No Jobs for You

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NoJob

No Jobs for You

Postby NoJob » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:45 pm

If you want any chance at a job, avoid anything below a T50. An obvious exception to this would be if you got a free ride.

I have been a lawyer for three years. I have to say that graduates of lower-tiered schools are sub par in abilities to say the least. They can't write a decent brief to save their lives nor do they have the ability to spot issues. Forget about research skills. My firm, in MI, won't touch a Cooley or U of D grad. In fact, we think that schools like Cooley are bringing down the profession. How good can a school be that invents its own rating system? Think about it.

What is more troubling is the debt you will incur. You can wind up six figures in the hole without the prospect of any legal employment. A lot of people I know are working at places like WalMart or temping or going into the military. These are very bright people from very good schools. There are too many of us, and the jobs just don't exist. You are also overqualified for most jobs, and I know of some people who have to take law school off their resume to get work.

Reconsider your decision to attend. Going to law school could be the worst thing that ever happened to you. I have no reason to lie to you unlike an admissions officer.

manbearwig

Re: No Jobs for You

Postby manbearwig » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:48 pm

NoJob wrote:If you want any chance at a job, avoid anything below a T50. An obvious exception to this would be if you got a free ride.

I have been a lawyer for three years. I have to say that graduates of lower-tiered schools are sub par in abilities to say the least. They can't write a decent brief to save their lives nor do they have the ability to spot issues. Forget about research skills. My firm, in MI, won't touch a Cooley or U of D grad. In fact, we think that schools like Cooley are bringing down the profession. How good can a school be that invents its own rating system? Think about it.

What is more troubling is the debt you will incur. You can wind up six figures in the hole without the prospect of any legal employment. A lot of people I know are working at places like WalMart or temping or going into the military. These are very bright people from very good schools. There are too many of us, and the jobs just don't exist. You are also overqualified for most jobs, and I know of some people who have to take law school off their resume to get work.

Reconsider your decision to attend. Going to law school could be the worst thing that ever happened to you. I have no reason to lie to you unlike an admissions officer.

What?! OMG, thanks so much for telling me. Totally re-planning my life now.

AR75

Postby AR75 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:50 pm

NoJob wrote:If you want any chance at a job, avoid anything below a T50. An obvious exception to this would be if you got a free ride.

Sorry life dealt you the hand of being a moron. Best wishes with your handicap.

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:51 pm

manbearwig wrote:

Why listen to someone who has been there done that? I'm sure that as an 0L straight out of undergrad with no legal experience, you know better.

AR75

Postby AR75 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:53 pm

You upset that he dissed your one-post alt? :roll:

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:56 pm

AR75 wrote:

Sorry life dealt you the hand of being a moron. Best wishes with your handicap.

No dumbs*t, I have a job. Read the post. Since it appears your reading comprehension skills are lacking, you should avoid the law. But then again, you can be one of those retard lawyers I get sanctions from. As a matter of fact, I strongly encourage this person to attend.

I am trying to keep people like you from making a big mistake. I have seen far too many good people suffer.
Last edited by NoJob on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 am

MTal wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

Why listen to someone who has been there done that? I'm sure that as an 0L straight out of undergrad with no legal experience, you know better.

I'm really hoping you just assumed that about me and didn't look up previous posts or anything cause that'd be really fucking creepy.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:42 am

MTal wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

I sincerely hope that you did not mean this to be a serious response.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:45 am

manbearwig wrote:

You've been warned 0L. Let's see what you have to say in three years.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:46 am

NoJob wrote:You've been warned 0L. Let's see what you have to say in three years.

--ImageRemoved--

bass08

Postby bass08 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:49 am

Poor attempt at flame.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:57 am

bass08 wrote:Poor attempt at flame.

+2 (1 for the content, another 1 for the awesome 'tar.)

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:59 am

NoJob wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

You've been warned 0L. Let's see what you have to say in three years.

Lol. Good thing I'm the "obvious exception." :P

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:04 am

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 am

NoJob wrote: My firm, in MI

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 am

wait...if i dont go to a T50 school i wont get a job unless i get a full ride, then i will get a job...makes sense

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:19 am

Obvious flame, there is no work in michigan

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:22 am

I don't know, I thought the title was kind of funny. The short, to-the-point-ness of it--or something. Maybe I've had too much too drink tonight though.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsdXmYGFBcU&feature=related

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:35 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

I don't know, I thought the title was kind of funny. The short, to-the-point-ness of it--or something. Maybe I've had too much too drink tonight though.

I just thought of

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:47 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:

I just thought of

Hahahah. Yes. Just yes.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:54 am

If our unemployment rates remain as high as they are for the next 3.5-4 years, there will be far worse things at hand than the lack of legal jobs. I'm hoping for either A) a job or B) anarchy a la Snow Crash so I won't have to pay my loans back.

Unless my provider is bought out by CosaNostra pizza.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:07 am

Avoid schools below T50? What about all these dudes and dudettes I know who hail from the likes of Loyola and USD and have jobs? Are you telling me that there's no way they could've gotten those positions in tax law and trusts/estates?

I call bull on your claim to having a practice. Any half-informed 0L knows that schools outside T14 are with few exceptions strictly regional. I'll believe you live in some shitty hole in the hellish icelands of Detroit where crime rates have fallen as a result of there being "Not enough people left to kill" according to the police and the mayor.

But a real partner? You should've at least chosen a different account name and increased your post count.

Seriously, get a life.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:12 am

manbearwig wrote:
MTal wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

I'm really hoping you just assumed that about me and didn't look up previous posts or anything cause that'd be really fucking creepy.

Don't take MTal too seriously.

Check out his post history and you'll find he's just like the nurses my pre-med friend tells me about who troll med school forums. They're the ones who're bitter they couldn't make it into a med school with their piss-poor GPAs and MCAT scores, so they've become self-appointed guardians of every pre-med's wellbeing. Only problem is their intentions are so easy to pick apart and it's pretty apparent they're sick as fuck of cleaning up the shit and piss of hospital patients and answering to real doctors.

Watch. He'll claim he has a "more satisfying job" even though he spends an inordinate amount of time on TLS trolling. Ask him why he dropped out of law school after barely passing his second semester. Makes you wonder whether he's qualified to be handing out advice.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:41 am

TBF, anyone who wants to get into law school can. Getting into a school that is outside the tier 1 is essentially the same as those who don't get into med school at all.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”