Fee Waivers

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
masterthearts

Fee Waivers

Postby masterthearts » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:03 pm

I saw a thread on fee waivers. Are fee waivers given to low income students so that they don't have to pay to apply? That is the way it was in college.
However, Cornell gave me a fee waiver (unsolicited by me, presumably because I'm a minority..I am not low income). I did apply to Cornell (undergrad, got accepted and attended).
Do law schools give fee waivers to students whom they want?? Or do they only give the waivers to low income students.

kalvano

Re: Fee Waivers

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:11 pm

The give them out based on LSAT / GPA.

Or you can just ask for them.

Fast_Fingers

Postby Fast_Fingers » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:21 am

masterthearts wrote:I saw a thread on fee waivers. Are fee waivers given to low income students so that they don't have to pay to apply? That is the way it was in college.
However, Cornell gave me a fee waiver (unsolicited by me, presumably because I'm a minority..I am not low income). I did apply to Cornell (undergrad, got accepted and attended).
Do law schools give fee waivers to students whom they want?? Or do they only give the waivers to low income students.

It's based on LSAT/GPA, and URM status (I'm not). I managed to get one for U Minn, and they really did want me, though YMMV, as softs are a crapshoot come app time: I applied too late to make the most of WUSTL's waiver, and got waitlisted.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:00 pm

I don't think it's based on LSAT/GPA... anyways, that wasn't how I got mine. A few gave them to me before I even took my LSATs (URM status) thought the LSAC referral service I think.

I applied for an LSAC fee waiver and got it... which is based on low income... so I automatically qualified for a fee waiver at every school i applied to.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:17 pm

I made up a form e-mail and sent it to every school I was interested in. It listed my LSAC UGPA, LSAT, and some generic boilerplate about how I was interested in their school. It then politely inquired as to the availability of fee waivers. All but a handful gave me a fee waiver quickly. Of those that told me they do not give out fee waivers, two or three of them subsequently gave me a hidden one through LSAC CRS when they did their January pass through the database.

I can only assume being URM makes it a lot easier.

saito816

Postby saito816 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Lonagan wrote:I made up a form e-mail and sent it to every school I was interested in. It listed my LSAC UGPA, LSAT, and some generic boilerplate about how I was interested in their school. It then politely inquired as to the availability of fee waivers. All but a handful gave me a fee waiver quickly. Of those that told me they do not give out fee waivers, two or three of them subsequently gave me a hidden one through LSAC CRS when they did their January pass through the database.

How early did you send out the fee waiver requests? I'm a URM and really can't afford to apply to a ton of reach schools, so I was thinking about trying for some waivers. I was not sure if I should wait until September or not though.
Thanks

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:51 am

saito816 wrote:
Lonagan wrote:I made up a form e-mail and sent it to every school I was interested in. It listed my LSAC UGPA, LSAT, and some generic boilerplate about how I was interested in their school. It then politely inquired as to the availability of fee waivers. All but a handful gave me a fee waiver quickly. Of those that told me they do not give out fee waivers, two or three of them subsequently gave me a hidden one through LSAC CRS when they did their January pass through the database.

How early did you send out the fee waiver requests? I'm a URM and really can't afford to apply to a ton of reach schools, so I was thinking about trying for some waivers. I was not sure if I should wait until September or not though.
Thanks

Are you also lower income? Apply for the LSAC fee waiver and most law schools will automatically giv eyou an application fee waiver when you go to apply. Visit http://www.lsac.org/lsat/fee-waivers.asp

Otherwise you willl hav eto apply to each school seperately for a fee waiver.\

saito816

Postby saito816 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:47 pm

krj02004 wrote:
saito816 wrote:

Thanks

Are you also lower income? Apply for the LSAC fee waiver and most law schools will automatically giv eyou an application fee waiver when you go to apply. Visit http://www.lsac.org/lsat/fee-waivers.asp

Otherwise you willl hav eto apply to each school seperately for a fee waiver.\

Not low enough income to qualify for the LSAC fee waiver, I was just wondering when I should send requests to individual schools

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Was that for this cycle? (I'm assuming it is..but just making sure!) I was just hesitant to inquire about fee waivers to schools that hadn't already begun sending out fee waivers, since it is a bit early right now.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:06 pm

masterthearts wrote:I saw a thread on fee waivers. Are fee waivers given to low income students so that they don't have to pay to apply? That is the way it was in college.

Many schools send you fee waivers if your numbers/URM status are in their ballpark and they'd like to have you in their applicant pool. This is if you've registered for the LSDAS.

Additionally, you can apply for a general need-based fee waiver through the LSAC that most schools will accept.

For some schools you must apply directly to the university for need-based fee waivers. These can have early deadlines (in the 2010 cycle Texas's was like Nov. 1st), so you need to be on the ball.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”