Ole Miss Law School Class of 2013

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rnjones73

Ole Miss Law School Class of 2013

Postby rnjones73 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Last edited by rnjones73 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Re: Ole Miss Law School Class of 2013

Postby deadpanic » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:54 am

Most all of the housing is pretty close to campus it being such a small town, unless you want to be able to walk to campus & then your options are going to be a little more limited.

Right by campus:

Campus Walk - Older, but typical college housing apartments. I think they are mostly all 3 BRs & 4 BRs, but not completely sure.

Campus Creek - Right across from Campus Walk, and basically the same thing, except they are newer. For both of these, I think they include utilities in your rent, but can't say that with 100% certainty. If you need other roommates they will probably be able to match you up.

-Both of these are actually a pretty long walk to the old law building. However, they are really close and definitely walkable to the new law school building.

I posted this in another thread:
The problem with Oxford is that 1 bedrooms are really rare. Most of them are not really reasonable for being such a small town, either.

Lexington Pointe has 1 BRs that allow pets. They are your standard stacked college apartments with 1 BR/2BR/3BR available. They are near Wal-Mart and just about a mile to the new law school. It is mainly undergrads.

The Links have 1BRs, but I don't think they allow pets. On a 9 hole golf course. Fairly nice, but overall, just another standard college apartment like Lexington. They are out Highway 6, just about a mile from Wal-Mart and a couple miles from the law school. Mainly undergrads.

Cambridge Station is not awful, but it wouldn't be my first choice. They are only 2 BR/2 BA, but it is pretty close to campus and fairly cheap. Their 2BRs may actually be cheaper than some of the 1 bedrooms. Pretty close to the Square too. Mostly undergrads, but some families seem to live here as well. Tiny pool. Looks really crappy.

A lot of law students seem to live at the Mark, which is a straight shot to campus, but is further out on Old Taylor Rd (still really close). Probably 1.5 miles to the new law school. They do allow pets, but they are only 2 bedrooms/2 baths to my knowledge. Seems to be mostly an older crowd (grad students, young professionals) and some undergrads thrown in, but never heard any complaints about any noisy partying. Pools (they have 2) seems to be mostly younger kids that don't live there.

If anyone has any other questions I can try and answer them. I did my undergrad at Ole Miss and will also be a 1L this Fall.

alphagam4life

Postby alphagam4life » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks for the advice:) I am so looking forward to the move to Oxford! Not much time until orientation now:)

rnjones73

Postby rnjones73 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Do either of you know what section you are in?, I just noticed that my schedule has been posted...... :D

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Most of my classes say Section 2. Legal writing says Section 6 :?:

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:59 pm

deadpanic wrote:Most all of the housing is pretty close to campus it being such a small town, unless you want to be able to walk to campus & then your options are going to be a little more limited.

Right by campus:

Campus Walk - Older, but typical college housing apartments. I think they are mostly all 3 BRs & 4 BRs, but not completely sure.

Campus Creek - Right across from Campus Walk, and basically the same thing, except they are newer. For both of these, I think they include utilities in your rent, but can't say that with 100% certainty. If you need other roommates they will probably be able to match you up.

-Both of these are actually a pretty long walk to the old law building. However, they are really close and definitely walkable to the new law school building.

I posted this in another thread:
The problem with Oxford is that 1 bedrooms are really rare. Most of them are not really reasonable for being such a small town, either.

Lexington Pointe has 1 BRs that allow pets. They are your standard stacked college apartments with 1 BR/2BR/3BR available. They are near Wal-Mart and just about a mile to the new law school. It is mainly undergrads.

The Links have 1BRs, but I don't think they allow pets. On a 9 hole golf course. Fairly nice, but overall, just another standard college apartment like Lexington. They are out Highway 6, just about a mile from Wal-Mart and a couple miles from the law school. Mainly undergrads.

Cambridge Station is not awful, but it wouldn't be my first choice. They are only 2 BR/2 BA, but it is pretty close to campus and fairly cheap. Their 2BRs may actually be cheaper than some of the 1 bedrooms. Pretty close to the Square too. Mostly undergrads, but some families seem to live here as well. Tiny pool. Looks really crappy.

A lot of law students seem to live at the Mark, which is a straight shot to campus, but is further out on Old Taylor Rd (still really close). Probably 1.5 miles to the new law school. They do allow pets, but they are only 2 bedrooms/2 baths to my knowledge. Seems to be mostly an older crowd (grad students, young professionals) and some undergrads thrown in, but never heard any complaints about any noisy partying. Pools (they have 2) seems to be mostly younger kids that don't live there.

If anyone has any other questions I can try and answer them. I did my undergrad at Ole Miss and will also be a 1L this Fall.

If you dont mind me asking, why did you choose Ole Miss? And what where the other colleges you were looking at?

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:08 pm

I will bump this one and I am sorry for posting in the class thread but there is too little info on the site right now. I am applying for 2011, (from Ohio), and a 3.54 and 160. I am applying the in August when the window opens and writing an out of state statement and hoping my numbers carry me because I want to experience something other than Ohio. I love the cheap tuition and favorable residency requirements and am trying to get more info on the school. I hear Oxford is beautiful and Ole Miss is tops in the state if you want to practice there. I am interested in all thoughts especially the out of state people.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:15 pm

mpj-
I think you should have no problem with being accepted.

Darby-
PM sent.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:23 pm

deadpanic wrote:mpj-
I think you should have no problem with being accepted.

Darby-
PM sent.

I haven't recieved one, could you resend?

rnjones73

Postby rnjones73 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:36 pm

3 of my classes say Section 3, one says section 2 and the other says section 7...... I guess I am in section 3???... I am going to buy my books on amazon or alibris... Also has anyone checked out the bluebook citation website? What are your thoughts on an online subscription, in addition to the bluebook??
Thanks,

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:59 pm

From what you guys have seen, how is the scholarship money being offered? I have read about the new building and I how everything is going to that but I am still wondering. Anyone know about out of state people? Just curious because the tuition is rock bottom at the second year with lax residency so even no to minimal scholarship would still make Ole Miss look good.

Also, I looked at their profile and about 30% of matrics were non-residents and of those I would assume most are other southern states. Anyone know how many people from the north come? I am also interested if anyone has first had or anecdotal stuff on how people fare because I think I can adjust to most environments.

Ole Miss is quickly moving up on my list because of the cost and I bet it is really nice in the area.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”