Splitter, hope is looking bleak

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dripworx

Splitter, hope is looking bleak

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:21 am

GPA is barely 3.0 because of the LSAC not counting any classes retaken, Im averaging about 166-170 on PT's now and Im taking the test in october.

Florida resident, and I wouldnt mind leaving the state at all.

I have not been an astronaut nor served the peace corps so, no softs for me. I paid my way through college by working part time so I doubt that helps at all, Im positive a big bulk of people do the same in their college years so its nothing special.

Any advice would be helpful!

Barbie

Re: Splitter, hope is looking bleak

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:22 am

Dripworx wrote:GPA is barely 3.0 because of the LSAC not counting any classes retaken, Im averaging about 166-170 on PT's now and Im taking the test in october.

I have not been an astronaut nor served the peace corps so, no softs for me. I paid my way through college by working part time so I doubt that helps at all, Im positive a big bulk of people do the same in their college years so its nothing special.

Where do you want to go? (fellow floridian)

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:27 am

Barbie wrote:
Dripworx wrote:GPA is barely 3.0 because of the LSAC not counting any classes retaken, Im averaging about 166-170 on PT's now and Im taking the test in october.

UF, UNC, American, I heard Fordham is good. top 50 preferably

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:31 am

Dripworx wrote:
Barbie wrote:

UNC I've heard is really hard for non-residents. UF is in the bag if you get the 166. I toured there recently and he said I should be looking at an acceptance and I only have a 3.1/163. American youll be fine. Fordham I'm not sure about... (I'm more about the south east) but I think they are pretty solid so you'll def need a kickbutt LSAT.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:31 am

Dripworx wrote:
Barbie wrote:

You could get UF if you get in your pt range. I am from florida as well. Tuition is real cheap. If your ok with staying in florida its probably your best bet unless you score in or above your upper pt range.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:33 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
Dripworx wrote:
Barbie wrote:

You could get UF if you get in your pt range. I am from florida as well. Tuition is real cheap. If your ok with staying in florida its probably your best bet unless you score in or above your upper pt range.

you didn't say FSU, but the adcomms told me they take the degree granting GPA... if that helps you. also, they favor LSAT more than GPA more than UF does...

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:34 am

thanks guys

My biggest incentive for UF is the price so I hear ya!!

autoding

Postby autoding » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Dripworx wrote:GPA is barely 3.0 because of the LSAC not counting any classes retaken

That's strange, I retook 2 classes and only the 2nd time counted for me. Otherwise my 2.6 gpa would have been like a 2.3 lol.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:14 pm

autoding wrote:
Dripworx wrote:GPA is barely 3.0 because of the LSAC not counting any classes retaken

That's strange, I retook 2 classes and only the 2nd time counted for me. Otherwise my 2.6 gpa would have been like a 2.3 lol.

I've retaken 3 classes throughout my UG, and while they do count the new grade, they ALSO count the old grade.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Focus on killing the LSAT.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Advice?

Take the LSAT and get back to us.

paz

Postby paz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:21 pm

rad law wrote:Advice?

/thread

autoding

Postby autoding » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:02 pm

Barbie wrote:
autoding wrote:

I've retaken 3 classes throughout my UG, and while they do count the new grade, they ALSO count the old grade.

Mine didn't.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:07 pm

autoding wrote:
Barbie wrote:
autoding wrote:

Mine didn't.

Strange. How do you know? What exactly counted for you then? LSP GPA calculator worked perfectly for me-- i included the new grades-- every single grade on my transcript, even ones forgiven-- and it gave me the GPA that was actually calculated.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 pm

autoding wrote:

So do they just average the old and the new grades? This might make some other schools a possibility...

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Dripworx wrote:
autoding wrote:

So do they just average the old and the new grades? This might make some other schools a possibility...

if you dont know your GPA, go to Lawschoolpredictor.com and use the GPA calculator. look at your transcript (in FL we look it up through facts.org) and type in EVERY grade. if you did grade forgiveness-- include BOTH grades. that will give you your LSGPA

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 pm

QFT. When you start talking about scores in the upper 160s/lower 170s, every point is gold. Hitting at the top of your range will give you a radically different outlook than hitting at the bottom. So before you start playing with hypotheticals, nail that LSAT.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:00 pm

beachbum wrote:

QFT. When you start talking about scores in the upper 160s/lower 170s, every point is gold. Hitting at the top of your range will give you a radically different outlook than hitting at the bottom. So before you start playing with hypotheticals, nail that LSAT.

Good point... did the gpa calculator and its actually 2.78 but with the coming semester, It may come up to 3.0~

I have to nail the lsat if Im gonna go anywhere that isnt TTT

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Dripworx wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Good point... did the gpa calculator and its actually 2.78 but with the coming semester, It may come up to 3.0~

You may want to plug in straight As (or whatever you usually get) and see how much it would come up-- a lot of the time having your app in early is better than it being just a tad higher.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:22 pm

Barbie wrote:
Dripworx wrote:
beachbum wrote:

You may want to plug in straight As (or whatever you usually get) and see how much it would come up-- a lot of the time having your app in early is better than it being just a tad higher.

Ill do that, I usually get B+ on all my classes, my downfall has been strictly general ed classes (math, science, etc.)

Im hoping that a combo of ED, a possible DS and strong PS with an addendum will give me a good push but... as ive always strongly believed, prepare for the worst and hope for the best

Return to “Choosing a Law School”