HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
ta06fsu
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:09 pm

HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby ta06fsu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 pm

On the wait list at Duke and they have sent an email today to some of the people still on the waitlist giving us an option of converting our application to a 2011 binding early application with our decision coming by July 16 of this year. With such a quick turn around I'm assuming that this will most likely be an acceptance lol hopefully. I'm currently in at WUSTL for this year and have already spent $600 in deposit fees and have a decent scholly. All I've heard ever since I started the app process was T14 or bust etc etc. So should I fill out the form thereby effectively committing myself to Duke if accepted?

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby holybartender » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Duke.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Where do you want to work? With no preference, I would go to Duke in a heartbeat.

User avatar
ta06fsu
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:09 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby ta06fsu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm

No real location preference.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:32 pm

See you in 2011.

User avatar
ta06fsu
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:09 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby ta06fsu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Lol thanks guys. I've talked to some people and it's pretty much unanimous.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Duke.

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:17 pm

Schools defer admits all of the time. Man, Virginia is even paying people with shollys this year to defer. I understand that your numbers might not be worthy of schollys, but why is Duke not willing to accept and defer you?

Might it be because if they accept, they can't force a deferal on you legally?

In any case, before agreeing to Duke's terms, definitely try to get them to admit you outright, and promise to defer, if that is a problem, like, on your scout's honor.

I just think that it is crap that you assume so much risk here.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:18 pm

sumus romani wrote:Schools defer admits all of the time. Man, Virginia is even paying people with shollys this year to defer. I understand that your numbers might not be worthy of schollys, but why is Duke not willing to accept and defer you?

Might it be because if they accept, they can't force a deferal on you legally?

In any case, before agreeing to Duke's terms, definitely try to get them to admit you outright, and promise to defer, if that is a problem, like, on your scout's honor.

I just think that it is crap that you assume so much risk here.


What risk? If he signs the form and gets accepted, he goes to Duke next year. If he signs the form and gets rejected, he goes to WUSTL this year. Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the risk involved?

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Schools defer admits all of the time. Man, Virginia is even paying people with shollys this year to defer. I understand that your numbers might not be worthy of schollys, but why is Duke not willing to accept and defer you?

Might it be because if they accept, they can't force a deferal on you legally?

In any case, before agreeing to Duke's terms, definitely try to get them to admit you outright, and promise to defer, if that is a problem, like, on your scout's honor.

I just think that it is crap that you assume so much risk here.


What risk? If he signs the form and gets accepted, he goes to Duke next year. If he signs the form and gets rejected, he goes to WUSTL this year. Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the risk involved?




I suppose that I misread, but I thought that the terms of any seat deposit agreement would prohibit applying to any more schools (one must withdraw from all other schools, right?, and only ride waitlists). OP would indeed be applying to more schools if he applied to Duke class of 2014. So I thought that OP would either invalidate his seat deposit at WU, or at least risk it (and bar admission, etc.). But I guess that Duke has in mind that the OP can apply to more schools, even with a seat deposit at WU, if the application is for next year. I'd be interested in seeing the precise language of the seat deposit form for WU.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:31 pm

sumus romani wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Schools defer admits all of the time. Man, Virginia is even paying people with shollys this year to defer. I understand that your numbers might not be worthy of schollys, but why is Duke not willing to accept and defer you?

Might it be because if they accept, they can't force a deferal on you legally?

In any case, before agreeing to Duke's terms, definitely try to get them to admit you outright, and promise to defer, if that is a problem, like, on your scout's honor.

I just think that it is crap that you assume so much risk here.


What risk? If he signs the form and gets accepted, he goes to Duke next year. If he signs the form and gets rejected, he goes to WUSTL this year. Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the risk involved?




I suppose that I misread, but I thought that the terms of any seat deposit agreement would prohibit applying to any more schools (one must withdraw from all other schools, right?, and only ride waitlists). OP would indeed be applying to more schools if he applied to Duke class of 2014. So I thought that OP would either invalidate his seat deposit at WU, or at least risk it (and bar admission, etc.). But I guess that Duke has in mind that the OP can apply to more schools, even with a seat deposit at WU, if the application is for next year. I'd be interested in seeing the precise language of the seat deposit form for WU.


He already applied to Duke. He is on the waitlist. This isn't a new application.

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby holborn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm

It seems more like a form where he swears hell go if accepted off the waitlist, not an entirely new application.

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sumus romani wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Schools defer admits all of the time. Man, Virginia is even paying people with shollys this year to defer. I understand that your numbers might not be worthy of schollys, but why is Duke not willing to accept and defer you?

Might it be because if they accept, they can't force a deferal on you legally?

