FIU Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
osmlpz

New

FIU Law

Post by osmlpz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello, I was wondering if FIU's law school is really as bad as the rankings show them to be. I live in Miami, literally 5 minutes away from FIU and in the community, the law school seems to be flourishing and slowly growing. Although, for the reason that I live in Miami, it is obvious some bias will be shown to local schools. I've heard extremely negative comments regarding FIU outside of the community. Also, UM has a heavy price tag as compared to FIU,FSU or UF. Am I better off going to law school out of Miami? UF or FSU? Any input regarding Florida law schools is appreciated.

Thanks!!

merichard87

Silver

Re: FIU Law

Post by merichard87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm

That depends on you. Do you have connections that would give you a good shot at a job in Miami or South FL in general? The only way I would take FIU is if I had a binding contract guaranteeing me a job. But I wouldnt pay sticker at UM either.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:19 pm

I am transferring from FIU. I would consider staying if I intended to practice in South Florida. I know people who are working in BIGlaw during their 1L summer. I really have no problem with the school other than its reach is only within South Florida. PM me with any specific questions.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:34 pm

I am an approaching 1L at FIU and work in a mid size firm now as a file clerk. The general consensus from the attorneys there is that FIU is a great school and if their GPA was good, they would not look at them any different than UM or UF. It is not a trash school built around profit compared to other TTT in South Florida

osmlpz

New

Post by osmlpz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Well my main intent was to stay in South Florida, but concern regarding FIU's job placement raised. This really is my main concern. A few discussions and articles on this forum said many of FIU,St. Thomas and Florida Gulf Coast law graduates have difficulty obtaining jobs after graduation. It was said UF,FSU and UM graduates obtain the majority of the jobs in South Florida. Is this information accurate?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm

osmlpz wrote:Well my main intent was to stay in South Florida, but concern regarding FIU's job placement raised. This really is my main concern. A few discussions and articles on this forum said many of FIU,St. Thomas and Florida Gulf Coast law graduates have difficulty obtaining jobs after graduation. It was said UF,FSU and UM graduates obtain the majority of the jobs in South Florida. Is this information accurate?
in this economy EVERY school is having difficulty placing after graduation...clearly UF and UM have an upperhand over FIU in Miami because their alumni networks are so well established...if you can get into UF, go there....personally, the price difference at UM is not worth whatever value the alumni network offers...I got into UM and never regretted spending my 1L year at FIU

osmlpz

New

Post by osmlpz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:00 pm

flhealth wrote:
osmlpz wrote:Well my main intent was to stay in South Florida, but concern regarding FIU's job placement raised. This really is my main concern. A few discussions and articles on this forum said many of FIU,St. Thomas and Florida Gulf Coast law graduates have difficulty obtaining jobs after graduation. It was said UF,FSU and UM graduates obtain the majority of the jobs in South Florida. Is this information accurate?
in this economy EVERY school is having difficulty placing after graduation...clearly UF and UM have an upperhand over FIU in Miami because their alumni networks are so well established...if you can get into UF, go there....personally, the price difference at UM is not worth whatever value the alumni network offers...I got into UM and never regretted spending my 1L year at FIU
Yeah the price tag at UM is not very appealing. Where did you transfer to? And in what area of law are you planning to concentrate? I've heard FIU has a respectable criminal law program?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:01 pm

osmlpz wrote:
flhealth wrote:
Yeah the price tag at UM is not very appealing. Where did you transfer to? And in what area of law are you planning to concentrate? I've heard FIU has a respectable criminal law program?
Also interested. I'd be interested in practicing in South FL and I've seen that FIU has a "Judicial Externship Clinic" that gives you credit for being a clerk for a judge(Sounds a lot like a judicial clerkship, right?). Does this hold any water when compared with UM or UF? I understand it isn't a Federal Clerkship gig and chances are those are out of the question.. but to somebody that's looking to work at the county-level, it seems pretty good given the ~36k price of FIU.

osmlpz

New

Post by osmlpz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:29 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
osmlpz wrote:
flhealth wrote:
Also interested. I'd be interested in practicing in South FL and I've seen that FIU has a "Judicial Externship Clinic" that gives you credit for being a clerk for a judge(Sounds a lot like a judicial clerkship, right?). Does this hold any water when compared with UM or UF? I understand it isn't a Federal Clerkship gig and chances are those are out of the question.. but to somebody that's looking to work at the county-level, it seems pretty good given the ~36k price of FIU.
36k? I think that's a little high for out of state tuition. I believe out of state tuition is somewhere around the 25k area. In state tuition is at about 11k

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:55 pm

osmlpz wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
osmlpz wrote:
flhealth wrote: in this economy EVERY school is having difficulty placing after graduation...clearly UF and UM have an upperhand over FIU in Miami because their alumni networks are so well established...if you can get into UF, go there....personally, the price difference at UM is not worth whatever value the alumni network offers...I got into UM and never regretted spending my 1L year at FIU
36k? I think that's a little high for out of state tuition. I believe out of state tuition is somewhere around the 25k area. In state tuition is at about 11k
I was adding up 12k over 3 years, hence 36k for the degree. I'd be going to Costal for that much! Pffft. (I kid, I kid :shock:) UM would definitely be in line with ~120k though :P

osmlpz

New

Post by osmlpz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Lmao @ FGC. I live literally 3 minutes away from FIU, have you visited the school?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Yep, I've been to the campus and passed by, what I believe to be the school's building(The Diaz-Ballart building, I think?).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”