Any good T3 or T4 schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WayneRooney

Any good T3 or T4 schools?

Postby WayneRooney » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Are there any good T3 or T4 schools out there? Like some nice niche that those schools do well in? I know that Stetson in FL is ranked high nationaly in trial advocacy and legal writing for example. I heard about T3 ot T4 in Texas that go to work in Houston and have starting income comparable to lower T1 school.

I do not need BIGLAW obviously, but would be happy in anyplace, even a small city, where I can keep practicing, network, gain clients and live a comfortable life. Any regional law schools that do really well? Seems to be the consensus if I go to Barry i will be destitute, but isnt there other "diamond in the rough" schools?

thanks.

cartercl

Re: Any good T3 or T4 schools?

Postby cartercl » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:12 pm

WayneRooney wrote:Are there any good T3 or T4 schools out there? Like some nice niche that those schools do well in? I know that Stetson in FL is ranked high nationaly in trial advocacy and legal writing for example. I heard about T3 ot T4 in Texas that go to work in Houston and have starting income comparable to lower T1 school.

I do not need BIGLAW obviously, but would be happy in anyplace, even a small city, where I can keep practicing, network, gain clients and live a comfortable life. Any regional law schools that do really well? Seems to be the consensus if I go to Barry i will be destitute, but isnt there other "diamond in the rough" schools?

thanks.

Yeah, South Texas. I'm applying there. It's probably the only T4 I would seriously consider attending. I think MSU is gonna be a powerhouse one day just because of the UG's strength. I think FIU is a bit underrated. And people in LA (where I'm from) interested in environmental law talk about Pace, fwiw (though I really don't know what to make of that).

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:15 pm

cooley was ranked the number 12 law school in the nation in 2008: --LinkRemoved--

balzern

Postby balzern » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:16 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:cooley was ranked the number 12 law school in the nation in 2008: --LinkRemoved--

haha what rankings are these ^^

dukelawguy144

Postby dukelawguy144 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:16 pm

the answer to your question is no.

re-take and reapply or dont go

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:17 pm

the cooley rankings.

balzern

Postby balzern » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:20 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:the cooley rankings.

here are the balzern rankings

1. Pizza
2. Cheeseburger
3. Pet Dogs
4. Kittens
etc......

69988478479349. Steroids
69988478479350. Cooley

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:25 pm

WayneRooney wrote:Are there any good T3 or T4 schools out there? Like some nice niche that those schools do well in? I know that Stetson in FL is ranked high nationaly in trial advocacy and legal writing for example. I heard about T3 ot T4 in Texas that go to work in Houston and have starting income comparable to lower T1 school.

thanks.

There are some regional schools that do decently, but they won't be placing into BigLaw and will only really place into local markets. (Forget about any National rankings you see like Stetson's...those are a myth.) You really need to look into the market and see how many grads from what schools are working. On Martindale, for instance, you can search by school and see what practicing attorneys in what firms went to that school.

For instance, Temple in Philly places decently in that city (though not in central PA where Penn State places better or MD where Maryland places, etc.

balzern

Postby balzern » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:26 pm

I am prob going to get slaughtered for this but I personally think it depends what kind of job you want to have and the specific market you are speaking of - what schools feed into it...

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:29 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:the answer to your question is no.

So what gives man... after attending a "shitty UG (as you described it in another thread)" you all of a sudden think you are high and mighty since you got in at Duke? Seriously, give it a rest dude. Of course there are some decent T3's and T4's out there that would greatly benefit people attending for a variety of reasons. You have no clue what the OP's motives are for wanting to apply to a T3 or T4.

Maybe he/she wants to be closer to home or something. Already has a job landed. Tons of reasons. OP made no mention of his/her numbers, so I don't know where you get off making the wild assumption that his/her numbers suck enough that a retake is warranted.

I'm starting to seriously question how you got into Duke...
Last edited by cartercl on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:31 pm

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:33 pm

cartercl wrote:

So what gives man... after attending a "shitty UG (as you described it in another thread)" you all of a sudden think you are high and mighty since you got in at Duke? Seriously, give it a rest dude. Of course there are some decent T3's and T4's out there that would greatly benefit people attending for a variety of reasons. You have no clue what the OP's motives are for wanting to apply to a T3 or T4.

