Non-Lawyer for Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
StewartG

New

Non-Lawyer for Law School

Post by StewartG » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:07 am

Are there any good reasons for going to law school for people who don't want to be lawyers?

doinmybest

Bronze

Re: Non-Lawyer for Law School

Post by doinmybest » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:17 am

No.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:29 am

doinmybest wrote:No.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:33 am

clintonius wrote:

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:44 am

YES!
All of the richest people I know have JD's and are not lawyers, have never been lawyers. A JD opens tons of doors, even outside the legal profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fenderjsm88

Bronze

Post by fenderjsm88 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:52 am

kazu wrote:
clintonius wrote:
Edit: If you just really like debt.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:55 am

Great thread guys.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:02 am

StewartG

New

Post by StewartG » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:05 pm

pelmen74 wrote:YES!
All of the richest people I know have JD's and are not lawyers, have never been lawyers. A JD opens tons of doors, even outside the legal profession.
Is it sarcastic or not?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:11 pm

StewartG wrote:
Is it sarcastic or not?
for example if you want to be like these guys:

--ImageRemoved--

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
StewartG wrote:
Is it sarcastic or not?
for example if you want to be like these guys:

--ImageRemoved--
Not sarcastic. I went to a private school with a lot of rich kids, most of their dad's had JDs but were entrepreneurs, CEOs, etc. They are also obviously pretty smart so did not get a JD to "waste money". Lawyers hold positions in all sectors. One of the reason that many lawyers go to Big law is to make connections with corporations, who often take on Lawyers who represented them, as members of their boards or into other management positions. So yes, a JD is not only for a law career.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:25 pm

pelmen74 wrote:Not sarcastic. I went to a private school with a lot of rich kids, most of their dad's had JDs but were entrepreneurs, CEOs, etc. They are also obviously pretty smart so did not get a JD to "waste money". Lawyers hold positions in all sectors. One of the reason that many lawyers go to Big law is to make connections with corporations, who often take on Lawyers who represented them, as members of their boards or into other management positions. So yes, a JD is not only for a law career.
Yes, let's make decisions about people who operate at the margins...

Are you stupid?

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:26 pm

I can agree with the poster above about being able to EVENTUALLY go into sectors other than law BUT I think its a dumb move to get a law degree if you never want to practice law. Most likely you're going to have to practice for some time before moving into business.

If you want to work in business go get an MBA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:32 pm

bk187 wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:Not sarcastic. I went to a private school with a lot of rich kids, most of their dad's had JDs but were entrepreneurs, CEOs, etc. They are also obviously pretty smart so did not get a JD to "waste money". Lawyers hold positions in all sectors. One of the reason that many lawyers go to Big law is to make connections with corporations, who often take on Lawyers who represented them, as members of their boards or into other management positions. So yes, a JD is not only for a law career.
Yes, let's make decisions about people who operate at the margins...

Are you stupid?
No, obviously going to law school is a bad idea if you hate the idea of being a lawyer. But If you want to dream big, and don't want to work as a lawyer for the rest of your life, law school might not be the worst idea.
Last edited by pelmen74 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bingus McBadger

New

Post by Bingus McBadger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:33 pm

90% of the folks at my country club are JDs that don't practice. 80K entry fee. They're all doing alright. If you've got the money, a JD can't hurt you.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Bingus McBadger wrote:90% of the folks at my country club are JDs that don't practice. 80K entry fee. They're all doing alright. If you've got the money, a JD can't hurt you.
At this point 90% of the population are JDs

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:35 pm

pelmen74 wrote:But If you want to dream big, and don't want to work as a lawyer for the rest of your life, law school might not be the worst idea.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:38 pm

sundance95 wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:But If you want to dream big, and don't want to work as a lawyer for the rest of your life, law school might not be the worst idea.
Sigh. Everyone who is going to law school is taking a risk (even if its for free because you lose 3 years of work). If you hope that that risk will pay of, but don't bank on it, I don't see how that could possibly be stupid.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Good point. 90% of the reasons I hear anyone give for going to law school (even on TLS) are face palm worthy. Besides, who really knows if they definitely do or do not want to be a lawyer until they actually try it?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:42 pm

pelmen74 wrote:Sigh. Everyone who is going to law school is taking a risk (even if its for free because you lose 3 years of work). If you hope that that risk will pay of, but don't bank on it, I don't see how that could possibly be stupid.
Not all risks are inherently equal, HTH.

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:44 pm

StewartG wrote:Are there any good reasons for going to law school for people who don't want to be lawyers?
let's restart, if you have good business connections and are already wealthy, get a JD and your route to CEO-dom is 15 years shorter. Sadly, I will have to slave 100 hour weeks for at least the next 15 years (If I'm lucky enough).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:48 pm

pelmen74 wrote:let's restart, if you have good business connections and are already wealthy, get a JD and your route to CEO-dom is 15 years shorter. Sadly, I will have to slave 100 hour weeks for at least the next 15 years (If I'm lucky enough).
I'm pretty sure those people don't post on TLS so your words are wasted breath here.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:57 pm

pelmen74 wrote:
Sigh. Everyone who is going to law school is taking a risk (even if its for free because you lose 3 years of work). If you hope that that risk will pay of, but don't bank on it, I don't see how that could possibly be stupid.
If you go to LS not wanting to practice, and incur debt, you are banking on the risk paying off, aren't you? Additionally, you are banking on a more extreme risk then most law students, to wit, that you will be able to pay off your loans and live comfortably despite not working in the profession that you've paid six figures to have a chance to join.
pelmen74 wrote:I don't see how that could possibly be stupid.
Famous last words.

1Levening2013

New

Post by 1Levening2013 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:58 pm

i am not classifying myself in the CEO-dom crowd by any means, but i have 6+yrs of work experience, have big law+ salary, and am going to law school with little to no intention of practicing formally

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Just the other night I found out that my cab driver had a JD, so obviously it opens doors to other professions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”