U of Richmond Vs Brooklyn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Richmond Vs Brooklyn

U of Richmond
62%
Brooklyn Law School
38%

Total votes: 26

arorar86

U of Richmond Vs Brooklyn

Postby arorar86 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:18 am

If your only advice is retake and reapply please don't comment.
Any comments about Richmond and what kind of school it is will be really helpful as I am leaning towards Richmond.

manbearwig

Re: U of Richmond Vs Brooklyn

Postby manbearwig » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:20 am

arorar86 wrote:If your only advice is retake and reapply please don't comment.
Any comments about Richmond and what kind of school it is will be really helpful as I am leaning towards Richmond.

Where do you want to practice?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 am

Useless without where you want to practice, career goals, and scholarship offers.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:36 am

I'm from Richmond and live here currently, plus I'm reasonably familiar with the University itself. I don't know much about the law school other than that's where I took my LSAT, but I can answer pretty much any other question you have about the city. If that would help you.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:38 am

I know this is obvious and you might have done it already, but reading TLS's link for it may help in painting some picture of what U Richmond is like.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/richmond-law.html

But like manbearwig suggests, those two schools are quite different in both location and atmosphere. If you prefer the big city and really like NYC, then Brooklyn it is. But if you like a smaller feel on a more traditional college campus with trees, nature, etc., then U Richmond is the better option.

It should also be pointed out that while not impossible to end up somewhere else in the country, it will be easier to find yourself in NYC with Brooklyn, and it will be easier to find yourself in the Mid-Atlantic region with U Richmond in part because of the location and the relative alumni connections.

On a side note, I wish to congratulate U Richmond on reducing its class size annually until it reaches 150/year. Until they find a way of curbing the opening of law schools, more law schools should follow suit in such reductions.

arorar86

Postby arorar86 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 am

Being an international student, I don't have a preference when it comes to practicing in New York or Virginia/DC. I just feel that there are so many law schools in new york and brooklyn isn't one of the top ones.

Also I don't have any scholarship from either of the 2 schools..

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:52 am

arorar86 wrote:Being an international student, I don't have a preference when it comes to practicing in New York or Virginia/DC. I just feel that there are so many law schools in new york and brooklyn isn't one of the top ones.

Also I don't have any scholarship from either of the 2 schools..

Then retake/reapply.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 am

I went to Richmond for undergrad, so I can tell you about the social elements of the school, and maybe a little about the law school. It's expensive and not a particularly fantastic law school, but has little competition in a state capitol. If you have any specific questions, I'd try to help.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:18 am

arorar86 wrote:Also I don't have any scholarship from either of the 2 schools..

I know you don't want to hear this, but retake/reapply. These schools aren't worth the debt.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:01 am

arorar86 wrote:Being an international student, I don't have a preference when it comes to practicing in New York or Virginia/DC. I just feel that there are so many law schools in new york and brooklyn isn't one of the top ones
???

Virginia: Population - 7,882,590
NYC: Population - 8,363,710

Virginia law schools: 1. UVA, 2. W&M, 3. W&L, 4. GMU, 5. Richmond, 6. Appalachian?, 7. Regent?, 8. Liberty?
NYC law schools: 1. Columbia, 2. NYU, 3. Fordham, 4. Cardozo, 5. Brooklyn, 6. St. Johns, 7. NYLS, 8. CUNY Queens?, 9. Touro?

Not that this matters at all, but your point made no sense and was wrong. I thought I'd at least clear up the wrong part.

I'm not even going to respond to the question of which school, because 1) it probably does not matter and 2) as an international student, I don't really see the benefit of either one as a) you can't go into any type of government service, b) I don't see a small firm sponsoring a visa, and c) I'm not sure if the degree would be enormously helpful in your home country.

