Last Minute Waitlist Admit Advice: Minnesota vs. Notre Dame

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Minnesota or Notre Dame?

Stick with Notre Dame with $30,000 per year.
78%
Go to Minnesota with $35,000 per year.
23%

Total votes: 40

theantiscalia

Last Minute Waitlist Admit Advice: Minnesota vs. Notre Dame

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:01 pm

After a tough choice between WUSTL and Notre Dame a few months ago, I was all set to attend Notre Dame. I had plastered Notre Dame paraphenalia all over my bedroom, put the sticker on my car, and told my friends and family that I was going to join the Fightin' Irish. I've even got an apartment set up in South Bend.

Minnesota was also one of my top choices, but (presumably) because of my late application, I was waitlisted. Today, I received a phone call and was admitted with a $35,000 per year scholarship. My scholarship at Notre Dame is only $30,000 per year, and while both have a low cost of attendance, the total for MN over three years is $27,000 less than ND (taking into account interest on debt, rising cost of attendance, et cetera).

I have until next week to decide. I liked Minnesota, but I fell in love with Notre Dame, and I have always wanted to attend that university.

I am very debt averse, especially in this economy. I am leaving a fairly lucrative job to become a lawyer (my life dream), and I want to minimize debt. $27,000 is a lot of money. But I think I'd be happier at Notre Dame, and even though the two schools are tied in the US News rankings, Notre Dame does have better clerkship and biglaw placement.

Your thoughts, TLS? What would you do?
Last edited by theantiscalia on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theantiscalia

Re: Last Minute Waitlist Admit Advice: Minnesota vs. Notre Dame

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:02 pm

I know everybody will want to know: I'm looking to practice in Kansas City, St. Louis, or Chicago. I'd be content with Indianapolis or Minneapolis, though.

mapnoren

Postby mapnoren » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Why did you pick ND over WUSTL? Did you not receive any money from WUSTL? If you want to practice in Missouri (KC or STL), WUSTL would be the best choice by far. With Chicago, ND or WUSTL both place well, and there are a number of other schools to compete with Mich, Chi, NU, UICI, and WI. Only go to Minn if you really want to live in Minn or WI.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Cheaper is better.

MissSaunders

Postby MissSaunders » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Even though MN is a great option, you may want to stick with Notre Dame. I also chose ND over other options because I feel it will be a better fit for me. Being comfortable in your environment is critical to doing well, and it sounds like you would be happier at ND. Plus, as you mentioned, the clerkship and biglaw placement are a bit better, possibly resulting in more career opportunities and location flexibility. Best of luck with your decision, hope to see you in South Bend next month!

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Minnesota has a god-like bar passage rate. What can be said for Minnesota is that you have a great secondary market if you fail to make it into Chicago. Notre-Dame has a wide spread alumni base with strong ties to California so that is something to consider. Problem is the secondary market has another great school in it (IUB). Minnesota has less competition than Notre Dame. You really can't go wrong with either choice here, although Minnesota has less risk.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:46 pm

theantiscalia wrote:I know everybody will want to know: I'm looking to practice in Kansas City, St. Louis, or Chicago. I'd be content with Indianapolis or Minneapolis, though.

Are you a Minnesota resident? If you are, definitely UMN. If not, and Minneapolis isn't your #1 market, then ND.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:48 pm

If you are going to be happier at Notre Dame, then go there, that will make a bigger impact on your 1L year and might be worth the slightly higher cost. It sounds like you want Notre Dame, so that's where you belong I think.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:49 pm

I still don't see why you'd pay more money for slightly higher prospects.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:49 pm

mapnoren wrote:Why did you pick ND over WUSTL? Did you not receive any money from WUSTL? If you want to practice in Missouri (KC or STL), WUSTL would be the best choice by far. With Chicago, ND or WUSTL both place well, and there are a number of other schools to compete with Mich, Chi, NU, UICI, and WI. Only go to Minn if you really want to live in Minn or WI.

I had $81,000 ($27,000 per year) from WUSTL. I liked WUSTL, but I went to UG there, and I opted for resume diversity and the cheaper option (COL is MUCH higher at WUSTL). My top choice is Kansas City, and WUSTL doesn't have a strong presence here (seriously) due to self selection.

I'm not a MN resident; I'm a MO resident.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:52 pm

theantiscalia wrote:
mapnoren wrote:Why did you pick ND over WUSTL? Did you not receive any money from WUSTL? If you want to practice in Missouri (KC or STL), WUSTL would be the best choice by far. With Chicago, ND or WUSTL both place well, and there are a number of other schools to compete with Mich, Chi, NU, UICI, and WI. Only go to Minn if you really want to live in Minn or WI.

I had $81,000 ($27,000 per year) from WUSTL. I liked WUSTL, but I went to UG there, and I opted for resume diversity and the cheaper option (COL is MUCH higher at WUSTL). My top choice is Kansas City, and WUSTL doesn't have a strong presence here (seriously) due to self selection.

Do you think Wash U (law) lives up to the hype?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:08 pm

vandalvideo wrote:Minnesota has a god-like bar passage rate.

Minnesota and Notre Dame have the same bar passage rate (within 0.06% of each other).

I'd recommend Notre Dame over Minnesota, especially if you don't want to practice in Minnesota.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:09 pm

kk19131 wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:

Do you think Wash U (law) lives up to the hype?

I think it does, and I would have been very happy to go to law school there. I wouldn't trade my UG years there for anything... my classmates have gone on to do amazing things in just the four years since I graduated... going there has certainly propelled my current career.

That said, I'll be the first to admit the University makes an active attempt to "buy their way" to the top. They have one of the largest endowments per student in the country, and the Medical School pulls in enough grant money to cover what the endowment doesn't. They don't need tuition. They want high quality students, researchers, and professors, and they're willing to pay for them. They get a lot of crap about that, but in my view, whether you buy quality (like they're doing) or develop it naturally (like Stanford has done in the past century), quality is quality.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:33 pm

theantiscalia wrote:

Based on all of this, go to ND. You don't want Minneapolis and have no connections there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”