Florida Law Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Florida Law Schools

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:
rad law wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:I'm curious I am a Miami undergrad and have a 3.7 and haven't taken the LSAT yet what do I got to score to get into UMiami Law, Nova, FIU. I'm not thinking about UF or FSU it's not my cup of tea. Also would it be worth going out of state?
As to what LSAT you need, check out Law School Numbers. If you want to practice in FL you will be much better served by UF or FSU in most cases. Miami is expensive and doesn't reach far out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. It might be worth going out of state if you can get into a T25-ish school, though UF and FSU are really cheap so that's a factor.
I'm not really worried about the money and connections because I got them. I'm just curious because if I get the higher GPA does the number on the LSAT score I need to get lower? I don't like the Tally area nor Gainesville. Plus Miami is rising and FSU and UF are staying the same.
Can your connections guarantee you a job in three years? If so, just go wherever's cheapest and not a complete shithole. If you honestly cannot say that a connection will guarantee a job, UF/FSU will serve you much better. And I wouldn't count on Miami rapidly rising in prestige, at least not in three years when it will really matter for you. If anything, the rankings tend to stay the same over time. I guarantee you in three years people will still perceive UF>FSU>Miami.

And just look at LawSchoolNumbers.com

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Strictly Bum wrote: Lol, what's URM? Yes, UF and FSU are higher however I fit best in Miami. I'm from around the city.
If you're from the city, aim for UF. Seriously. Cheaper, and you've got the connections which will give you a leg up on the hordes of Miami grads. I'm sure you can deal with being away for 3 years.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote: I'm not really worried about the money and connections because I got them. I'm just curious because if I get the higher GPA does the number on the LSAT score I need to get lower? I don't like the Tally area nor Gainesville. Plus Miami is rising and FSU and UF are staying the same.
I'm not even going to get into the rankings but if you're not an URM, then I would say 157.
Lol, what's URM? Yes, UF and FSU are higher however I fit best in Miami. I'm from around the city.

Didn't ask-- don't care :)
and URM is under-represented minority... a handful of ethnicities that would give you an admissions boost.

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:31 pm

rad law wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:
rad law wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:I'm curious I am a Miami undergrad and have a 3.7 and haven't taken the LSAT yet what do I got to score to get into UMiami Law, Nova, FIU. I'm not thinking about UF or FSU it's not my cup of tea. Also would it be worth going out of state?
As to what LSAT you need, check out Law School Numbers. If you want to practice in FL you will be much better served by UF or FSU in most cases. Miami is expensive and doesn't reach far out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. It might be worth going out of state if you can get into a T25-ish school, though UF and FSU are really cheap so that's a factor.
I'm not really worried about the money and connections because I got them. I'm just curious because if I get the higher GPA does the number on the LSAT score I need to get lower? I don't like the Tally area nor Gainesville. Plus Miami is rising and FSU and UF are staying the same.
Can your connections guarantee you a job in three years? If so, just go wherever's cheapest and not a complete shithole. If you honestly cannot say that a connection will guarantee a job, UF/FSU will serve you much better. And I wouldn't count on Miami rapidly rising in prestige, at least not in three years when it will really matter for you. If anything, the rankings tend to stay the same over time. I guarantee you in three years people will still perceive UF>FSU>Miami.

And just look at LawSchoolNumbers.com
Yes my connections can guarantee me a job. I don't if I should go the easy way out and go to Nova, go to Miami or go out of state and experience something else because I've gone to Miami for undergrad.

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Barbie wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote: I'm not really worried about the money and connections because I got them. I'm just curious because if I get the higher GPA does the number on the LSAT score I need to get lower? I don't like the Tally area nor Gainesville. Plus Miami is rising and FSU and UF are staying the same.
I'm not even going to get into the rankings but if you're not an URM, then I would say 157.
Lol, what's URM? Yes, UF and FSU are higher however I fit best in Miami. I'm from around the city.

and URM is under-represented minority... a handful of ethnicities that would give you an admissions boost.
Haha no I'm not a minority and taking cheap shots at me I see and Rad I can't go to UF! I'm a Cane at heart!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Strictly Bum wrote: Yes my connections can guarantee me a job. I don't if I should go the easy way out and go to Nova, go to Miami or go out of state and experience something else because I've gone to Miami for undergrad.
I wouldn't go to Nova, because that I think falls in the category of "too shitty." Just get a good LSAT score and get a scholarship to Miami. Save some money. The time to experience something was undergrad or the couple years after, unfortunately.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote: Lol, what's URM? Yes, UF and FSU are higher however I fit best in Miami. I'm from around the city.

Haha no I'm not a minority and taking cheap shots at me I see and Rad I can't go to UF! I'm a Cane at heart!
Not a cheap shot-- you were just making an argument to me I'm unconcerned with. Then 157 is probably what you'll need to get. FIU is much cheaper, though, and at least better than Nova.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Strictly Bum wrote: Haha no I'm not a minority and taking cheap shots at me I see and Rad I can't go to UF! I'm a Cane at heart!
My boss this summer went to UM for UG and UF for law. He's definitely still a 'Cane. It can be done!

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Barbie wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Not a cheap shot-- you were just making an argument to me I'm unconcerned with. Then 157 is probably what you'll need to get. FIU is much cheaper, though, and at least better than Nova.
Haha very true. your right no argument from me :) and Rad your right who would I root for then both teams? Is there any other schools not mentioned that are decent

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:Haha very true. your right no argument from me :) and Rad your right who would I root for then both teams? Is there any other schools not mentioned that are decent
I mean, what LSAT score are you looking at you think? That would really help to tell you where, IMO, you should apply considering there are like 300 law schools...

