Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Loyola($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Loyola
4
9%
UCLA
43
91%
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
ModestExplosion
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby ModestExplosion » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 pm

So I really want to practice in L.A., possibly in entertainment law. What is my better choice- Loyola with money or UCLA sticker. I really don't see myself leaving L.A. once I get there so being able to leave the region is really not an important factor to me.

Any info on either of the schools from current or former students would be much appreciated! :)

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:28 pm

I would take UCLA over Loyola, especially if the $$$ at Loyola comes with GPA/Rank stipulations.

User avatar
tallboone
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 12:27 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby tallboone » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:30 pm

There is a reason LMU offers $$$ to people who can get into UCLA at sticker, and that is because most people are willing to pay sticker at UCLA. If you are sure you want to be in LA, just bite the tuition bullet/grenade and attend UCLA.

User avatar
ModestExplosion
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby ModestExplosion » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks to the people who have posted so far. I notice a couple of people have voted for Loyola. Any specific reason why?

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm

They both suck, inflate grades, and have no integrity. If you want to be a behind the scenes whore, go to UCLA. If you want to be in front of the news cameras whore, go to Loyola.

User avatar
World B. Free
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby World B. Free » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:They both suck, inflate grades, and have no integrity. If you want to be a behind the scenes whore, go to UCLA. If you want to be in front of the news cameras whore, go to Loyola.

---FAIL----

User avatar
World B. Free
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby World B. Free » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I picked UCLA.

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:22 pm

World B. Free wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:They both suck, inflate grades, and have no integrity. If you want to be a behind the scenes whore, go to UCLA. If you want to be in front of the news cameras whore, go to Loyola.

---FAIL----


Is that not correct? Does UCLA inflate grades or not?

User avatar
World B. Free
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby World B. Free » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:25 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
World B. Free wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:They both suck, inflate grades, and have no integrity. If you want to be a behind the scenes whore, go to UCLA. If you want to be in front of the news cameras whore, go to Loyola.

---FAIL----


Is that not correct? Does UCLA inflate grades or not?

The guy said he wants to practice in LA and you go off and say that "they both suck?" Who gives a crap about grade inflation. UCLA will be a perfect choice for him because he wants to practice in LA. Is that not correct?

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:27 pm

So they inflate grades, which means they lack integrity, which means they both such. Thank you for proving me point.

User avatar
World B. Free
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby World B. Free » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:So they inflate grades, which means they lack integrity, which means they both such. Thank you for proving me point.

Huh? Your point was not proven. I said who cares about grade inflation, NOT that I agree with your statement. Your wrong. It's OK if you don't like either school, but for the OP you're dead wrong. They both don't "such."
Changing the subject though -- I like the way you were able to twist up your logic in such a convincing way to state a strong statement. You probably are (or will be) a good lawyer one day! :wink:

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:45 pm

World B. Free wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:So they inflate grades, which means they lack integrity, which means they both such. Thank you for proving me point.

Huh? Your point was not proven. I said who cares about grade inflation, NOT that I agree with your statement. Your wrong. It's OK if you don't like either school, but for the OP you're dead wrong. They both don't "such."
Changing the subject though -- I like the way you were able to twist up your logic in such a convincing way to state a strong statement. You probably are (or will be) a good lawyer one day! :wink:


Thank you, and for the record, I originally planned on applying ED to UCLA, but the grade inflation issue is a real turn off for me. Even Harvard and USC are out for me. Not that I can get in there; maybe I can, maybe I can't, but I won't be applying. Yes, this issue means that much to me.

User avatar
World B. Free
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby World B. Free » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
World B. Free wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:So they inflate grades, which means they lack integrity, which means they both such. Thank you for proving me point.

Huh? Your point was not proven. I said who cares about grade inflation, NOT that I agree with your statement. Your wrong. It's OK if you don't like either school, but for the OP you're dead wrong. They both don't "such."
Changing the subject though -- I like the way you were able to twist up your logic in such a convincing way to state a strong statement. You probably are (or will be) a good lawyer one day! :wink:


Thank you, and for the record, I originally planned on applying ED to UCLA, but the grade inflation issue is a real turn off for me. Even Harvard and USC are out for me. Not that I can get in there; maybe I can, maybe I can't, but I won't be applying. Yes, this issue means that much to me.

Not to totally derail the post, but you should look into U Minn. --- they have a great IP program

User avatar
dogmatic slumber
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby dogmatic slumber » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:52 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:for the record, I originally planned on applying ED to UCLA, but the grade inflation issue is a real turn off for me. Even Harvard and USC are out for me. Not that I can get in there; maybe I can, maybe I can't, but I won't be applying. Yes, this issue means that much to me.


Nice. Keepin' it real.

OP, there was a post recently about LA-area V50 firm placement by school that you might find interesting. Note: I didn't think too hard about the methodology employed because it told me what I wanted to hear (i.e. something good about USC).

