BU v. VANDY

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which One?

BU
14%
Vanderbilt
86%

Total votes: 57

dakatz

Re: BU v. VANDY

Postby dakatz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:41 pm

KMaine wrote:
dakatz wrote:The schools are pretty comparable, but given no scholarship from each, and the fact that you love Nashville, I'd def lean toward Vanderbilt.

Pretty sure the employment stats would not support the contention that the schools are "pretty comparable." Vanderbilt is better.

BU being in a big city almost always keeps it in the top 20 schools for biglaw placement. Vandy is typically ahead, but the margin is pretty small, unlike the gap between a BU and the average T-14. My vote def goes to Vandy though.

como

Postby como » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
como wrote:Definitely go to Vandy. Although both don't have great biglaw stats on the whole, you're soo much safer coming out of Vandy. BU is third in an already small market. Vandy is pretty much third to the entire south. When you're staring at median, it starts to look really nice to have options in smaller markets. With southern ties already from going to school in Vanderbilt, you should have no problem convincing employers in Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Charleston, Miami, et al. that you intend to practice in the south. Unless you are from Boston (I didn't catch whether you are), it will be harder to convince Boston firms that you're going to stick around.

Plus, Vanderbilt is a better school, Nashville is fun, and southern girls are charming. Congrats.

:roll: . If you want to work outside Boston, Vandy is the choice here.

I don't know why you're rolling your eyes. Don't we agree?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:29 am

KMaine wrote:
dakatz wrote:The schools are pretty comparable, but given no scholarship from each, and the fact that you love Nashville, I'd def lean toward Vanderbilt.

Pretty sure the employment stats would not support the contention that the schools are "pretty comparable." Vanderbilt is better.

Hahaha TITCR

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:32 am

dakatz wrote:
KMaine wrote:

BU being in a big city almost always keeps it in the top 20 schools for biglaw placement. Vandy is typically ahead, but the margin is pretty small, unlike the gap between a BU and the average T-14. My vote def goes to Vandy though.

lulz

If NLJ250 is a reasonable approximation for biglaw, 47% vs. 35% is not a small margin (2009 NLJ stats).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:14 am

como wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
como wrote:Definitely go to Vandy. Although both don't have great biglaw stats on the whole, you're soo much safer coming out of Vandy. BU is third in an already small market. Vandy is pretty much third to the entire south. When you're staring at median, it starts to look really nice to have options in smaller markets. With southern ties already from going to school in Vanderbilt, you should have no problem convincing employers in Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Charleston, Miami, et al. that you intend to practice in the south. Unless you are from Boston (I didn't catch whether you are), it will be harder to convince Boston firms that you're going to stick around.

Plus, Vanderbilt is a better school, Nashville is fun, and southern girls are charming. Congrats.

How is BU third? Harvard, then what?

como

Postby como » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:05 am

Blindmelon wrote:
como wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

How is BU third? Harvard, then what?

BC does better in Boston than BU.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:12 am

The stats say otherwise, but your random opinion is very persuasive little buddy!

tram988

Postby tram988 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:54 am

Blindmelon wrote:The stats say otherwise, but your random opinion is very persuasive little buddy!

What do the stats say? That BU places better? I don't think so. They are pretty much equal.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 am

tram988 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:The stats say otherwise, but your random opinion is very persuasive little buddy!

What do the stats say? That BU places better? I don't think so. They are pretty much equal.

Sorry if I implied one is better. The stats show they're equal. I just had issue with someone chiming in when they don't really know what they're talking about.

Btw Tram, good luck with school starting soon! They're a few BC/BU mixer type things, maybe I'll run into you at one. hah.

como

Postby como » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:10 am

Your patronizing tone is really persuasive too! Believe what you will. Obviously a student at BU is going to believe otherwise.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:20 am

como wrote:

Your patronizing tone is really persuasive too! Believe what you will. Obviously a student at BU is going to believe otherwise.

There are a zillion threads on this full of data, etc. No one wants to go into it again. Take it from Tram and I, BU and a BC student, its equal pretty much nation-wide. Any discrepencies are probably from self-selection. Believe what you want, I just don't want random people visiting this thread to mistake what you said for an informed opinion.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:38 am

Whichever one is cheaper. I would think they target different markets.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:20 am

Blindmelon wrote:
como wrote:

There are a zillion threads on this full of data, etc. No one wants to go into it again. Take it from Tram and I, BU and a BC student, its equal pretty much nation-wide. Any discrepencies are probably from self-selection. Believe what you want, I just don't want random people visiting this thread to mistake what you said for an informed opinion.

Agreed. Thanks for the positive wishes Blind. Hopefully I'll see you at one of the events!

boston13

Postby boston13 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Although I'm very impressed with BU & would have been proud to go there, Vandy it is. Thanks for all the insight. Good Luck to all.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:52 pm

boston13 wrote:Although I'm very impressed with BU & would have been proud to go there, Vandy it is. Thanks for all the insight. Good Luck to all.

Congrats and see you next year!

boston13

Postby boston13 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks, Rad Law! Looking forward to seeing you soon! You're gonna love Vandy/Nashville!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:00 pm

boston13 wrote:Thanks, Rad Law! Looking forward to seeing you soon! You're gonna love Vandy/Nashville!

I hope so! I visited for ASW and the city blew me away. Also, I'm pretty excited for tailgating/football season.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:11 pm

rad law wrote:
boston13 wrote:Thanks, Rad Law! Looking forward to seeing you soon! You're gonna love Vandy/Nashville!

I hope so! I visited for ASW and the city blew me away. Also, I'm pretty excited for tailgating/football season.

Lol, I"d be more excited about the tailgating than the football. A winless conference record from last year doesn't really create too much excitement :) Hey OP congrats on the school choice and best of luck to you!

Informative

Postby Informative » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:48 pm

boston13 wrote:
Is Vandy being ranked 17 that much better than BU being ranked 21.

Yes.

boston13 wrote:Hi everyone,

or is Vandy on that much of the upswing that it has a legitimate shot to jump into the T-14 within the next few years?

No.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”