Stanford at sticker or UCLA with $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Knock

Re: Stanford at sticker or UCLA with $$$

Postby Knock » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:12 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
BeautifulSW wrote:Gosh. Stanford really IS as good as it gets and it's essentially alone in the legal stratosphere of the West Coast. Nevertheless, I'd opt for UCLA. Yeah, yeah, I know, but I'd just rather spend three miserable, expensive years in LA than in the (much more expensive) Bay Area. Palo Alto? What's in Palo Alto? And don't just blow off the money difference. Debt has long term consequences.

And if you got into Stanford, you'll probably blow the curve at UCLA Law so your career options might not be much better coming out of Stanford.

Disagree. Go to Stanford. They don't use traditional grading, just H/P, so there's a lot less pressure on you. From what I've heard, LS grading can be seemingly arbitrary. Plus Stanford is pretty much a paradise. I would easily sell my (non-existent) first, second, and third born to attend school there.

Stanford has a strong LRAP program and also has great job prospects. Since Stanford has the smallest classes out of any T14, only 170 students, their grads are in strong demand. Additionally a significant portion (~20% i've heard tosses around) chooses to go into public-interest work, plus another portion gets clerkships, so there really is much less competition for biglaw, and it seems that anyone who wants it can get it.

This. I love UCLA, but there's a huge employment difference in this economy. Being above the 75ths doesn't guarantee "beating the curve," as folks have made clear on here over and over again. *Correct me if I'm wrong* BUT even if you're bottom 10% at SLS, as long as you can get AT LEAST 1 H, things seem to be fine when it comes to finding a firm gig.

Look, nothing is a guarantee, even HYS. The debt is worth the level of security they provide though, I think.

Haha, I'm becoming Kretzky jr. in terms of pro-Stanford trolling :D.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Knockglock wrote:Haha, I'm becoming Kretzy jr. in terms of pro-Stanford trolling :D.

Thankfully, I was an SLS troll even before I got in, so I think you have the right idea. :D

I do maintain, however, that there are legitimate reasons to take any of the T10 over their peers. It's not crazy to take NYU over HLS or SLS, or Columbia over YLS, or ever Virginia with full scholly over one of HYS. I like to think I'm a troll for the top programs, with only a slight advantage to SLS, since it'll be my home the next 3 years.

There is, though, a palpable enough difference between UCLA and SLS that would merit taking SLS at sticker over UCLA with significant money. The difference between 95% placement and 35% placement is worth the investment, and I do agree that it'll recoup itself over the years.

accidental1L

Postby accidental1L » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:36 am

I am going to SLS, even if it does mean I have to tear all the shelving I installed off the walls and go into horrific debt.

I just think I'd regret it forever if I had the chance to go to HYS and decided not to.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:37 am

accidental1L wrote:I am going to SLS, even if it does mean I have to tear all the shelving I installed off the walls and go into horrific debt.

I just think I'd regret it forever if I had the chance to go to HYS and decided not to.

Good call. Congrats again and please share your experiences at SLS with TLS!

Lt. Aldo Raine

Postby Lt. Aldo Raine » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:50 am

Amelie and accidental1L,

Please PM me with what you end up deciding to do for housing and how the financial aid game goes. I am trying for walk-in housing at Munger, but I have a few friends from undergrad that are still in the area as a fallback.

I agree that it is crazy stressful to be doing this on short notice, but, after all, it is Stanford. I'm not done with my current job until 8/13. I'm not leaving Chicago to drive to Palo Alto until 8/20. Nonetheless, I am unbelievably excited about this opportunity. I'm probably sounding a bit like Kretzy now with my trollish boosterism, but you get the point. I look forward to meeting all three of you in only three weeks!

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:14 pm

But you might regret it for 25 years worth of Sallie Mae if you DO go to Stanford but DON'T get (or cordially loathe) a biglaw job. No one on the West Coast will laugh at a UCLA J.D., especially with a decent class ranking.

I know, I know...I myself have played the "What if?" game. Maybe you're right after all. Anyway, good luck!

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Here's how obvious this is:

If you had to watch your apartment burn down with all your stuff (and your puppy) in it, then hike across broken glass for 100 miles carrying your one remaining possession - a grand piano - to go to Stanford, you should do it.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Go to Stanford. You'll have no problem finding someone to take your lease near UCLA.

accidental1L

Postby accidental1L » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:50 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Here's how obvious this is:

If you had to watch your apartment burn down with all your stuff (and your puppy) in it, then hike across broken glass for 100 miles carrying your one remaining possession - a grand piano - to go to Stanford, you should do it.

Way to make a point while making me spit coffee all over my keyboard. You've clearly thought this out.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”