But forgetting all that, Richmond.

arorar86

Postby arorar86 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:18 am

Well I was comparing Richmond to NYC and not the whole of Virginia but going by the population statistics you are right. But Richmond is the capital of Virginia and U of Richmond is the only law school there which is not the same for brooklyn was my point.
And are you trying to say that no international student should go to law school in the US unless the university is in the top 30 or something? Think before you answer this.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:17 pm

arorar86 wrote:Well I was comparing Richmond to NYC and not the whole of Virginia but going by the population statistics you are right. But Richmond is the capital of Virginia and U of Richmond is the only law school there which is not the same for brooklyn was my point.
And are you trying to say that no international student should go to law school in the US unless the university is in the top 30 or something? Think before you answer this.
I'm beginning to think you're a troll based on your post history.

First, it depends on how you are defining 'international applicant'. If a student has residency in the United States and a visa is not required, then sponsorship is not an issue. This makes getting a job much easier. However, for the large number of international students wishing to work in the US that require sponsorship, attending law school at a school ranked in the 60s-100s does not make much financial sense. Of course, what 'makes sense' is dependant on the reasons a student chooses to attend law school. If a student has a job lined up that requires a JD from a US university, going to law school in the United States makes perfect sense as a job has already been secured. If a student is interested in killing three years in academic study and has a ton of cash to spare, going to law school makes perfect sense (well, maybe). If a student is interested in attending law school in the United States to secure a job in a large firm or other private body that will sponsor a visa, then yes, it makes little financial sense to attend a school outside of the top 30.

Do most students (international or domestic) have a lot of money to kill? No. Do most students (international or domestic) have a job lined up before they begin school? No. Unlike a domestic student, it is unlikely that a firm will hire an international student that requires sponsorship for doc review. Unlike a domestic student, it is extremely unlikely that an international student will be hired for a government position. So for many international students, those students that fit the above criteria, and for many domestic students law school can be a huge money sink.

ZachOda

Postby ZachOda » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Arorar86, I think HolyDonkey means that it may not be a good choice to attend law school in the United States as an international student if you plan on staying here and going to those schools. Donkey's point is that when going to either Brooklyn or URichmond, you will not be getting into the big firms most likely. Thus, your choices will be a) government work, b) small firm/ NPO, c) going back to your home country. As Donkey says, I do not think government agencies will hire international students, especially with the current state of the economy for domestic students. A small firm will also choose a domestic student over international so they do not have to sponsor a visa.

To be honest, his sentiments could be completely wrong, and I hope they are for your sake. But you will have to place very high in your respective class to get a chance at a larger firm and be able to pay off the debts you incur at these schools. You may want to take this year off, look at the opportunities that international students have in smaller firms or government work, and perhaps retake the LSAT so you can get a scholarship next cycle.

arorar86

Postby arorar86 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Thankyou ZachOda

holydonkey - Its funny how you call me "a troll based on my post history" when you are basing it on only my last post.
I didn't mean to provoke anyone. It's just that I know about 7-8 people which includes a couple of relatives who attended schools ranked between 60-80 and all of them except one, who moved back because of family reasons, got sponsored by law firms. The market situation is worse then before so maybe it'll be a little tougher now.

Anyways to get back to the topic, anyone who is currently attending Richmond and doesn't like it?

Bumi & ec2xs - do you know anything about on campus housing for lawstudents at the university and if I should prefer that over off-campus apartments.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:20 pm

I have no idea about on campus housing. I do know that the university is in the middle of a very wealthy suburban-feeling neighborhood in Richmond, so it's unlikely that you'll find an apartment building right across from campus, meaning that walking to class will be difficult from off campus housing. Biking is reasonable if you are nearby, but it's hilly.

Rent in Richmond for a 1BR range from $500 to $900 or more, depending on whether you want modern appliances. I lived in a very nice sized, modern place for $685/month for a few years, located about 12 minutes by car from UR (in the museum district, near the fan). With roommate(s) you can knock your monthly rent all the way down to the $400-$500 range without too much trouble.

There are a bunch of little houses not far from the university around the patterson and libbie area, and there are always some to rent. Unless on campus housing is cheap and compelling (I have no idea if it even exists), I'd try to find some roommates and grab one of those.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I just completed my 1L year at Richmond. I'm transferring out, but I highly recommend the school.

