open to the idea of living in Indianapolis or Philadelphia for a few years, as we are both from Ohio (smack dab in the middle!). I'm currently visiting Indy, and it seems okay so far - but then again, so did Philly. I think maybe there is less to do here? I am leaning towards Philly because its larger but I've just heard so many awful things, although I do have a cousin at UPenn for graduate school who seems to love it (no personal experience votes for Indy yet, but my current host seems rather meh/apathetic about it). Please no "neither" responses :(

*EDIT: Also wanted to say, would be interested in hearing why if you have an opinion for either. Or any personal experiences about safety, fun, etc.

:) I just moved into my apartment in center city Philadelphia for Temple. I've never been to Indianapolis before, so take that into account, but I love Philadelphia. I think it's an awesome city. Yeah people talk crap about it, but I wonder how many times they've actually been. There are unsafe areas, but that's true of every city. Also, center city is pretty safe. Basically, anywhere you can easily walk to from the center is a pretty safe area. Temple's in a crappy area but during the day, campus is safe, and there's no reason for you to be there at night. I love Philly because the atmosphere of it is so different from big cities like New York. The whole city is filled with residential neighborhoods, and you really get a sense of belonging.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Philly is an awesome city. One of my favorites and I've lived in a lot of places. As long as your'e cool with getting mugged once or twice, you'll love it.

schnoodle

Postby schnoodle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:14 pm

don't listen to blindmelon. philly is safe if you have two brain cells to rub together. it's got WAY more culture, way more fun, way more energy than indy.

rent will be a little higher, but i think it's worth it.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:19 pm

Been to Philly 2 or 3 times, once for 2 months. Love it. Great sports, great artsy stuff, great educational institutions, great history.

I know nothing about indy.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Philly is an awesome city. One of my favorites and I've lived in a lot of places. As long as your'e cool with getting mugged once or twice, you'll love it.

Notsureifserious.jpg

Who in their right mind is "cool" with getting mugged?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Philly is where it's at. Temple is very respected in the city as well.

hithere

Postby hithere » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Philly is a a great place and gets my vote. The suburbs around Philly are extremely nice (good homes, shopping, etc).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:34 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Philly is an awesome city. One of my favorites and I've lived in a lot of places. As long as your'e cool with getting mugged once or twice, you'll love it.

Notsureifserious.jpg

Who in their right mind is "cool" with getting mugged?

Haha. That was (sort of) a joke. Schnoodle is right though - its pretty safe if you're not an idiot/don't live in certain areas. My buddy's car has been broken into twice, but he also lives in an eh neighborhood. It is cheap though.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:51 am

Blindmelon wrote:My buddy's car has been broken into twice, but he also lives in an eh neighborhood. It is cheap though.

Don't leave anything in your car and you will be fine.

Temple area isn't as attractive or lively as Penn but Center City is only 5 minutes away. Philly isn't what it used to be, it is quite cool to live here now. I just started working in the city again after about 10 years and it is very nice and pleasant, about 100 times better than I remembered. You will enjoy it.

jlockhart6

Postby jlockhart6 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:44 pm

I would go Indy, the city is a fantastic clean city, and IU-Indy absolutely dominates the placement there. Penn you have some competition from within the city itself, just food for thought. I've been to both, like both, but as far as looking long term I would definitely go Indianapolis.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:27 pm

hithere wrote:Philly is a a great place and gets my vote. The suburbs around Philly are extremely nice (good homes, shopping, etc).

Philly suburbs are fucking ass. There is no reason to go to them unless you have to visit a friend.

I've spent time in both Philly and Indy. I live in Philly now. 'Nuff said.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:08 pm

biggamejames wrote:
hithere wrote:Philly is a a great place and gets my vote. The suburbs around Philly are extremely nice (good homes, shopping, etc).

Philly suburbs are fucking ass. There is no reason to go to them unless you have to visit a friend.

...Someone's bitter. What suburbs have you been to? Sure there are some crappy ones, but there are also some really nice ones.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:53 am

biggamejames wrote:

lol. Bryn Mawr? Gladwyne? Whitemarsh? Lower Merion? What are you smoking?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:27 pm

I can't comment on Indianapolis, but as a Philadelphia native, I can tell you that the city has made a HUGE resurgence in the past ten years. Lots of culture and amenities, without the staggering cost of living one would find in New York, Washington, or Boston.

As for the suburbs being "ass," nothing could be further from the truth. Most of Montgomery, Chester, and Delaware Counties in PA, along with much of Burlington, Camden, and Gloucester Counties in NJ provide great housing stock and public schools.

clevinger33

Postby clevinger33 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:40 pm

They don't call it "Naptown" for no reason.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:16 pm

HeavenWood wrote:I can't comment on Indianapolis, but as a Philadelphia native, I can tell you that the city has made a HUGE resurgence in the past ten years. Lots of culture and amenities, without the staggering cost of living one would find in New York, Washington, or Boston.

As for the suburbs being "ass," nothing could be further from the truth. Most of Montgomery, Chester, and Delaware Counties in PA, along with much of Burlington, Camden, and Gloucester Counties in NJ provide great housing stock and public schools.

