Where should I look

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ZachOda

Where should I look

Postby ZachOda » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Hey everyone,

Just got my LSAT score back and I can actually give an accurate profile now. I am going to be a senior (psych major) at a respected private institution in the Northeast, with a 3.67 UGPA and a 166 LSAT. I am an MA resident, but would really be interested in moving towards the mid-Atlantic or Southeast, but am open to most places, as long as it's urban. The one thing that I need to keep in mind is cost, one parent has been out of work for almost a year now, and though I've worked 2 jobs at school and at home, I really am in no position to take on another 100K plus in debt. Right now, I am looking hard at Texas, Vanderbilt, UGA, UNC, Wake Forest, Ohio State, Arizona State, UWashington (not WUSTL), Duke, USC, Washington & Lee, Illinois, and Emory. I also just got emails from Seton Hall, UCincinnati, and URichmond offering fee waivers. So my questions are:
1. what are my chances at my targets
2. where else should I be looking that I have missed
3. should I take a serious look at Seton Hall, Richmond, or Cincinnati, considering I would be eligible for considerable scholarships based on my scores

Thank you for your help

merichard87

Re: Where should I look

Postby merichard87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 pm

What kind of work are you looking for? If you don't want biglaw I would apply to a regionally heavy school that will give you a significant scholarship. i.e. not Cinci or Seton Hall.

How much are your loans from UG?

ZachOda

Re: Where should I look

Postby ZachOda » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:44 pm

Well I'm still really new on the whole law thing, I spent all of my UG planning on going to get my Ph.D in psych but I had a change of heart. Right now I'm interested in starting in the DA's office and then maybe moving on to a private firm for personal injury or family law... Still not sure what route I want to take. All I know is that I am hesitant to join corporate law, which is what biglaw is involved with from what I understand on the boards. I want to help people, not push numbers or write up contracts. And right now my UG debt is around $45K

Return to “Choosing a Law School”