Schools Most Generous with Scholarships?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tajiahao

Schools Most Generous with Scholarships?

Postby tajiahao » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 pm

Could someone help to shed some light on this.

LSAT: 171
Undergrad GPA: 3.4 (foreign)
Graduate GPA: 3.9 (US top 30 school)
Professional work experience: 5 years

Since I have a mortgage and a family, whether I can get enough scholarship is far more important than the ranking of the school as long as the school is in top 60.

I live in Arizona. So I will be applying to ASU and UofA. But would like to apply to a few more to be safe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bildungsroman

Re: Schools Most Generous with Scholarships?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:40 pm

Washington University in St. Louis is very generous with scholarship money, I would throw an application their way with that LSAT score. And it's a T20 school, so that's good.

acadec

Postby acadec » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, and W&L might also be good options for you.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:47 pm

While ASU and Arizona are likely to give you some big money with that LSAT score, generally private schools are more generous with money. The aforementioned Vandy, WashU, ND, and W&L are all great options. With you LSAT score, I would aim a little higher than any school in Arizona.

tajiahao

Postby tajiahao » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Thank you all for the great advice. Though it would be nice to go to a T20 school, I'll be happy with a T50 if I can get a full ride. Maybe I'm being naiive since I know very little about law school or the legal field. But I have no desire to do biglaw. I used to work for a big 4 accounting firm and I was told that biglaw would be even more stressful. I'm already in my 30's and don't think I can handle that.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:37 pm

If you go to either of those Airzona schools with a 170 I'll find you and punch you in the face. You could be looking at 50%-Full Ride at many of the T-30, Emory loves to throw money around and as a splitter like that, you may want to try your shot EDing GWU--ED acceptance gaurantees full ride

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Alabama & Iowa should offer you full tuition & fees. Alabama will probably add books.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:56 pm

If you absolutely want to stay in Arizona, then going to either ASU/Arizona is not completely crazy, as long as you are getting a full ride or very, very close to it. Schools like Iowa, Alabama, WashU, GW, ND, Emory, etc. will give you some very attractive offers, but I don't think you will be in a better position to return to Arizona and work (after all, these are all still very regional schools) than if you just attended ASU/Arizona.

Good luck!

tajiahao

Postby tajiahao » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Cupidity wrote:If you go to either of those Airzona schools with a 170 I'll find you and punch you in the face. You could be looking at 50%-Full Ride at many of the T-30, Emory loves to throw money around and as a splitter like that, you may want to try your shot EDing GWU--ED acceptance gaurantees full ride

Cupidity - I may just have to take the punch. Unless neither of the Arizona schools offer me a full ride, I'll be staying in Arizona. Thanks for the advice though. I'll appy to a few others too.

tajiahao

Postby tajiahao » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 pm

traehekat wrote:If you absolutely want to stay in Arizona, then going to either ASU/Arizona is not completely crazy, as long as you are getting a full ride or very, very close to it. Schools like Iowa, Alabama, WashU, GW, ND, Emory, etc. will give you some very attractive offers, but I don't think you will be in a better position to return to Arizona and work (after all, these are all still very regional schools) than if you just attended ASU/Arizona.

Good luck!

Thanks Traehekat! My sentiments exactly. Most likely I'll practice in Arizona, so I didn't think going to a regional school was that bad. It would probably save me a lot of money too since I'd be able to live at home.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”