User avatar
ModestExplosion
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby ModestExplosion » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:03 pm

dogmatic slumber wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:for the record, I originally planned on applying ED to UCLA, but the grade inflation issue is a real turn off for me. Even Harvard and USC are out for me. Not that I can get in there; maybe I can, maybe I can't, but I won't be applying. Yes, this issue means that much to me.


Nice. Keepin' it real.

OP, there was a post recently about LA-area V50 firm placement by school that you might find interesting. Note: I didn't think too hard about the methodology employed because it told me what I wanted to hear (i.e. something good about USC).


Thanks that was really helpful and put things into perspective for me.

User avatar
ModestExplosion
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby ModestExplosion » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 pm

NoleinNY wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

I just finished the June LSAT and got a 167. My GPA is 3.8 so I'm thinking I may have a shot at UCLA but will probably have to pay sticker. I should be eligible for a pretty decent amount of money at Loyola though and am just pondering which school would be my best bet if I plan on living in L.A. Also does anyone think I should retake? I was scoring in the lower 170's range on my P-Tests but got screwed by one of the RC sections (just couldn't focus on the topic presented) on test day. Thanks for all the advice thus far.

User avatar
ModestExplosion
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby ModestExplosion » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:15 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:So they inflate grades, which means they lack integrity, which means they both such. Thank you for proving me point.

I really could care less about that to be honest. I love L.A. and planned on living there way before I wanted to go to law school. I just want to go to a school where I can live in L.A. during my schooling and work in L.A. after schooling.

User avatar
waldodanto
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby waldodanto » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm at UCLA and turned down an 81k scholarship at loyola for a small scholarship at UCLA, and from what I know about the LA scene I think it's going to depend a lot on your career aims if you are picking between the two. I know some incredibly bright people at Loyola and some gigantic pricks at UCLA, but from what I hear the reputation of UCLA amongst the more elite firms is substantially greater than that of Loyola (and USC, but that's for a different thread). Loyola does have an extremely strong presence in government work around here. Entertainment law is about hustling no matter where you go, but UCLA is well known for their program and has a journal as well, whereas Loyola only has a journal. I'm pretty sure if you want entertainment, UCLA is going to be the better bet to crack into it. Just my opinion.

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:23 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
World B. Free wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:So they inflate grades, which means they lack integrity, which means they both such. Thank you for proving me point.

Huh? Your point was not proven. I said who cares about grade inflation, NOT that I agree with your statement. Your wrong. It's OK if you don't like either school, but for the OP you're dead wrong. They both don't "such."
Changing the subject though -- I like the way you were able to twist up your logic in such a convincing way to state a strong statement. You probably are (or will be) a good lawyer one day! :wink:


Thank you, and for the record, I originally planned on applying ED to UCLA, but the grade inflation issue is a real turn off for me. Even Harvard and USC are out for me. Not that I can get in there; maybe I can, maybe I can't, but I won't be applying. Yes, this issue means that much to me.


I love how you ignore the fact that "grades" are just subjective measures applied by professors/schools to compare students in the first place. Any person using across the board GPAs to compare students at different schools is an idiot anyway.

But uh, keep making smart decisions based upon ludicrous criterion.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby A'nold » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:26 pm

Uh, you do realize that people around here hate when people post hypothetical "choose a law school" threads when you don't have even an acceptance at either school, right?

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:30 pm

Ahh. Well, in that case if you get into UCLA, I'd take it. LSP and LSN has you pegged as a near shoe-in for USC if you aren't opposed to going Trojan for philosophical (read: football) reasons. If LSN is any indication, you won't get a full ride with those numbers from LLS. After 84k with stipulations is the highest they'll go all but the crazy higher stat people.

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:
World B. Free wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:So they inflate grades, which means they lack integrity, which means they both such. Thank you for proving me point.

Huh? Your point was not proven. I said who cares about grade inflation, NOT that I agree with your statement. Your wrong. It's OK if you don't like either school, but for the OP you're dead wrong. They both don't "such."
Changing the subject though -- I like the way you were able to twist up your logic in such a convincing way to state a strong statement. You probably are (or will be) a good lawyer one day! :wink:


Thank you, and for the record, I originally planned on applying ED to UCLA, but the grade inflation issue is a real turn off for me. Even Harvard and USC are out for me. Not that I can get in there; maybe I can, maybe I can't, but I won't be applying. Yes, this issue means that much to me.


I love how you ignore the fact that "grades" are just subjective measures applied by professors/schools to compare students in the first place. Any person using across the board GPAs to compare students at different schools is an idiot anyway.

But uh, keep making smart decisions based upon ludicrous criterion.


WTF R U talking about?

whynot555
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby whynot555 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:07 am

ucla
ucla
ucla

User avatar
SHARK WEEK!
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: Loyola Marymount ($$$) or UCLA (sticker)

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:18 am

UCLA




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AprilLau, splitterfromhell, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest