HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nealric

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:11 pm

I say Duke with anything less than a full ride.

ta06fsu

New

Post by ta06fsu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:How much is your WUSTL scholarship? Would no amount change your mind? I'd personally take WUSTL full ride over Duke sticker, but that's just me.
Scholly at WUSTL is 75K. Full ride at WUSTL would be awfully tempting to turn down but a better question is would I turn down UCLA(15) full ride for sticker at Georgetown(14)? After wrestling with the whole money argument I seriously would do it in the end. Call me crazy but sadly I have bought into the whole T14 thing hook, line, and sinker.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:15 pm

ta06fsu wrote:Scholly at WUSTL is 75K. Full ride at WUSTL would be awfully tempting to turn down but a better question is would I turn down UCLA(15) full ride for sticker at Georgetown(14)? After wrestling with the whole money argument I seriously would do it in the end. Call me crazy but sadly I have bought into the whole T14 thing hook, line, and sinker.
T14 is hardly a meaningful distinction anymore. Georgetown is literally one point above both UCLA and Texas in the rankings, and there's a 4 point drop off from Duke/Northwestern to Cornell and another 4 point drop from Vandy to USC. There's no one you would actually turn down a full ride at UCLA for sticker at GULC based solely on rankings. If so, you are unintelligent.

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:20 pm

got the same email today too...tempting...but i'm staying put at Wash U with 114k

jmesser

New

Post by jmesser » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Any suggestions for same situation except gw instead of wustl? Negligible merit aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
ta06fsu wrote:Scholly at WUSTL is 75K. Full ride at WUSTL would be awfully tempting to turn down but a better question is would I turn down UCLA(15) full ride for sticker at Georgetown(14)? After wrestling with the whole money argument I seriously would do it in the end. Call me crazy but sadly I have bought into the whole T14 thing hook, line, and sinker.
T14 is hardly a meaningful distinction anymore. Georgetown is literally one point above both UCLA and Texas in the rankings, and there's a 4 point drop off from Duke/Northwestern to Cornell and another 4 point drop from Vandy to USC. There's no one you would actually turn down a full ride at UCLA for sticker at GULC based solely on rankings. If so, you are unintelligent.
Because the only thing that matter to lawyers is the current edition of the USNWR rankings.

The distinction remains, though the hypothetical you pose at the end is true.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 pm

booboo wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Because the only thing that matter to lawyers is the current edition of the USNWR rankings.

:? Please be sarcasm.

Rock Chalk is right. Unless you are set on DC, taking GULC over UCLA with a full ride would be stupid. (Although I'm not sure UCLA gives full rides.)

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:24 pm

booboo wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

He was being sarcastic in the sense that no one gives a shit about the point system in USNWR rankings. However, he was also saying that stereotypically, there is a difference in the perception of a GULC degree and a Texas one...despite the ranking system showing them to be very similar schools statistically (ie, the statistics chosen by the magazine).

gmstbfla

New

Post by gmstbfla » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm in a similar position. Roll the application over to 2011, but at the price of being locked into Duke if they accept. I'd love to go to Duke, but right now I'm riding on a full tuition offer from UMN. You have to assume that Duke wouldn't offer any financial aid, so it's Duke at sticker a year from now, or UMN now for free. Hard decision, but I just don't see how it's financial viable to try for Duke, especially since you're essentially forfeiting a year of experience post graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:06 am

My question for all of you is this: If sticker at Duke is better than the offer at the school you are currently deposited at, then what do you have to lose?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:38 am

romothesavior wrote:My question for all of you is this: If sticker at Duke is better than the offer at the school you are currently deposited at, then what do you have to lose?
Unfortunately I'm not in this position...but one would lose a year before they start their legal career. If they've got nothing interesting cooking for this next year (unemployed or hate their job) and they have a good scholly to a high ranked school, many people wouldn't want to wait.

Then again...it's Duke.

