USD vs Northern Illinois Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sintacs

New

USD vs Northern Illinois

Post by sintacs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:46 pm

So I have been accepted to University of San Diego with a $15,000 scholarship for each year with a stipulation of being in top third. I have also been accepted to NIU with no scholarship. NIU is a tier 4 school; however, I have residency in Illinois which makes tuition around 14k. My family also owns some rental property in the area so housing would be incredibly affordable. I am mainly concerned with the low job prospects that NIU offers after grad. Is the amount saved on tuition worth the risk?

czelede

Silver

Re: USD vs Northern Illinois

Post by czelede » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:50 pm

no.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Where do you want to work?

Retake/reapply is probably TCR.

sintacs

New

Post by sintacs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:00 pm

Honestly I would be willing to work in either area, but I would prefer to work in San Diego. My biggest question is which school would be the best financial choice. San Diego places better for employment, but my debt will be high, while NIU is the exact opposite.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:03 pm

USD's employment is not all that great, though I think the cheaper degree would be better considering employment for both of them is poor.

Honestly I would recommend retake/reapply trying for something like UIUC/WUSTL for Illinois.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sintacs

New

Post by sintacs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:08 pm

bk187 wrote:USD's employment is not all that great, though I think the cheaper degree would be better considering employment for both of them is poor.

Honestly I would recommend retake/reapply trying for something like UIUC/WUSTL for Illinois.
Thanks for your quick advice! It helps to have some additional input.

Undergradut

New

Post by Undergradut » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:34 pm

I'd first decide where I want to live after graduation. That's what is most important. Neither of these degrees is going to travel.

I wouldn't necessarily retake/reapply. If I wanted to be a public defender or prosecutor in Chicago after graduation, it makes absolutely no sense to go to Illinois or WUSTL and take on 100K+ in loans. I would go to NIU for a fraction of the cost, and take advantage of the good connections NIU has with city attorneys in Chicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”