In any case, before agreeing to Duke's terms, definitely try to get them to admit you outright, and promise to defer, if that is a problem, like, on your scout's honor.

I just think that it is crap that you assume so much risk here.


What risk? If he signs the form and gets accepted, he goes to Duke next year. If he signs the form and gets rejected, he goes to WUSTL this year. Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the risk involved?




I suppose that I misread, but I thought that the terms of any seat deposit agreement would prohibit applying to any more schools (one must withdraw from all other schools, right?, and only ride waitlists). OP would indeed be applying to more schools if he applied to Duke class of 2014. So I thought that OP would either invalidate his seat deposit at WU, or at least risk it (and bar admission, etc.). But I guess that Duke has in mind that the OP can apply to more schools, even with a seat deposit at WU, if the application is for next year. I'd be interested in seeing the precise language of the seat deposit form for WU.


He already applied to Duke. He is on the waitlist. This isn't a new application.


Yes, it is a new application for the class of 2014. He is on the waitlist for the class of 2013. These are two different applications. Am I missing something here? I have tried to advise the OP to stick with his application for 2013 and get a deferal. But Duke wants him to apply to the class of 2014.

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm

julesm2200 wrote:It seems more like a form where he swears hell go if accepted off the waitlist, not an entirely new application.



I'm just going by the way that the OP framed it.

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby holborn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm

I doubt Duke would offer this if they knew it violated all other law school's policies about seat deposits/withdrawing other applications/etc. Maybe OP should call Duke and ask?

night06
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby night06 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:39 pm

julesm2200 wrote:It seems more like a form where he swears hell go if accepted off the waitlist, not an entirely new application.


This is correct.

The email states: "you may convert your current application to a binding Early Decision application for 2011 by submitting this form"

Then it provides a link to the certification form. All you have to do is sign it. You don't actually fill out a new application.

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 pm

sumus romani wrote:Yes, it is a new application for the class of 2014. He is on the waitlist for the class of 2013. These are two different applications. Am I missing something here? I have tried to advise the OP to stick with his application for 2013 and get a deferal. But Duke wants him to apply to the class of 2014.


Its not a new application. You literally fill out a form that was sent in the email (or linked to in the email) and Duke makes a decision with your current application by mid-July. Assuming you get accepted, it is basically a forced binding deferral.
Last edited by RhubarbPie on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 pm

julesm2200 wrote:I doubt Duke would offer this if they knew it violated all other law school's policies about seat deposits/withdrawing other applications/etc. Maybe OP should call Duke and ask?



I'm not suggesting that Duke knows that this violates all other law schools' policies. But I do think that, given the way that the OP described the process, he needs to look very carefully at the wording of the deposit form for WU. For example, some schools allow double-depositing, and some don't. It is just case-by-case with this sort of stuff.

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby sumus romani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 pm

RhubarbPie wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Yes, it is a new application for the class of 2014. He is on the waitlist for the class of 2013. These are two different applications. Am I missing something here? I have tried to advise the OP to stick with his application for 2013 and get a deferal. But Duke wants him to apply to the class of 2014.


Its not a new application. You literally fill out a form that was sent in the email (or linked to in the email) and Duke makes a decision with your current application by mid-July. Assuming you get accepted, it is basically a forced binding deferral.



I stand corrected.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby miamiman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 pm

I got this email too. I do not believe it was a guarantee by any means.

ConLawLover
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby ConLawLover » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Both are pretty lame schools. Retake and apply to HYS, where the real men go

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby jks289 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Call WUSTL. Ask. They will say Yes or No. They aren't going to revoke your acceptance. Then make your decision based on actual facts. Good luck.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:04 pm

Whether it's a WL->Acceptance w/ deferral or ED application for next year's class is primarily a semantic issue. When you defer an acceptance at Duke you agree not to apply to any other schools in the next cycle and guarantee matriculation the following year. Obviously, I'm sure some exceptions apply to the "guaranteed matriculation" stipulation, but I doubt any of those would end up with one enrolling at a different law school the next fall. I think it's Duke's prerogative to offer acceptances in this manner, just how Northwestern will do the same to straight from UG candidates with strong applications.

User avatar
caleng
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby caleng » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:50 pm

I got the same email and the impression I got was that if you get in, you have to go to Duke in 2011, if you don't get in, go to whatever school you were already planning on attending this year. I agree with sumus romani, Duke knows the standard acceptance policies.

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: HELP!!! Duke Law 2011 or WUSTL 2010??

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:57 pm

How much is your WUSTL scholarship? Would no amount change your mind? I'd personally take WUSTL full ride over Duke sticker, but that's just me.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: echonov and 3 guests