Phoenix School of Law vs. Appalachian School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gwuorbust

Re: Phoenix School of Law vs. Appalachian School of Law

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:06 pm

we already have this thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123722

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Ty Webb wrote:The state of Virginia has:

UVA
William and Mary
George Mason
Washington And Lee
Richmond
Liberty
Regent

DC has:
GW
American
UDC
Georgetown
Catholic

NC has:
Wake
Duke
UNC
Elon
Campbell
Charlotte

Doesn't West Virginia also have a law school?

That's like 25 schools within a pretty small radius of Appalachian. You're not getting a big firm job out of Appalachian, so you'll be competing with graduates of a combination of these schools for the jobs that you do apply for. Ergo, don't go to either of these schools.

I doubt many graduates from those school work in SW Virginia. Appalachia is like it's own world, man.

My advice: visit Appalachia before you to go Appalachian Law. It's a very distinct region, and if you don't like it, don't go.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:17 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

UVA
William and Mary
George Mason
Washington And Lee
Richmond
Liberty
Regent

DC has:
GW
American
UDC
Georgetown
Catholic

NC has:
Wake
Duke
UNC
Elon
Campbell
Charlotte

That's like 25 schools within a pretty small radius of Appalachian. You're not getting a big firm job out of Appalachian, so you'll be competing with graduates of a combination of these schools for the jobs that you do apply for. Ergo, don't go to either of these schools.

I doubt many graduates from those school work in SW Virginia. Appalachia is like it's own world, man.

My advice: visit Appalachia before you to go Appalachian Law. It's a very distinct region, and if you don't like it,
don't go.

ftfy

BG4444

Postby BG4444 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:04 pm

haha

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:13 am

beautiful

PSAS anyone?

crallen

Postby crallen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:47 pm

I know this thread is a little old and has died down, but I just thought it was worth mentioning for the OP that one's own situation should ultimately be their deciding factor. ASL is my safety school and while it isn't my intent to go there, I would if I had to. I am on a delay from active duty in the Army and as such I need to go wherever is accredited to move into the JAG Corps. After the Army I intend to live in small town Kentucky where I am from and have my own practice. In my respect, I don't believe ASL will hurt me, though it surely will not HELP me like going to a better school would. Just saying... this forum has ALOT of great advice. But it also has alot of people who rely solely on their experience with great test scores and GPAs and the belief that everyone wants to work in big law when in reality, not all of us do. If your situation and goals mesh with that of a T4 school, then make the best of it. You don't have to be in the big time in NYC to make a successful life for yourself in law.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:02 pm

**sniff sniff**.... smells like Norb **sniff** ...is Norb?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Barbie wrote:**sniff sniff**.... smells like Norb **sniff** ...is Norb?

its the NorB that never grew legs :lol:

BG4444

Postby BG4444 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:50 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
U Albany. #1 Party school in US [insert made up statistic to con people into spending 4+ years of their life in Albany here.]

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/ ... hool_x.htm

2004 - USA Today which talked about U Albany returning to #1 on the top party school list.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:16 am

Candy is apparently a student at Phoenix law now....

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:38 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Candy is apparently a student at Phoenix law now....

plz explain

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:16 am

NC also has North Carolina Central University

UVA
William and Mary
George Mason
Washington And Lee
Richmond
Liberty
Regent

DC has:
GW
American
UDC
Georgetown
Catholic

NC has:
Wake
Duke
UNC
Elon
Campbell
Charlotte

You're better off taking that $150,000 you're about to blow and playing high-stakes blackjack for a night at the Wynn. Seriously. The odds of you coming out ahead are better doing that, plus you'll get a silly amount of comps and you'll have much more fun than with 3 years in law school.

Mr. T

Postby Mr. T » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:22 am

She's kinda cute :)

BG4444 wrote:
Romeosgal wrote:I can highly recommend the Phoenix School of Law. They have a great faculty - including several retired judges; In February, they had a higher bar pass rate than both Arizona State University and University of Arizona's law schools; and the job placement rate is really high. This school has really grown in reputation as well as size in the last couple of years, and for good reason. I have friends who have attended and gotten their JDs from this school and they are happy with their experiences.

Maybe you are Candy? I haven't see these stats elsewhere.

