To ED or not?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

ED to MVPN or let cycle play out?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Let cycle play out
40%
ED to MVPN
25%
Wait for EA UT decision then depending on answer ED MVPN
35%

Total votes: 20

ArchRoark

To ED or not?

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Stats:
2.76/177/URM Mexican American/+WE

EDITED: Ok, I realize now that I would really enjoy going to UVA if I don't land in the T6.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Re: To ED or not?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 pm

I doubt you'll get into UT. They don't like sub-3.0 GPAs, and with the large volume of Hispanic applicants they get relative to northern/eastern schools you can't count on a URM boost there. You've got two big strikes against you regarding UT, at least relative to peer schools.

However, with your LSAT score (and an addendum justifying your low GPA) you should be very able to crack the T14. And MVP can all place pretty strongly into TX if you have TX ties, any of those degrees will be highly respected by most TX firms.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I doubt you'll get into UT. They don't like sub-3.0 GPAs, and with the large volume of Hispanic applicants they get relative to northern/eastern schools you can't count on a URM boost there. You've got two big strikes against you regarding UT, at least relative to peer schools.

However, TBF those schools don't have to matriculate 70% of their class from in state residents.

No one can really tell you that you don't have a shot at UT for sure. They definitely do not like to dip below 3.4 for non URM's, but how many sub 3.0, 175+, hispanic in-state applicants are really out there to compare yourself to? Also, I'm pretty sure that hispanic applicants get a boost. I know of someone that got accepted a few years ago with a 3.7 and a low 150 LSAT. Of course, standards have gotten tougher, but it was still a pretty big boost back then. If UT is really your top target, I'd get your app in on Sept 1 and go take a tour and schmooze the admissions office. Send them a letter with a note thanking them for the tour and letting them know how much you love the school. If you haven't gotten a decision back by the time some of the ED deadlines are approaching you can reformulate your strategy.

To answer your other questions, the top of the class at UT places well in NY/DC/CA and MVP can definitely get you back to Texas.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 am

vanwinkle - yup, thats what i have heard... plus UT was my undergrad and from what I have heard they tend favor people from other colleges or at least they don't give UT undergrads any sort of boost. A boy can dream tho. Aren't you at UVA? If so, how do you like it?

Stringer - Thanks for the post. Yah that is my plan. Get all my ducks in a row and submit asap and just hope for the best. After I get my app in I will be sure to take a tour. I've been meaning to go check out the LS building and grab some pics for that one thread.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:42 am

I wouldn't ED to UVA/Mich/NU because I think you'll get NU without ED.

You've got some shot at CCN, and how know about HYS but they are worth the APP.

Splitters have unpredictable cycles and so do URMs, you will have a very unpredictable one.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:19 am

Tiva wrote:vanwinkle - yup, thats what i have heard... plus UT was my undergrad and from what I have heard they tend favor people from other colleges or at least they don't give UT undergrads any sort of boost. A boy can dream tho. Aren't you at UVA? If so, how do you like it?

PM sent.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:21 am

Ok so I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I keep going back and forth. Basically, I have realized that I *think* I would, out of the lower T-14, enjoy most attending UVA (followed closely by UMich). I am pretty scared that I will hit their huge waitlist.

1) Seriously, what are my chances at CCN?
If they are non-existent then I am thinking I might as well just ED to UVA.

2)What do you guys think my chances are at RD UVA?

3)I have written a Why UVA essay. If I do end up deciding to ED to UVA, should I even bother including it with my app package?

Sorry to bump my ancient thread.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”