As an unhappy tax payer in Delco, I suggest you leave it out of this list. Most of Delco east of I476 with the exceptions of Havertown (not for long), Broomall and Springfield are not great and do not provide "great housing stock" nor good schools.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:43 pm

beach_terror wrote:
biggamejames wrote:

There is nothing to do in those places, the people are snotty, the public transportation sucks, and it's next to impossible to find a bar that has the Philly Special. As a bonus, if you go to Lower Merion they apparently spy on you with secret remote operated webcams.

The city proper, on the other hand, is pretty awesome.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 pm

manbearwig wrote:
biggamejames wrote:

...Someone's bitter. What suburbs have you been to? Sure there are some crappy ones, but there are also some really nice ones.

They'd better be REALLY nice to justify the $10 and 40 minutes it would cost me to get there on regional rail.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:52 pm

biggamejames wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
biggamejames wrote:

There is nothing to do in those places, the people are snotty, the public transportation sucks, and it's next to impossible to find a bar that has the Philly Special. As a bonus, if you go to Lower Merion they apparently spy on you with secret remote operated webcams.

The city proper, on the other hand, is pretty awesome.

I'd rather settle down in Gladwyne/Bryn Mawr than in the city itself. No need for public trans outside of the city (unless you don't own a car?). The above burbs are so much nicer than the city. If you want to prowl on women, just go downtown. For everything else, the burbs are TCR.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:16 pm

beach_terror wrote:I'd rather settle down in Gladwyne/Bryn Mawr than in the city itself. No need for public trans outside of the city (unless you don't own a car?). The above burbs are so much nicer than the city. If you want to prowl on women, just go downtown. For everything else, the burbs are TCR.

+1 I love the city, but when I want to raise a family one day, I'll live in the burbs.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:23 am

beach_terror wrote:I'd rather settle down in Gladwyne/Bryn Mawr than in the city itself. No need for public trans outside of the city (unless you don't own a car?). The above burbs are so much nicer than the city. If you want to prowl on women, just go downtown. For everything else, the burbs are TCR.

No, I don't own a car, and it'll probably be a long time before I can afford one. More importantly, I don't want to have to waste money and hassle on a car at all. In the city, I can get essentially everywhere on my bike or, if necessary, by SEPTA. There is no getting around the huge extra cost of a car in the burbs.

What are you going to do in Lower Merion, anyway? Like, how will you occupy your time?

sdv

Postby sdv » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:09 am

jlockhart6 wrote:I would go Indy, the city is a fantastic clean city, and IU-Indy absolutely dominates the placement there. Penn you have some competition from within the city itself, just food for thought. I've been to both, like both, but as far as looking long term I would definitely go Indianapolis.

That's a pretty common misconception, actually. Self selection tends to dictate that Penn grads primarily go to new york, and truthfully Penn grads don't "compete" much more for Philly spots than they do for spots in any other major city (it's like not going to a T2 in Detroit because of Michigan). The Philly market is somewhat strange, because it's made up of several similar schools, but Temple has an excellent reputation and is the best deal in the state for residents (although I suppose that's not helpful to you, being from Ohio).

I can't speak to Indy, but I can offer a qualification about what others say about the cities. I came to Philly from Pittsburgh, and crossing the Allegheny mountains is the transition from the Midwest cities to the East coast cities. While Philly has more Midwest tendencies than any other east coast city, one thing I learned coming from the midwest was that people's frame of reference in regards to Philadelphia is completely skewed, knowingly or unknowingly, by comparisons with new york. This is where the stereotype of the philly attitude comes from, since it's pretty much impossible to compete with a city that large being so close, but Philly is so much larger than Indy (and Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus, Buffalo, etc) that it's perceived "weaknesses" might be viewed as strengths based on your frame of reference. The best example for me is SEPTA - it's blasted all the time for being terrible, but that's because it's so much worse than the public transportation in new york and DC (as any other city would be). The public transportation infrastructure in Pittsburgh is nonexistent, so SEPTA runs circles around it - I'm sure it would compare favorably to anywhere in Ohio and Indiana as well.

Bottom line - you might be more comfortable in Indy because it will be more culturally similar to what you're used to (and closer to home). I personally loved Philly, but be aware that you'll need to visit and spend a bit of time there to get a feel - you might hate the fact that people are much more gruff and less generous than the midwest, or you might love the bustling, vibrant city lifestyle.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am

Philly is way better than Indy IMO and Temple has pretty respectable placement in Philly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:19 am

biggamejames wrote:No, I don't own a car, and it'll probably be a long time before I can afford one. More importantly, I don't want to have to waste money and hassle on a car at all. In the city, I can get essentially everywhere on my bike or, if necessary, by SEPTA. There is no getting around the huge extra cost of a car in the burbs.

What are you going to do in Lower Merion, anyway? Like, how will you occupy your time?

There are places for great food and drinks. Depend on your hobbies, there are plenty to do in the surrounding area, and if you have a car, you can get to them in 20 minutes or less.

As for "extra" cost of a car... the cost of living, especially housing, is much more in the city (in areas you want to live in anyway).

Also consider, Philly wage tax is about 3.9 percent for city residents right? so if you make $50k that's $1950. That's enough to pay your car insurance and buy maybe half the gas for the year.

Besides. you can get into the city in 15 minutes. you can get to King of prussia in 15 minutes. It isn't NYC, living in lower merion does not insulate you from the city at all. After all it is only about 5-10 miles from center city.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”