USC Law or UCLA Law, USC is 35k cheaper overall HELP PLEASE! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
im_blue

Gold

Re: USC Law or UCLA Law, USC is 35k cheaper overall HELP PLEASE!

Post by im_blue » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:54 am

oscarthegrouch wrote:
ajauffret wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
architect88 wrote:lol...alright take that section off, just in general is ucla law better than usc law, and if so by how much?
Just ask the students at USC. 95 percent of them would've gone to UCLA if they had the choice. This is a well-known fact. Why? Because UCLA Law is affiliated with the more prestigious university, it's higher ranked, has a better faculty, has a stronger student body, has better lay and national prestige, it's in a much nicer location, and it has nicer facilities.

Also, the Dean at UCLA Law doesn't make Freudian slips like this. Lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW-mq0DN ... utube_data

Not true!! I am a 1L this fall and I actually have already met 3 other people who chose USC over UCLA (and at equal price) including myself and Im sure we are not the only 3... smaller classes, trojan network, more stable tuition... confident in my decision
Agreed. I know someone with a 172 LSAT that chose USC over other schools. The stats for students from both schools are pretty similar, so I wouldn't be surprised if you guys had multiple cross-admits.
Not similar at all when you consider UCLA's 3.57-3.75-3.88/164-168-169 vs USC's 3.47-3.60-3.71/165-167-167. UCLA's medians are both higher than USC's 75th percentiles. That's more than the relative difference between Harvard/Yale (3.9/173 medians) and Chicago/NYU (3.85/173 75th percentiles).

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:17 am

papercranes wrote:I also chose USC over UCLA for money reasons. And I wanted a smaller school and knew I would be in LA after graduation.

So far? I wouldn't choose differently. The network is incredible and the students are terrific. Sorry to say but the UCLA law kids I've met are anti-social and weird. But I admit it's probably a small sample.
This UCLA/USC bickering is so stupid. It's clear OP was going for USC in his first post, so this blather back and forth is kind of pointless. Obviously people who chose UCLA/USC think their respective schools are superior. UCLA was my top choice over T14 schools. Does this mean that UCLA is stronger/better overall than GULC or Cornell? Probably not. But UCLA was better for me and my personal situation.

I visited both USC and UCLA, and the groups I interacted with (outlaws) were both composed of some normal and cool people. However, (even though I know you'll eventually pick USC) I would choose UCLA because you know at least one blowhard douchebag (above) is heading to USC.

Edit: Just remember OP - save one or two posters here or there, most of us aren't actually law students at either UCLA or USC. If you haven't visited either school before you make your decision, you'll regret it. You'll know which school is right for you when you step foot on campus, check out the buildings/surrounding communities, and talk to students and professors. Happy law students make for a happy four years.
Last edited by jay115 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:18 am

Can't say for sure, but the few attorney's I've spoken with prefer USC to UCLA, precisely because of the Trojan Network. From what I understand, USC actually does a little better on the private side in Cali, while UCLA gets the more prime government jobs, more government jobs altogether, almost the same BIGLAW in Cali, and a more nationally portable degree.

I also agree with the poster who said many attorneys in Norcal prefer private to public. Two practicing attorney's there, neither big law but both partners in midlaw, told me essentially the same thing--Stanford is boss, Berkeley is a little better than Hastings, and USC is after that. They sort of got cloudy eyed and told me UCLA would be a good option too.

I'm not saying that's true, but just trying to let you know how regional law schools really are and how much perception can be area related. Of course Hastings is the weakest school on that list, but in San Fran it's very, very well regarded.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:27 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:Can't say for sure, but the few attorney's I've spoken with prefer USC to UCLA, precisely because of the Trojan Network. From what I understand, USC actually does a little better on the private side in Cali, while UCLA gets the more prime government jobs, more government jobs altogether, almost the same BIGLAW in Cali, and a more nationally portable degree.

I also agree with the poster who said many attorneys in Norcal prefer private to public. Two practicing attorney's there, neither big law but both partners in midlaw, told me essentially the same thing--Stanford is boss, Berkeley is a little better than Hastings, and USC is after that. They sort of got cloudy eyed and told me UCLA would be a good option too.

I'm not saying that's true, but just trying to let you know how regional law schools really are and how much perception can be area related. Of course Hastings is the weakest school on that list, but in San Fran it's very, very well regarded.
I suppose this response is a little hypocritical to my previous post, but did attorneys you talked to really tell you that Berkeley is "a little better" than Hastings? And that USC surpasses UCLA in Norcal biglaw placement? Because I think NALP might contradict those questionable sources on both points. Perhaps those attorneys sort of got cloudy eyed when you mentioned UCLA because they secretly wished that they went to UCLA and ended up in biglaw rather than midlaw?

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:43 pm

jay115 wrote: I suppose this response is a little hypocritical to my previous post, but did attorneys you talked to really tell you that Berkeley is "a little better" than Hastings? And that USC surpasses UCLA in Norcal biglaw placement? Because I think NALP might contradict those questionable sources on both points. Perhaps those attorneys sort of got cloudy eyed when you mentioned UCLA because they secretly wished that they went to UCLA and ended up in biglaw rather than midlaw?
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:22 am

jay115 wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:Can't say for sure, but the few attorney's I've spoken with prefer USC to UCLA, precisely because of the Trojan Network. From what I understand, USC actually does a little better on the private side in Cali, while UCLA gets the more prime government jobs, more government jobs altogether, almost the same BIGLAW in Cali, and a more nationally portable degree.