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Barbie wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:Haha very true. your right no argument from me :) and Rad your right who would I root for then both teams? Is there any other schools not mentioned that are decent
I mean, what LSAT score are you looking at you think? That would really help to tell you where, IMO, you should apply considering there are like 300 law schools...
I've took the diagnostic test from Kaplan with no experience and got a 144. I've started to pick up the strategies and stuff and I'm starting to understand it more. However, I'm trying to be realistic and a 160 is probably too high. So I'm guessing 150 range to 155 range.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:01 pm

FIU seems like the best choice

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Barbie wrote:FIU seems like the best choice
Do you think I could get into Miami with a 150-152? Since I went there undergrad?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:
Do you think I could get into Miami with a 150-152? Since I went there undergrad?
No :( I would say you would need a 155 to even have a shot.

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Barbie wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:
Damnitt, oh well let's see how I do, you never know lol. are u from florida?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:
Damnitt, oh well let's see how I do, you never know lol. are u from florida?
Yep! me and rad are both.

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Damnitt, oh well let's see how I do, you never know lol. are u from florida?[/quote]

Yep! me and rad are both.[/quote]

Well thank you for your help it means a lot and hopefully I don't got to worry about the 152 score :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

unreality

New

Post by unreality » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:48 pm

This is my first post on TLS.

Not to bring up a somewhat older topic again, but I was wondering what you guys thought about situation.

I took my LSAT in October and scored a 164, I am retaking next week and feel confident (i know everyone says that but still) that I can get at least a 168. My CAS GPA is 3.65. I have an MBA with 4.0 GPA and also I've got pretty strong softs. I am applying to T14 + Vandy + UM (I live in & love Miami).

So, am I selling my self short by not applying to T15-30 schools? Should I feel bad about going to UM? Do I even have any shot at T14? (I've looked at every law school predictor calculator thing in existence, just wanted someone else's opinion)

Any opinion that you guys may have about what I am doing would be helpful.

Thanks! : )

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 pm

unreality wrote:This is my first post on TLS.

Not to bring up a somewhat older topic again, but I was wondering what you guys thought about situation.

I took my LSAT in October and scored a 164, I am retaking next week and feel confident (i know everyone says that but still) that I can get at least a 168. My CAS GPA is 3.65. I have an MBA with 4.0 GPA and also I've got pretty strong softs. I am applying to T14 + Vandy + UM (I live in & love Miami).

So, am I selling my self short by not applying to T15-30 schools? Should I feel bad about going to UM? Do I even have any shot at T14? (I've looked at every law school predictor calculator thing in existence, just wanted someone else's opinion)
164? No shot at T14 or Vandy. MBA GPAs don't count for much, if anything at all. Do not go to Miami. It has been reiterated over and over many times here. Do NOT do it. Bad job prospects. 164 will get you into UF, which is a better option for Miami.

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:06 am

rad law wrote:
unreality wrote:This is my first post on TLS.

164? No shot at T14 or Vandy. MBA GPAs don't count for much, if anything at all. Do not go to Miami. It has been reiterated over and over many times here. Do NOT do it. Bad job prospects. 164 will get you into UF, which is a better option for Miami.
168/3.65 probably won't even get you into vanderbilt, I would DEFINITELY apply to T15-30 schools.

unreality

New

Post by unreality » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks for the quick responses, but damn you guys sure draw a grim scenario…

So how much does the fact that I am hispanic (from Argentina) and applying as an international student help (if at all)?

Also what LSAT score do you think I'd need for Vandy or NU with a my ugpa?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:01 am

unreality wrote:Thanks for the quick responses, but damn you guys sure draw a grim scenario…

So how much does the fact that I am hispanic (from Argentina) and applying as an international student help (if at all)?

Also what LSAT score do you think I'd need for Vandy or NU with a my ugpa?
Argentina? Probably minimal to no effect.

lawschoolnumber.com is a good place to start. For Vandy offhand I'd say 169-170. Their median LSAT went up to a 169 from a 168 this year, and you're below median LSAT.

The better question is, why go to law school if you already have an advanced degree?

plt06

New

Post by plt06 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 am

While an MBA is a great degree (I'm getting mine right now), the reality is that law is a solid path into big business given the amount of regulation there is out there today. However, if you just do a law degree and want to do corporate law/m&a you'll spend a year or two actually learning the business side of those areas of practice. Getting the MBA helps you differentiate from the thousands of law school grads being churned out every year and you'll be better prepared to hit the ground running.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:32 am

plt06 wrote:Getting the MBA helps you differentiate from the thousands of law school grads being churned out every year and you'll be better prepared to hit the ground running.
I'd rather be on law review or have a high law school GPA than have the MBA any day.

I'd also rather be a grad of a more prestigious school than go to a slightly less prestigious one with and MBA.

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:02 am

I went to UM for undergrad and LOVED it but didn't apply there for law school because of all the negative stuff I've heard regarding job prospects. The only benefit I think is that anyone with a LSAT over 160 gets a 23,000/year scholarship which makes it comparable to UF/FSU but it's still probably not worth the risk. I've gotten into UF and am waiting on a decision from FSU so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on this thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”