Chicago vs. Ivy League

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rundoxierun

Re: Chicago vs. Ivy League

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:34 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
Eric475 wrote:Go to Duke for the sex appeal

Yeah, the local strippers love Duke students.

How did no one acknowledge this sooner? 180.

Probably because it was incredibly lame.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:00 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
dresden doll wrote:How did no one acknowledge this sooner? 180.

Probably because it was incredibly lame.

What was lame was the comment that preceded it. Hth.

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:40 pm

VandyTakingQuestions wrote:Ivy League is an athletic conference, doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the school (although everything school in the Ivy League is excellent). As far as law school goes, Yale>Harvard>Chicago>Penn>Cornell.

Blatant anti-Columbia trolling.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:42 pm

VandyTakingQuestions wrote:Ivy League is an athletic conference, doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the school (although everything school in the Ivy League is excellent). As far as law school goes, Yale>Harvard>Chicago>Penn>Cornell.

ftfy. i know, it's hard to remember brown and dartmouth exist.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:45 pm

jayn3 wrote:

ftfy. i know, it's hard to remember brown and dartmouth exist.

Dont diss Dartmouth.. those guys make bank. Sat in on a panel at Goldman and I swear like at least 1 out of every 4 people working there was a Dartmouth alum.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:06 pm

thedude221 wrote:
blink wrote:What do you mean by "appeal"?

If you mean rankings, then yes it's more highly ranked than Cornell and Penn, but not as high as Yale, Harvard, and Columbia.

I want to stay in Atlanta to work so I was just curious if going to UChicago would inhibit me from doing that, my pre-law advisor said it could but I just wanted a second opinion.

I'd invite anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want to work for Mid/Biglaw in Atlanta, Chicago may be a better option than all but Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.
While Columbia is ranked above Chicago and NYU is ranked a little below, Chicago's class size is SMALL. This means that as a Chicago grad, you are RARE in the Southern-oriented-top-6 legal hiring market. You'd be a steal for any firm in Georgia. Additionally, how many out of Chicago's small graduating class (or any of the top six schools) hope to work in Atlanta?

IMO this means that when you are placed next to a Duke, Vandy or any Southern-region grad, you will be very likely to be picked, even if they have outperformed you in grades.

As for comparing U of C to any Ivy league school in terms of prestige, educated people would place it ahead of all besides Harvard, Yale, and Princeton... uneducated people outside of the midwest probably don't even know it exists or think its some type of community college.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:15 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I'd invite anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want to work for Mid/Biglaw in Atlanta, Chicago may be a better option than all but Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.
While Columbia is ranked above Chicago and NYU is ranked a little below, Chicago's class size is SMALL. This means that as a Chicago grad, you are RARE in the Southern-oriented-top-6 legal hiring market. You'd be a steal for any firm in Georgia. Additionally, how many out of Chicago's small graduating class (or any of the top six schools) hope to work in Atlanta?

You say that UChi is better than CLS for the South and then say that it is rare at all of T6 schools for someone to want to work in the South. I agree with the second, and because of that, say that the first is probably false. The class size doesn't may come into play, but if you got into both and want to work in the South, I think money and possibly location would be larger considerations than class size.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:20 pm

I met someone a couple days ago who works as a paralegal for DoJ. He said that several of the attorneys he works with call Chicago " the Hollywood of law schools".

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Emma. wrote:I met someone a couple days ago who works as a paralegal for DoJ. He said that several of the attorneys he works with call Chicago " the Hollywood of law schools".

Why do they?

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:Does Chicago have the same appeal to law law firms? Yes.

Does Chicago have the same appeal to the opposite sex? Not even close.

The "I go to UChi Law" pick up line not having much success?

"Dude, that's cool my brother goes to UIC!"

Haha whenever I tell people on the east coast that my brother goes to University of Illinois at Chicago, they say "That's cool. Chicago's a pretty good school, right?"

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Emma. wrote:I met someone a couple days ago who works as a paralegal for DoJ. He said that several of the attorneys he works with call Chicago " the Hollywood of law schools".

Why do they?

I didn't ask, actually.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Emma. wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

Why do they?

I didn't ask, actually.

Is irony out of the question?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I'd invite anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.

You say that UChi is better than CLS for the South and then say that it is rare at all of T6 schools for someone to want to work in the South. I agree with the second, and because of that, say that the first is probably false. The class size doesn't may come into play, but if you got into both and want to work in the South, I think money and possibly location would be larger considerations than class size.

Good Point. I guess either school would be fine going down to the South, and most firms would be super impressed regardless of which you attended.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Ivy League.
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:04 pm

"Chicago Vs..." are popular on these boards. There was a Chicago vs NYU not too long ago, now Chicago vs Ivy League. What's next? Chicago vs. The Entire US Collegiate System?

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:12 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:when u say "I make 160K," regardless if u went to Chicago or an Ivy League.

But what kind of douche goes around telling people their salary?

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:28 pm

What up?
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blink

Postby blink » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:44 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:
doomed123 wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:when u say "I make 160K," regardless if u went to Chicago or an Ivy League.

But what kind of douche goes around telling people their salary?

The same ones who use going to an Ivy League school to pick up chics.

No way. Its normal for the school you went to to come up in conversation. Your salary? Only if you're a douche.

thedude221

Postby thedude221 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:07 pm

With a 3.96-3.98 and a 169 on the LSAT, if ED to UChicago what kind of chance do I have?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Is irony out of the question?

Ha ha. You could be right, but that certainly wasn't the way this guy represented it to me.

oscarthegrouch

Postby oscarthegrouch » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:58 pm

In terms of lay prestige, all of the Ivy, except for Penn State, beat out Chicago. Who cares though, because the prestige factor will mainly just matter for biglaw. If you don't land a job out of OCI, where the employers do know about Chicago's prestige, you are fucked anyway, and that's the entire point of going to Chicago (to land biglaw), AM I RITE?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:22 am

oscarthegrouch wrote:In terms of lay prestige, all of the Ivy, except for Penn State, beat out Chicago. Who cares though, because the prestige factor will mainly just matter for biglaw. If you don't land a job out of OCI, where the employers do know about Chicago's prestige, you are fucked anyway, and that's the entire point of going to Chicago (to land biglaw), AM I RITE?

If you are serious, this is wrong.

If this is a joke, it is not funny.

CapHillLove

Postby CapHillLove » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Last edited by CapHillLove on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:04 pm

lol @ the thought of impressing laypeople with law school brand names.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:19 pm

toolfan wrote:lol @ the thought of impressing laypeople with law school brand names.

+1. Even lay people are on to lawl school sham.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”