I suppose this response is a little hypocritical to my previous post, but did attorneys you talked to really tell you that Berkeley is "a little better" than Hastings? And that USC surpasses UCLA in Norcal biglaw placement? Because I think NALP might contradict those questionable sources on both points. Perhaps those attorneys sort of got cloudy eyed when you mentioned UCLA because they secretly wished that they went to UCLA and ended up in biglaw rather than midlaw?

Absolutely. And neither of them wished they went to UCLA--one was Berkeley and the other was GW--but I wasn't trying to suggest that these are true statements. I was only trying to point out how regional law schools really are. The more I research the more surprised I am. For instance, it doesn't seem USC had that strong a reputation twenty years because everyone up north I've talked to keeps mentioning how far they've come in a short time. And Hastings has an absolutely dominate reputation in SF, although I suspect that diminishes rapidly outside the city itself.

Also, I might not have been clear. I wasn't trying to say they told me USC outplaced UCLA in biglaw, I was trying to say that was the data I thought I saw. If someone saw something else, I'd believe it, but from what I remembered UCLA had the much better overall placement, but USC placed stronger in the private market. UCLA more than makes up for the small difference with government work and clerkships. Is that wrong?

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:00 am

hot bullshit!

-at thread OP

Aias

New

Post by Aias » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 am

Was admitted to both with $ and chose to attend USC.

criminalattorney

New

Post by criminalattorney » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:06 pm

if you want a stronger alum base then usc is the route. i've heard many great things about usc and they have excellent law professors. but for other would-be law students looking for schools, my alma mater, uc berkeley, is also another great institution in CA to get your law degree.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:30 pm

I've re-read this thread multiple times for laughs. Good job OP of doing what other USCers seem to like to do: Construct a thread to provide a means for USC students who were in actuality rejected from UCLA to "covertly" express why they "choose" USC over UCLA.

We see what you did there... :roll:

arklogic

New

Post by arklogic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:14 pm

I would choose UCLA over USC any day.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:55 pm

arklogic wrote:I would choose UCLA over USC any day.
most people would if costs are the same. I'd definitely take USC to save 35k debt.

architect88

New

Post by architect88 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:21 pm

To put an end to this thread. I chose UCLA and am very confident with my decision after looking into it more and now being here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arklogic

New

Post by arklogic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:55 pm

Good luck at UCLA!
architect88 wrote:To put an end to this thread. I chose UCLA and am very confident with my decision after looking into it more and now being here.
Last edited by arklogic on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Hmmmm... What I've garnered from this thread is

a) USC is 6 and UCLA is a half dozen
b) there is a strong sense of competition with UCLA narrowly winning out on how defensive they are

Cmoss

New

Post by Cmoss » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:35 pm

obviously trojans are better than the bruins (choosing the law school with the best sports program is the best logic of all)

Stupendous_Man

Bronze

Post by Stupendous_Man » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:07 am

I go to USC and I absolutely love it here. Well, as much as any 1Ls are "loving" life right now. I consider almost everyone in my classes a friend, and everyone is seriously helpful/supportive. I don't know if the "collegial" thing is something USC just tries to sell you on that actually exists at all schools, but I can tell you that here we share everything, people will give you notes without hesitation if you miss class, several people have offered to give me their outlines without me asking just because I mentioned I was a little behind. On top of that the school takes real care of you. They offer this tutor that sends out tips and holds seminars for everyone on how to take exams, how to outline, etc. so you're not just groping around in the dark. They give everyone outlines, past exam answers, etc. so you don't have to schmooze with the upper classmen to try to get past outlines. There's also a billion free lunches and fun events to go to all the time, which is really great, just a lot going on.

You have some time to decide, so make the schools sweat it out. See if UCLA will throw you a bigger scholarship, and definitely come visit both schools. I think if you spend a day with each school, you'll really get a feel for what the atmosphere is like. I've only met one UCLA student at a bar, who seemed fine, (albeit the UCLA student was alone and I had a crowd of USC Law friends with me so I don't know what that tells you anecdotally). But seriously, the job placement here is pretty much the same from everything I'm reading, so if one school is significantly cheaper, I'd seriously doubt you are getting a substantively better education at either one, we both have really incredible faculty. You are about to spend the majority of your waking hours at the school, so make sure you love everything about it before you commit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Westwood > South Central.

Enjoy UCLA.

dodgerboy86

New

Post by dodgerboy86 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:14 am

UCLA > USC; it's not even close... the Trojans can say what they want, but they all know that they wish they had been admitted to UCLA

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 pm

SBL wrote:Westwood > South Central.

Enjoy UCLA.
But USC has a Chick-Fil-A!!!!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Enjoy UCLA.

Malibu > Westwood.

Enjoy Pepperdine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:55 pm

lisjjen wrote:

Enjoy UCLA.

Malibu > Westwood.

Enjoy Pepperdine.
employment > unemployment?

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Enjoy UCLA.

Malibu > Westwood.

Enjoy Pepperdine.
Getting the point > Not getting the point

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:07 am

Stupendous_Man wrote:I go to USC and I absolutely love it here. Well, as much as any 1Ls are "loving" life right now. I consider almost everyone in my classes a friend....
hahahahaha WUT?

Anyway, job prospects are similar, so whatever.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 am

lisjjen wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Enjoy UCLA.

Malibu > Westwood.

Enjoy Pepperdine.
Getting the point > Not getting the point
If you were referring to the reasoning being stupid, which did cross my mind, it's not. Not for schools that are that closely related in every other measurable aspect.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”