Case $ vs Indy-Indianapolis $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Case Western $
54%
Indiana University law-Indianapolis $$
46%

Total votes: 24

lsathelp

Bronze

Case $ vs Indy-Indianapolis $$

Post by lsathelp » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Hey guys!
I really need your advice on which school to choose.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Case $ vs Indy-Indianapolis $$

Post by deadpanic » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Need more details. How much money did Case give you? How much $ did IU-Indy give you? What are the stipulations of both?

Where do you want to practice?

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:38 pm

deadpanic wrote:Need more details. How much money did Case give you? How much $ did IU-Indy give you? What are the stipulations of both?

My thoughts exactly. Does Indy have a gpa requirement for the scholly?

OnWisconsin

Bronze

Post by OnWisconsin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:43 pm

This.

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Sorry guys. Both have a 3.1 stipulation. Case is 20k ft and IU is 22k but it's for the pt program which I don't mind doing cuz then I can work. I don't have a preference in where I end up working.

Edit: scholarships are per year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Are you out of state of IU?

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:59 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:Are you out of state of IU?
yea I am.

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:09 pm

So tuition would only be 17k a year for IU? That's not bad if they give you all of that scholly for part time. If you don't have ties to either I would pick Case since you're getting more credit hours for the same price.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Also another thing to consider is what the curve looks like at each school. One school may be significantly more difficult to get a 3.1 than the other.

Ceteris Paribus, I would go to Case. Though, when LBJ leaves Cleveland for Miami tonight, the city may decide to engage in some sort of mass suicide ala Heaven's Gate. So you know... things to consider here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Yeah I tried to find out what percentile rank a 3.1 at Case was but they are really wishy-washy about giving it out for some reason. You can find the ranks on LSAC but I'm almost positive that it counts 1L-3L combined.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:22 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:Yeah I tried to find out what percentile rank a 3.1 at Case was but they are really wishy-washy about giving it out for some reason. You can find the ranks on LSAC but I'm almost positive that it counts 1L-3L combined.
Eh, I think you're in a position with some bargaining power, amigo. If they're unable or unwilling to give you the info you need to make the major life decision, you can tell them professionally and politely that you can't feel comfortable attending. They gave you some serious money, so I assume they see you as an assett in attending their law school. If they're still unable/unwilling to give you the info, I would go with IU-I.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Just a warning, I go to IU-Indy and they have NO firms from outside Indiana coming. I don't mind Indy at all, but in case you have an opinion on the matter... I'm not sure if Case is any different, though.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:24 pm

I've lived in Indy for a while and from everyone I have talked to in town, I believe that IU-Indy owns the city of Indianapolis. I don't know much about Case, but I doubt it has the same sort of local options that Indy does. Outside of the city? Not so much.

I vote for Indy, but it's contingent on the curves: If Case has a better curve for you to keep your scholarship, take advantage of it!

Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate the advice.
Which city would be cheaper to live in Cleveland or Indianspolis?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:32 pm

I can't speak to Cleveland, but Indianapolis is exceedingly cheap for a city of its size.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:42 pm

Cleveland's actually cheaper, but both are considerably cheaper than the national mean. I have a friend who bought a 2k sq ft house 5 miles from downtown cleveland, in a nice neighborhood for like $80k. It's ridiculous. The housing market got smoked by the most recent downturn.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=5 ... 2=53916000

Case pretty much dominates the Cleveland market. It's a school with a very solid reputation. I guess you just have to make the call on where you would like to end up practicing.

Good luck.

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks alot!! You guys are awesome!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:14 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:Yeah I tried to find out what percentile rank a 3.1 at Case was but they are really wishy-washy about giving it out for some reason. You can find the ranks on LSAC but I'm almost positive that it counts 1L-3L combined.
Approx top 45% will have above a 3.1.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:54 pm

angioletto wrote:
Just curious, where'd you get that? All I could find was NALP, which says the 50% is at 3.217.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 am

creamedcats wrote:
angioletto wrote:
Just curious, where'd you get that? All I could find was NALP, which says the 50% is at 3.217.
I asked someone at the school and she pulled it up from last year's 1L info.

This is the first year they have had GPA reqs on the scholarships so I don't think they are used to people asking them this type of question.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:22 am

angioletto wrote:
creamedcats wrote:
angioletto wrote:
I asked someone at the school and she pulled it up from last year's 1L info.

This is the first year they have had GPA reqs on the scholarships so I don't think they are used to people asking them this type of question.
Interesting, thanks.

OP: You're getting 50% at Case for FT and...what X% at IU-Indy for PT? I don't know, why not Case? Maybe I don't see the appeal of the part-time program. I mean, what are you going to work as? If you had connections in Indianapolis and a nice job lined up, that would be one thing. Without that, I see no reason to take a lower-ranked PT program over a pretty decent deal at a higher-ranked program.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BabeTheBlueOx

New

Post by BabeTheBlueOx » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:27 am

angioletto wrote:
The top 45% is a good approximation. Just did my 1L year there. It's a B curve for the 1L year in all classes except CORE, which is graded on a 3.2 curve. Top 25% were people who broke a 3.4, which is also Dean's List (in case you were wondering). The curve changes to a 3.2 for 2L and 3L year.

As for the career prospects thing, OCI at Case is pretty weak this year (as every school is), but we still have programs in NYC, DC, LA, CHI, and BOS in addition to whatever local connections exist. And Case obviously has a very strong reputation in the Cleveland market itself.

Hope that helps.

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Hey guys!

So would the extra debt at Case be worth it if i want to do public interest law?

Edit: Just received a full ride to Cleveland Marshall.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:35 pm

lsathelp wrote:Hey guys!

So would the extra debt at Case be worth it if i want to do public interest law?

Edit: Just received a full ride to Cleveland Marshall.
Congrats on the full ride. It depends on a bunch of things - how much more you value the Case experience, how debt-averse you are, what the comparative employment options are for each.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Case sends a lot of people to PI. Nothing against Marshall, but there are people who perform well, graduate, and can't get work even in Cleveland. Outside Cleveland, you're dead unless you hustle something up yourself, which isn't going to be made easier by Marshall's standing. Case at least gives you a chance in some other markets.

There is something mentally freeing about the 'full ride' even if you'll still be paying living expenses and cost of opportunity...the total cost difference will be like 65k over three years for tuition. That's not small, I turned down a higher ranked school with about that much cost difference on the table. But in your case, I think the 'gap' between Case and Marshall is pretty considerable, UNLESS you are determined/totally happy to work in Cleveland/Northeastern Ohio. Then it becomes smaller. I'm basing this on: placement numbers from NALP and NLJ and what I know of a few recent grads from both schools.

Neither school is a lock for a good job currently. There was a poster awhile ago who argued that Case is never worth the money compared to Marshall, you could search for his posts for another POV.

Is the Marshall scholarship conditional?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”