Maybe he/she wants to be closer to home or something. Already has a job landed. Tons of reasons. OP made no mention of his/her numbers, so I don't know where you get off making the wild assumption that his/her numbers suck enough that a retake is warranted.

I starting to seriously question how you got into Duke...

Woah. He was just citing conventional TLS wisdom. Obviously there are exceptions, but you need to relax.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
cartercl wrote:

Woah. He was just citing conventional TLS wisdom. Obviously there are exceptions, but you need to relax.

It's not that. I understand that, and I'm perfectly chill. If you saw some of his posts you would understand my reaction. But I have no dog in this fight. So I will bow out.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:40 pm

cartercl wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:
cartercl wrote:

It's not that. I understand that, and I'm perfectly chill. If you saw some of his posts you would understand my reaction. But I have no dog in this fight. So I will bow out.

Yeah, you could be right. I haven't read any of his other posts. But FWIW, Duke is TTT

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

Not entirely true. Given the OPs statements about where he wants to work...a T3/4 wouldn't be terrible if he had a full-ride for instance.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:43 pm

blowhard wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Not entirely true. Given the OPs statements about where he wants to work...a T3/4 wouldn't be terrible if he had a full-ride for instance.

This is def right, btw

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:44 pm

University of Baltimore does very, very well in Baltimore and absolutely nowhere else.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Northeastern, Suffolk, University of St. Thomas (Minnesota), and FIU are all pretty good.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Pearalegal wrote:University of Baltimore does very, very well in Baltimore and absolutely nowhere else.

I thought Maryland did better in B-more? Anyone I've known who have gone there are still looking or joined the military (not that thats a bad thing).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:08 pm

blowhard wrote:
For instance, Temple in Philly places decently in that city (though not in central PA where Penn State places better or MD where Maryland places, etc.

Temple is also a T2, and places roughly 15% into BigLaw.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:10 pm

I do not need BIGLAW obviously, but would be happy in anyplace, even a small city, where I can keep practicing, network, gain clients and live a comfortable life. Any regional law schools that do really well? Seems to be the consensus if I go to Barry i will be destitute, but isnt there other "diamond in the rough" schools? thanks.

university of nebraska has remarkably low tuition, especially if you're a resident. since the only other school in ne is creighton, you can probably count on being able to find a job in-state. and nebraska is a nice place to live.

that being said, i turned unl down.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:15 pm

The t4 you are referring to is South Texas and it does better than its ranking suggests but you still need to be in the top of your class. And its pretty expensive but if you had a nice scholarship and didn't mind Houston for a while after law school I think its a viable option.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:19 pm

blowhard wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:University of Baltimore does very, very well in Baltimore and absolutely nowhere else.

I thought Maryland did better in B-more? Anyone I've known who have gone there are still looking or joined the military (not that thats a bad thing).

Yes, it does, but Baltimore does very well along side it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:20 pm

WayneRooney wrote:Are there any good T3 or T4 schools out there? Like some nice niche that those schools do well in? I know that Stetson in FL is ranked high nationaly in trial advocacy and legal writing for example.

Stetson is bad. Specialty rankings don't translate to employment. Stetson is third in line after UF and FSU for the Tampa/St. Pete market. From Stetson, in this economy, big law is pretty much out. Period. Small firms and local govt. which used to hire Stetson grads are barely hiring. The county is low on funds. To cap it all off, Stetson is ridiculously expensive.

In summary, Stetson is not good.

yinz

Postby yinz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:23 pm

rad law wrote:
WayneRooney wrote:Are there any good T3 or T4 schools out there? Like some nice niche that those schools do well in? I know that Stetson in FL is ranked high nationaly in trial advocacy and legal writing for example.

Stetson is bad. Specialty rankings don't translate to employment. Stetson is third in line after UF and FSU for the Tampa/St. Pete market. From Stetson, in this economy, big law is pretty much out. Period. Small firms and local govt. which used to hire Stetson grads are barely hiring. The county is low on funds. To cap it all off, Stetson is ridiculously expensive.

In summary, Stetson is not good.

MERCER'S LW PROGRAM IS RANKED #1 ---> MERCER IS GOOD LAW SCHOOL

(WHY AM I YELLING?!)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”