I am not trying to suggest that PSL is a good school but I would like to know what people here think about this link:

http://www.phoenixlaw.edu/askcandy/post ... -Rate.aspx

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:02 am

gwuorbust wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Candy is apparently a student at Phoenix law now....

plz explain

On one of the pages linked in this thread, it says that her husband was a 2009 Phoenix law grad, and that she started the part-time program the same year.

cvancaraj

Postby cvancaraj » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:47 am

First off, your LSAT score is fine and I would not waste your time or money retaking it a fourth time. Second, both of these schools will provide you with a good education and a J.D. Third, Phoenix School of Law has a higher bar passage rate than both Arizona State University and University of Arizona so I'm not sure why some people on here are being so negative and actually somewhat arogant. Fourth, unless you graduate from Harvard or Yale, your career in law will be determined more so by your performance than by which school you attend. Finally, in the middle of December, the average temperature in Phoenix is about 70....

Good luck

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:40 am

cvancaraj wrote:First off, your LSAT score is fine and I would not waste your time or money retaking it a fourth time. Second, both of these schools will provide you with a good education and a J.D. Third, Phoenix School of Law has a higher bar passage rate than both Arizona State University and University of Arizona so I'm not sure why some people on here are being so negative and actually somewhat arogant. Fourth, unless you graduate from Harvard or Yale, your career in law will be determined more so by your performance than by which school you attend. Finally, in the middle of December, the average temperature in Phoenix is about 70....

Good luck

1. No it's not
2. Anyone can get a JD, the degree doesn't have that much inherent value
3. Bar passage rate does not correlate with jobs or prestigious jobs
4. lol no

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 pm

rad law wrote:
cvancaraj wrote:First off, your LSAT score is fine and I would not waste your time or money retaking it a fourth time. Second, both of these schools will provide you with a good education and a J.D. Third, Phoenix School of Law has a higher bar passage rate than both Arizona State University and University of Arizona so I'm not sure why some people on here are being so negative and actually somewhat arogant. Fourth, unless you graduate from Harvard or Yale, your career in law will be determined more so by your performance than by which school you attend. Finally, in the middle of December, the average temperature in Phoenix is about 70....

Good luck

1. No it's not
4. lol no

Rad, you forgot to say retake....

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:59 pm

re take, re apply or dont go

CG614

Postby CG614 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:16 pm

I can't believe this has not been posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yroKIGCtcwY

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 pm

cvancaraj wrote:Third, Phoenix School of Law has a higher bar passage rate than both Arizona State University and University of Arizona so I'm not sure why some people on here are being so negative and actually somewhat arogant.

Didn't they only beat ASU/UofA on ONE February exam? That's a MUCH lower sample size and it's not as if the best and brightest from ASU/UofA are taking the February exam - mostly the only ones taking it in February are those who failed in August. You're also comparing a school that teaches bar prep-style and fails out underperformers to two schools who don't.

cvancaraj wrote:Fourth, unless you graduate from Harvard or Yale, your career in law will be determined more so by your performance than by which school you attend.

What about Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, Berkeley, Duke, Northwestern, Cornell, Georgetown? At a lot of these schools you can have a below-average GPA and still land a job with one of the best law firms in the country. Can you do that from Phoenix School of Law?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
rad law wrote:

Good luck

1. No it's not
4. lol no

Rad, you forgot to say retake....

Thanks aqua, I am off my "A" game.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:04 pm

Good luck

Bar passage rate doesn't pay off loans.

serdog

Postby serdog » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:59 am

If in had OPs numbers and i was totally determined to go to Law school. I would attend a public school they might be no better then the rest of 4th tier however tutions is more $10,000 less then either of those school.

joemkirch

Postby joemkirch » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Didn't read through most of the posts, so advanced apologies if this has already been thrown out there:

No one wants to live in Grundy, VA. There is literally nothing there. If you go to App, you might as well go to Kentucky (not far from app school of law) because you will be hard-pressed to find a job in southwestern VA. If you are lucky, you can find a job in Roanoke, Lynchburg, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, or Radford areas, but they are still a small hike from App school of law.

I have lived in VA for 20 years, and I can't think of one reason to live out there in Grundy.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:59 pm

I just love when people drag out this thread from the depths of TLS. it really is the NorB thread that never was.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”