Non-Lawyer for Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
truffleshuffle

Re: Non-Lawyer for Law School

Postby truffleshuffle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Skyhook wrote:OP, do you mean "don't want to be lawyers" as nothing to do with law, or not being an attorney?
If you mean the latter then academia is a good reason.

The same goes for something like NCAA compliance. You don't even need a JD, just any graduate degree, but the rules are written by lawyers, the NCAA hires JD's for its enforcement staff, and your working with case law and Title IX. Your aren't a practicing attorney, but, you are working with the law.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 am

StewartG wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
StewartG wrote:Are there any good reasons for going to law school for people who don't want to be lawyers?

Go into management consulting for Mckinsey or Bain right out of a T6 law school.

Interesting! Do consulting firms actively recruit JDs? And at T6 schools?

Yes. 1-2% of top school graduating classes head into management consulting either with Bain or Mckinsey. I haven't heard of anyone going to slightly less prestigous firms like LEK or Monitor, but it may happen.

Starting salary is slightly lower (130k vs. 160k), but salary growth potential is much higher. Also, the work you do may be more interesting initially (make a powerpoint to tell a German toy manufacturer why their company is losing income vs. writing too many briefs and having to wait several years for real action at a biglaw firm). Also, hours are different, while many Biglaw firms have consistenly crappy hours, management consultants may have two random weeks every once in a while "on call" where they get to have free time until another project comes up. However, they also some weeks where they are with a client and work 130 hours.

StewartG

Postby StewartG » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:07 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
StewartG wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
StewartG wrote:Are there any good reasons for going to law school for people who don't want to be lawyers?

Go into management consulting for Mckinsey or Bain right out of a T6 law school.

Yes. 1-2% of top school graduating classes head into management consulting either with Bain or Mckinsey. I haven't heard of anyone going to slightly less prestigous firms like LEK or Monitor, but it may happen.

From only T6 schools?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:47 pm

I would think that other national schools like Duke and Northwestern would also have some students who get consulting jobs. I don't know how many though.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:30 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I would think that other national schools like Duke and Northwestern would also have some students who get consulting jobs. I don't know how many though.

Perhaps.. from what i've heard it seems mainly concentrated in T6 (at least interviewers on campus wise)

Pip

Postby Pip » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:42 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
StewartG wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

Starting salary is slightly lower (130k vs. 160k), but salary growth potential is much higher. Also, the work you do may be more interesting initially (make a powerpoint to tell a German toy manufacturer why their company is losing income vs. writing too many briefs and having to wait several years for real action at a biglaw firm). Also, hours are different, while many Biglaw firms have consistenly crappy hours, management consultants may have two random weeks every once in a while "on call" where they get to have free time until another project comes up. However, they also some weeks where they are with a client and work 130 hours.

For the record, you should also know that places like McKinsey hire based on snob appeal. Where you graduated from in undergrad as well as your test score will pretty much serve to open or close the door in the first place. I had a friend while at Harvard's business school that had enough high passes to be on track for Baker Scholar... yet during the interview with McKinsey the question of her undergrad school came up. Unfortunately for her it was Rutgers. She was politely told that it wasn't good enough, regardless of her standing.

In my case even though I was well out of undergrad when I interviewed with them in law school, I was asked that my SAT scores were... so be prepared because the consultants game is more of a snob club than anything else at the bigger firms.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:50 pm

merichard87 wrote:I can agree with the poster above about being able to EVENTUALLY go into sectors other than law BUT I think its a dumb move to get a law degree if you never want to practice law. Most likely you're going to have to practice for some time before moving into business.

If you want to work in business go get an MBA.

This

Return to “Choosing a Law School”