The Boston Market - Choosing a Law School.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Eric475

The Boston Market - Choosing a Law School.

Postby Eric475 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:34 am

I will be applying to law schools in the fall. No LSAT yet so I realize this thread is a bit early, buy I've got a 3.7 GPA and think I should be able to get up to at least a 170 by October, hopefully higher obviously.

My question is, for someone who's from the boston area (s. NH technically, born in Methuen lived in Lawrence until we moved to southern NH but still a little less than an hour north of Boston), what are the best schools to get jobs in the Boston marketAlso, I left the area for UG (going to Syracuse now).

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything recent enough to consider for ITE.

Basically,
1. Does my info provided above count as "ties" to Boston?
2. Let's say I get into onf of CCN (would be amazing), one of MVPB, Cornell/Gtown, and BC/BU. If I want to work in Boston, would it be better to go to CCN over BU/BC? What about MVPB over BU/BC? And what about Cornell/Gtown over BU/BC?

My gut instinct is that CCN, MVPB would be worth going to over one of the boston schools but I'd love more opinions. I feel that Cornell/Gtown over BC/BU (with intent to practice in Boston) is a much more questionable decision.

Also: Boston BigLaw is my goal.

thanks everyone in advance!
Last edited by Eric475 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Boston Market - Choosing a Law School.

Postby 270910 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:38 am

Recommendation: One of the more recent versions of Law School Confidential has an in-depth interview with a prestigious Boston law firm (Ropes & Gray) as well as a smaller New Hampshire firm. They cover lots of great information in general, but I think it would be particularly relevant to your inquiry since they talk a lot about Boston, ties, schools they recruit from, etc.

Eric475

Postby Eric475 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:06 pm

disco_barred wrote:Recommendation: One of the more recent versions of Law School Confidential has an in-depth interview with a prestigious Boston law firm (Ropes & Gray) as well as a smaller New Hampshire firm. They cover lots of great information in general, but I think it would be particularly relevant to your inquiry since they talk a lot about Boston, ties, schools they recruit from, etc.

That's a book I was definitely interested in looking at anyway - I'll check it out for sure

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:10 pm

If you are going to Boston Market, get the Rotisserie chicken. The Meatloaf and turkey are TTT there. The chicken is too, but its edible.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:12 pm

Advice: take LSAT; get back to us.

Eric475

Postby Eric475 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you are going to Boston Market, get the Rotisserie chicken. The Meatloaf and turkey are TTT there. The chicken is too, but its edible.

I've always heard they make an absolutely delectable mac n cheese, but i've never been. I love KFC for my fast-food chicken, but would be curious to try boston market.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you are going to Boston Market, get the Rotisserie chicken. The Meatloaf and turkey are TTT there. The chicken is too, but its edible.

This made me bust up laughing in the middle of a meeting. Thank you for that....

deneuve39

Postby deneuve39 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:18 pm

You definitely have enough ties to Boston. And I would say that I know Columbia and Penn place well in Boston, but I'm not sure whether you should go to Cornell or Gtown over BC/BU. Wait until you see whcih schools you get into, then post this Q under the "[school's name] 1/2Ls taking questions" threads. The students who go to these schools will have access to OCI data or will know of people who tried to get into the Boston market.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:28 pm

Came here to make Boston Market joke. Saw DF had it covered. Left.

Eric475

Postby Eric475 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:38 pm

rad law wrote:Advice: take LSAT; get back to us.

I know I'm terrible at only thinking about one thing at a time. I realize I should be focusing on studying for the LSAT instead of thinking about getting a job a few years from now when I don't even know which schools I'll get in to.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Came here to make Boston Market joke. Saw DF had it covered. Left.

+1

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:45 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Came here to make Boston Market joke. Saw DF had it covered. Left.

+1

+1 with a reference to their mashed poTTTatoes.

Eric475

Postby Eric475 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:47 pm

pkpop wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:

+1

+1 with a reference to their mashed poTTTatoes.

How do they compare to KFCs? KFCs are obviously fake as hell but also damn good. Might go there on my lunch break soon.

Edit: Nice avatar i still love listening to "what rhymes with orange" every now and then

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:06 am

I go to Cornell and will be interviewing with Boston firms soon. From the research that I have done, you have enough ties to Boston. I had a chance to go to some schools slightly higher in the T-14 and chose Cornell for a variety of reasons. Honestly, I think the distinctions made between schools in the lower T-14 are downright wrong. So here is the deal, you have already established your connection to Boston. What is the point of going to BU/BC if Biglaw goes deeper in the class in Cornell than they do at BU/BC? Basically ITE, you will have to be Top 15% at the Boston schools and top 40% at a school like Cornell.

FWIW, at Cornell I will get about 10 Boston interviews through OCI. I had to take about 5 NYC interviews to fill out my OCI schedule, but I have a chance with those firms as well (these options will also be more limited from the Boston schools).

I was also able to set up 4 interviews in Portland, ME just through writing targeted letters (I sent out 5, did not follow up on the other one yet). Not sure if firms in my secondary market would have been so willing to give me interviews so easily coming out of BU/BC, but maybe.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”