Top 25 School Not Good Enough? TLS Made Me Panic! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I defer my admission and apply to higher ranked schools?

Take the scholarship, Top 25 is fine!
66%
Defer, and apply to T14 schools!
30%
Other (post a message saying WHY you voted this way)
4%

Total votes: 53

sumus romani

Silver

Re: Top 25 School Not Good Enough? TLS Made Me Panic!

Post by sumus romani » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:14 pm

Matthies wrote:
sumus romani wrote: No, go to LS, cuase at top LS they OCI for astrunauts all the time?

My school has a top program in space-law, and then I'll lateral into space-travel. It'll be sweet.
We had a spce law class, I wanted to take it but it was full and I never got off the waitlist. WTF :evil:[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that I'll get a special place in the space-law class. You see, I made up one of those contraptions with helium balloons and made it to the mesosphere. I know that technically it is not space. But I was pretty close. I wrote my PS about it.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:22 pm

sumus romani wrote:
Matthies wrote:
sumus romani wrote: No, go to LS, cuase at top LS they OCI for astrunauts all the time?

My school has a top program in space-law, and then I'll lateral into space-travel. It'll be sweet.
We had a spce law class, I wanted to take it but it was full and I never got off the waitlist. WTF :evil:

I'm pretty sure that I'll get a special place in the space-law class. You see, I made up one of those contraptions with helium balloons and made it to the mesosphere. I know that technically it is not space. But I was pretty close. I wrote my PS about it.[/quote]

Did you pretend to have your 8 yo kid in it too? Flacon, wasn' that the kids name? maybe never heard of it, since it was a local story, but it was live on CCN the whole damn day

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:32 pm

tponmyshoe wrote:Let me start by saying that I am very new to this site. Alot of the topics discussed here are completely new to me. So I hope you take it easy on me if I come across as a bit "clueless".

I am going to be starting law school in about a month. I have always thought that I want to work in a DA's office as a prosecutor, or at least as a litigator of some sort (but, let's be honest, I'm sure I could change my mind over the next three years). So, like anyone, got good grades during my undergrad, took the LSAT, and did well for myself (practiced around 168-171, ended up with a 172 to go with a 4.0). When I started looking for schools, maybe I didn't do my due diligence, but I looked primarily at schools around where I'm from that were also pretty high in the rankings (at least I thought) that I hoped I could get a scholarship to. Long story short, I got into a T25 school with a full ride, and jumped at the chance, and was very happy with myself.

Just over the last few weeks I started looking at this and other sites. I have never learned about the T14 craze, etc. So you might imagine the anxiety I felt when I see so much "Top 10 school or bust talk", thinking that I am forgoing a ton of opportunities by going to a lower ranked school than I might have gotten into (even though I apparently made the mistake of thinking top 25 was pretty good hah).

So I decided to post for myself. What advice would you all (that know more about the process than me) would give to someone in my position? I have always believed that the student makes his/her education no matter what school they are at, but maybe that's not true in law school. I will say, even though I'm not sure exactly what BIGLAW is, I don't think I'm really targeting that. I want to do litigation work (I'm thinking criminal law, as I mentioned above), and maybe - I realize this is a total pipedream - become a judge eventually. Should I panic a month out and reconsider where I'm going to school? Or should I just relax and do my best and hope everything falls into place.

Thanks in advance for everything! All advice/opinions are welcome!

defer for a year and go to a top 5 school. yale and stanford are realistic reaches. harvard is a target school for you (50/50 shot at getting in). chicago and columbia are strong targets for you. just pick a safety school or two out of the other T14 schools. the most likely scenario is that you'll end up at chicago or columbia with a 60k-75k scholly. going to either chicago or columbia with a 50% scholly is way better than a full ride to a top 25 school.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Depends on the region and the school. Any chance you can give us more information OP?

If it's BU/BC for Boston or UT for anywhere in Texas, I'd say you should stick with the T25 because those markets are more insulated. I'd probably even say to stick with the full ride at USC/UCLA for Los Angeles. If the T25 is in NYC/DC/Chicago or feeds those markets, then you should consider reapplying (especially if it's in Chicago because you could probably get $$$ at Northwestern and $$ at UChi).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”