California Placement

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Anpanman

New

California Placement

Postby Anpanman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Outside of the top 14, are there any non-California schools that place well in California?

im_blue

Gold

Re: California Placement

Postby im_blue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:57 am

Vandy, Texas, and GW place decently in CA.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:09 am

Surprisingly, I noticed that BU and BC don't do terrible in CA either. But if you want CA, you should try to find a school in CA. Especially if you know which city you want to practice in. If that's the case, then go to a local school if possible. Otherwise, you should be aiming as high (ranking-wise) as you can.

dood

Gold

Postby dood » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:04 am

Last edited by dood on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:17 am

I would second the poster that stated that you should really go to a CA school. Usually, one could go to a regional school and be fine. But CA has over 60 law programs (accredited and non-accredited).

I'm sure there is a difference between schools that have some graduates that go to CA and schools that have some graduates that "do well" in CA.

A lot of schools place a few graduates in CA (most of the private schools in the T50 + U of Arizona). If you can't swing Hastings/Davis or higher for CA, I would be weary of aiming for that market from out of state schools without pre-existing connections.

General Tso

Gold

Postby General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:09 pm

the thing is that CA firms are often skeptical of non-residents. they've found that people like the idea of living in CA but often are not willing to make the sacrifices it takes to enjoy a comfortable life here.

there is a TLS guy from Stanford that got grilled at his interviews about his long term commitment to living in CA.

also you can generate Cal Bar queries at this site:
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.php

eg)
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

or

http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

dood

Gold

Postby dood » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Last edited by dood on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McNulty

Bronze

Postby McNulty » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:41 pm

This is redundant, but living in CA is going to require some sacrifices as stated above. The situation with unemployment is more dire than most states and will linger for a long time barring something similar to the dotcom bubble. Add to that the exorbitant cost-of-living and you see a grim picture.

For the record, I work in the legal industry in the Bay.

General Tso

Gold

Postby General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:49 pm

McNulty wrote:This is redundant, but living in CA is going to require some sacrifices as stated above. The situation with unemployment is more dire than most states and will linger for a long time barring something similar to the dotcom bubble. Add to that the exorbitant cost-of-living and you see a grim picture.

For the record, I work in the legal industry in the Bay.

agree 100%

and another of those sacrifices in your situation may well be to pay top $$ to attend Hastings or Davis.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