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 am

I'm in this same predicament with GWU 2010 vs. Duke (if I get lucky) 2011 for DC. Duke is my dream so I think I'm gonna have to try for it. :) goodluckkk

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:00 am

terpette wrote:I'm in this same predicament with GWU 2010 vs. Duke (if I get lucky) 2011 for DC. Duke is my dream so I think I'm gonna have to try for it. :) goodluckkk
How much $ from GWU?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:00 am

Rock Chalk wrote:
terpette wrote:I'm in this same predicament with GWU 2010 vs. Duke (if I get lucky) 2011 for DC. Duke is my dream so I think I'm gonna have to try for it. :) goodluckkk
How much $ from GWU?
No $ from GWU

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:11 am

Regionality wrote:
romothesavior wrote:My question for all of you is this: If sticker at Duke is better than the offer at the school you are currently deposited at, then what do you have to lose?
Unfortunately I'm not in this position...but one would lose a year before they start their legal career. If they've got nothing interesting cooking for this next year (unemployed or hate their job) and they have a good scholly to a high ranked school, many people wouldn't want to wait.

Then again...it's Duke.

It's Duke... Now if it were HYS, then that's a different story.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:37 am

kdw94780 wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Then again...it's Duke.

It's Duke... Now if it were HYS, then that's a different story.
You made the right call, IMO. Those who have smaller scholarships at WUSTL should take Duke in a heartbeat.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:15 pm

terpette wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
How much $ from GWU?
No $ from GWU
Then good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:13 pm

terpette wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
How much $ from GWU?
No $ from GWU
Yah, I think you would be pretty silly not to. Maybe I see you here when I am a 3L? Good luck!

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:08 pm

WUSTL is overanked. Should probably be ranked in the high 20s/low 30s given its reputation and inability to place grads in top law firms.

Duke.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Informative wrote:WUSTL is overanked. Should probably be ranked in the high 20s/low 30s given its reputation and inability to place grads in top law firms.

Duke.
rankings are pretty meaningless.... most of the schools from wustl (19) to fordham (33/34?) are peers.
Last edited by najumobi on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
Informative wrote:WUSTL is overanked. Should probably be ranked in the high 20s/low 30s given its reputation and inability to place grads in top law firms.
Are you just regurgitating info you heard from another troll? WUSTL's peer assessment score says it's ranked appropriately and it's lawyer/judge reputation score is higher than that of USC. The only place it lags is in NLJ 250 placement, where it gets beat out by a few lower ranked schools located in much bigger cities with far more NLJ 250 firms. I'm no WUSTL troll but there's nothing worse than "Anti-School X" trolls with unsubstantiated complaints.
+1 to Rockchalk

Not every firm that pays market for notDC/notNY/notChi/notLA (read: secondary/tertiary) is NLJ 250 :roll:

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:44 pm

To op, it depends on your priorities. With your scholly, you will be in twice as much debt at Duke as WUSTL. That being said you will have amazingly better job prospects out of Duke, especially for big law.

What kind of law do you want to do? Duke will set you up better than WUSTL for just about any type of legal career, but some paths (big law) may be worth taking on the extra debt while some (public defender in illinois) may not.

Have you visited either school? Both? What do you think of them? Which feels right?

There is also the question of the one year. What would you do for the next year? Do you have a job, do you want to travel, or will you do nothing for a year? Are you straight out of undergrad or have you already taken time off. Finally, do you want to personally postpone this a year or not.

One thing to forget about is your Deposit at WUSTL. It is Utterly meaningless when compared to the big money and time considerations that ride on this decision.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
Are you just regurgitating info you heard from another troll? WUSTL's peer assessment score says it's ranked appropriately and it's lawyer/judge reputation score is higher than that of USC. The only place it lags is in NLJ 250 placement, where it gets beat out by a few lower ranked schools located in much bigger cities with far more NLJ 250 firms. I'm no WUSTL troll but there's nothing worse than "Anti-School X" trolls with unsubstantiated complaints.
So the one thing that is important to law students, top law firm hiring, is the one thing you discredit? lol.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:19 pm

Informative wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
So the one thing that is important to law students, top law firm hiring, is the one thing you discredit? lol.
No one discredits it. But WUSTL is, for all intents and purposes, the same at NLJ 250 placement as its traditional peers (ND and UIUC).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”