HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ta06fsu

New

HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Post by ta06fsu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 pm

On the wait list at Duke and they have sent an email today to some of the people still on the waitlist giving us an option of converting our application to a 2011 binding early application with our decision coming by July 16 of this year. With such a quick turn around I'm assuming that this will most likely be an acceptance lol hopefully. I'm currently in at WUSTL for this year and have already spent $600 in deposit fees and have a decent scholly. All I've heard ever since I started the app process was T14 or bust etc etc. So should I fill out the form thereby effectively committing myself to Duke if accepted?

holybartender

Bronze

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Post by holybartender » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Duke.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Where do you want to work? With no preference, I would go to Duke in a heartbeat.

ta06fsu

New

Post by ta06fsu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm

No real location preference.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:32 pm

See you in 2011.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ta06fsu

New

Post by ta06fsu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Lol thanks guys. I've talked to some people and it's pretty much unanimous.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Duke.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:17 pm

Schools defer admits all of the time. Man, Virginia is even paying people with shollys this year to defer. I understand that your numbers might not be worthy of schollys, but why is Duke not willing to accept and defer you?

Might it be because if they accept, they can't force a deferal on you legally?

In any case, before agreeing to Duke's terms, definitely try to get them to admit you outright, and promise to defer, if that is a problem, like, on your scout's honor.

I just think that it is crap that you assume so much risk here.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:18 pm

sumus romani wrote:Schools defer admits all of the time. Man, Virginia is even paying people with shollys this year to defer. I understand that your numbers might not be worthy of schollys, but why is Duke not willing to accept and defer you?

In any case, before agreeing to Duke's terms, definitely try to get them to admit you outright, and promise to defer, if that is a problem, like, on your scout's honor.

What risk? If he signs the form and gets accepted, he goes to Duke next year. If he signs the form and gets rejected, he goes to WUSTL this year. Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the risk involved?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Schools defer admits all of the time. Man, Virginia is even paying people with shollys this year to defer. I understand that your numbers might not be worthy of schollys, but why is Duke not willing to accept and defer you?

What risk? If he signs the form and gets accepted, he goes to Duke next year. If he signs the form and gets rejected, he goes to WUSTL this year. Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the risk involved?

I suppose that I misread, but I thought that the terms of any seat deposit agreement would prohibit applying to any more schools (one must withdraw from all other schools, right?, and only ride waitlists). OP would indeed be applying to more schools if he applied to Duke class of 2014. So I thought that OP would either invalidate his seat deposit at WU, or at least risk it (and bar admission, etc.). But I guess that Duke has in mind that the OP can apply to more schools, even with a seat deposit at WU, if the application is for next year. I'd be interested in seeing the precise language of the seat deposit form for WU.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:31 pm

sumus romani wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I suppose that I misread, but I thought that the terms of any seat deposit agreement would prohibit applying to any more schools (one must withdraw from all other schools, right?, and only ride waitlists). OP would indeed be applying to more schools if he applied to Duke class of 2014. So I thought that OP would either invalidate his seat deposit at WU, or at least risk it (and bar admission, etc.). But I guess that Duke has in mind that the OP can apply to more schools, even with a seat deposit at WU, if the application is for next year. I'd be interested in seeing the precise language of the seat deposit form for WU.
He already applied to Duke. He is on the waitlist. This isn't a new application.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm

It seems more like a form where he swears hell go if accepted off the waitlist, not an entirely new application.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sumus romani wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

He already applied to Duke. He is on the waitlist. This isn't a new application.
Yes, it is a new application for the class of 2014. He is on the waitlist for the class of 2013. These are two different applications. Am I missing something here? I have tried to advise the OP to stick with his application for 2013 and get a deferal. But Duke wants him to apply to the class of 2014.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm

julesm2200 wrote:It seems more like a form where he swears hell go if accepted off the waitlist, not an entirely new application.

I'm just going by the way that the OP framed it.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm

I doubt Duke would offer this if they knew it violated all other law school's policies about seat deposits/withdrawing other applications/etc. Maybe OP should call Duke and ask?

night06

New

Post by night06 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:39 pm

julesm2200 wrote:It seems more like a form where he swears hell go if accepted off the waitlist, not an entirely new application.
This is correct.

The email states: "you may convert your current application to a binding Early Decision application for 2011 by submitting this form"

Then it provides a link to the certification form. All you have to do is sign it. You don't actually fill out a new application.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 pm

sumus romani wrote: Yes, it is a new application for the class of 2014. He is on the waitlist for the class of 2013. These are two different applications. Am I missing something here? I have tried to advise the OP to stick with his application for 2013 and get a deferal. But Duke wants him to apply to the class of 2014.
Its not a new application. You literally fill out a form that was sent in the email (or linked to in the email) and Duke makes a decision with your current application by mid-July. Assuming you get accepted, it is basically a forced binding deferral.
Last edited by RhubarbPie on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 pm

julesm2200 wrote:I doubt Duke would offer this if they knew it violated all other law school's policies about seat deposits/withdrawing other applications/etc. Maybe OP should call Duke and ask?

I'm not suggesting that Duke knows that this violates all other law schools' policies. But I do think that, given the way that the OP described the process, he needs to look very carefully at the wording of the deposit form for WU. For example, some schools allow double-depositing, and some don't. It is just case-by-case with this sort of stuff.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 pm

RhubarbPie wrote:
sumus romani wrote: Yes, it is a new application for the class of 2014. He is on the waitlist for the class of 2013. These are two different applications. Am I missing something here? I have tried to advise the OP to stick with his application for 2013 and get a deferal. But Duke wants him to apply to the class of 2014.
Its not a new application. You literally fill out a form that was sent in the email (or linked to in the email) and Duke makes a decision with your current application by mid-July. Assuming you get accepted, it is basically a forced binding deferral.

I stand corrected.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 pm

I got this email too. I do not believe it was a guarantee by any means.

ConLawLover

New

Post by ConLawLover » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Both are pretty lame schools. Retake and apply to HYS, where the real men go

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Call WUSTL. Ask. They will say Yes or No. They aren't going to revoke your acceptance. Then make your decision based on actual facts. Good luck.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:04 pm

Whether it's a WL->Acceptance w/ deferral or ED application for next year's class is primarily a semantic issue. When you defer an acceptance at Duke you agree not to apply to any other schools in the next cycle and guarantee matriculation the following year. Obviously, I'm sure some exceptions apply to the "guaranteed matriculation" stipulation, but I doubt any of those would end up with one enrolling at a different law school the next fall. I think it's Duke's prerogative to offer acceptances in this manner, just how Northwestern will do the same to straight from UG candidates with strong applications.

caleng

New

Post by caleng » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:50 pm

I got the same email and the impression I got was that if you get in, you have to go to Duke in 2011, if you don't get in, go to whatever school you were already planning on attending this year. I agree with sumus romani, Duke knows the standard acceptance policies.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:57 pm

How much is your WUSTL scholarship? Would no amount change your mind? I'd personally take WUSTL full ride over Duke sticker, but that's just me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”