So confused at my choices...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JD=Doctor
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 pm

So confused at my choices...

Postby JD=Doctor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:59 am

I'll be graduating with a 3.6-3.7 gpa from UCLA and i got a 165 on my first LSAT (my Avg on PTs)

I really want to go to Gould...USC LAW but feel my LSAT is slightly bellow their Median

Im afraid if i take the LSAT again i could bomb a section and possibly do worse (although this time i overdosed on 5 hr energys and started flush after section 3)

Im assuming ill get $$$ from pepperdine but i don't know if i'd want to go their.

What do you all recommend...where else to apply? what else to do?
I really wanted to go to school in NY then practice in LA but i hear thats unlikely...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:41 am

Retake. USC is not really going to look at you any different if you are a 165 or a 165/155, though they will look at a 170/165 differently from a 165.

If you want to go to school in NY and practice in LA your only real options would be CLS/NYU/Cornell (scratch the last one if you meant the city and not the state).

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby Perch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:44 pm

bk1 wrote:Retake. USC is not really going to look at you any different if you are a 165 or a 165/155, though they will look at a 170/165 differently from a 165.


why do you say that? wouldn't a school look down on getting a 155 after the original 165? USC in particular? very curious now.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Perch wrote:
bk1 wrote:Retake. USC is not really going to look at you any different if you are a 165 or a 165/155, though they will look at a 170/165 differently from a 165.


why do you say that? wouldn't a school look down on getting a 155 after the original 165? USC in particular? very curious now.


disclaimer: did not really read anyone's posts in this thread

because of the way USNWR does rankings and how law schools report their incoming class numbers, retakes are more beneficial to the students now

for most law schools, your highest score is the one they report, so it is the one they care about

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:54 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:and i got a 165 on my first LSAT (my Avg on PTs)



Retake isn't always an automatic response, you sheeple.

OP, how much studying did you do? If you spent 6 months studying and scored right along the lines of your PT's, then I wouldn't retake. If you did 3 PT's and called it good, retake.

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby soonergirl » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:58 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Perch wrote:
bk1 wrote:Retake. USC is not really going to look at you any different if you are a 165 or a 165/155, though they will look at a 170/165 differently from a 165.


why do you say that? wouldn't a school look down on getting a 155 after the original 165? USC in particular? very curious now.


disclaimer: did not really read anyone's posts in this thread

because of the way USNWR does rankings and how law schools report their incoming class numbers, retakes are more beneficial to the students now

for most law schools, your highest score is the one they report, so it is the one they care about


this is true, but it's more true if you have a 75th percentile after a 40th percentile, than if you have a 40th percentile and retake to a 25th. In the latter hypothetical, neither score benefits the school at all, and the applicant has only undermined his cause. He went from being a possible in to a definite out.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby traehekat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:38 am

What about Davis and Hastings? You are probably a lock for both.

With a 165 I don't think you have much of a shot at USC. If you really want USC, then you should retake. If you bomb it won't make a difference. You probably wouldn't get into USC with just the 165 anyway (so the fact you may have a lower, more recent score is irrelevant as far as USC is concerned), and any other schools you would be looking at won't care what your other LSAT scores are - they are just going to report the 165.

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby Matteliszt » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:48 am

my guess is 168+ for USC.

Sup Traehekat. Grats on Iowa.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby traehekat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:01 am

Matteliszt wrote:my guess is 168+ for USC.

Sup Traehekat. Grats on Iowa.


Thanks man, ditto on UNC. How's your summer been?

User avatar
taw856
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby taw856 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:43 am

What UCLA grad wants to go to USC?

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:48 am

taw856 wrote:What UCLA grad wants to go to USC?


I was kind of wondering that myself. What's wrong with going to UCLA for law school?

JD=Doctor
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:06 pm

PDaddy wrote:
taw856 wrote:What UCLA grad wants to go to USC?


I was kind of wondering that myself. What's wrong with going to UCLA for law school?


Ucla is a lot harder to get into...i'v heard of more people getting into USC with lower numbers
im still gonna apply to both


To the person asking about my studying time.... i took a class which began on the firstt of april so roughly 2 months of studing and 5 PTs after learning all the material with RC fluctuating from -2 to -10 (-8 on the test) Games from perfect to -2/3 errors and LR -5 total to -10 total
RC being the hardest to control3

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby TheOcho » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Beyond admissions to USC, 1 or 2 more points can result in additional $$ to another school. I'd consider you start studying for a re-take, and if you're confident you'll beat the 165 after, sign up. According to some posters a lower score won't significantly hurt you. A higher score, however, can be the difference in an acceptance or thousands of debt. I'm in a similar situation and am preparing for the October LSAT. I'll make my decision in a month or so.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: So confused at my choices...

Postby scribelaw » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:19 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
taw856 wrote:What UCLA grad wants to go to USC?


I was kind of wondering that myself. What's wrong with going to UCLA for law school?


Ucla is a lot harder to get into...i'v heard of more people getting into USC with lower numbers
im still gonna apply to both


To the person asking about my studying time.... i took a class which began on the firstt of april so roughly 2 months of studing and 5 PTs after learning all the material with RC fluctuating from -2 to -10 (-8 on the test) Games from perfect to -2/3 errors and LR -5 total to -10 total
RC being the hardest to control3


You didn't study enough. Your RC should not have fluctuated that much, and five PTs isn't sufficient to get a top score in most cases. If you occasionally missed 10 on LR, you also have a lot of room for improvement there most likely.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vinayk95 and 4 guests