That said, one of my roommates had to pick between Richmond and BLS. He picked Richmond. He wants to practice in NY. It wasn't a great choice.

Pick where you want to practice. If you don't know, then you haven't done nearly enough research. You are quite possibly choosing your geographic area for the rest of your life. It's not a decision to be taken lightly.

Brooklyn is a "better" school in that it is higher ranked, but they are more or less the same: strong regional schools in markets with a lot of other schools. That said UR gets a ton of respect in VA, especially down here. If I wanted to work in the Richmond area, I'd take UR over George Mason very easily, and I can definitely see an argument for taking it over W&L.

arorar86

Postby arorar86 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:28 am

Can you tell me what school you are transferring to... and is it around the area (Virginia/DC)... just curious.
Also do you know anything about the law school on campus housing. They told me only 8 single rooms are there for law students on campus and they have a couple available. So clearly students don't want it. Would you recommend living off campus?

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:38 am

Go to Richmond, your from there for I assume you have connections, which will help. The Richmond legal market is different from NYC and probably still exist. Jobs their are probably more based on connections, desire to work there etc. more than ranking of law school outside of UVA and the T5 maybe T14. Either way if you can be happy living in Richmond your employment and quality of life prospects are probably better there graduating from Richmond than they would be in NYC graduating from Brooklyn.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:15 am

arorar86 wrote:Can you tell me what school you are transferring to... and is it around the area (Virginia/DC)... just curious.
Also do you know anything about the law school on campus housing. They told me only 8 single rooms are there for law students on campus and they have a couple available. So clearly students don't want it. Would you recommend living off campus?

I'm transferring to GULC.

The on-campus housing is just fine. I didn't live there, but I had friends who did and I spent some time there. They shared a common living area and had their own large dorm rooms. I personally would not live there, but I know plenty people who did and loved it. I even know several who came back for their 2nd year to live there.

I lived in an off-campus house <5 mins from the school and loved it. Very cheap rent, nice house, quick drive (I could get there in like <2 mins if there was no traffic).

I really just overall loved the school. I am sad to leave it, and I highly recommend it. I say that with the caveat, however, that you really have to understand you will be very likely working in the central/southern VA/richmond area. It's really a great area, though, and I'd encourage everyone to check it out.

Also, the post above that getting jobs here is more about connections than rank than other places is likely correct, but class rank is still going to be important. Obviously for BigLaw it matters a ton, but very few people out of UR are going to get BigLaw (although the Richmond firms do like to hire from the school... you'd need to be top 5-10%).

Branching out geographically is certainly possible, just difficult. I know some people make their way up to DC, and there's a decent amount of UR lawyers in NoVa. I have one friend who secured an internship with a DA's office up in NY, but he has strong NY ties and he sent out like 100+ resumes and had to work very, very hard to get it. (He was also top 15% of the class).

arorar86

Postby arorar86 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:50 pm

GULC is great congratulations...

Ok I just found out today that I got into rutgers camden ( I had applied really late )... any comments on that.. i still prefer richmond but i never did much research on camden before replying. any suggestion would be appreciated.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:58 pm

arorar86 wrote:GULC is great congratulations...

Ok I just found out today that I got into rutgers camden ( I had applied really late )... any comments on that.. i still prefer richmond but i never did much research on camden before replying. any suggestion would be appreciated.

thanks!

Easy answer:

Want to work in Jersey? Rutgers.

Want to work in Richmond/VA? Richmond

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:40 pm

apper123 wrote:
arorar86 wrote:GULC is great congratulations...

thanks!

Easy answer:

Want to work in Jersey? Rutgers.

Want to work in Richmond/VA? Richmond

+1

Rutgers does good in Jersey and pretty decent in Philly as well. However, if you're talking about Camden itself, lol, total shit hole. One of the most dangerous cities in the country. But, I guess, once you do your three years there, you have the whole rest of Jersey as your oyster.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”