162 3.6 Mex URM

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jhare

162 3.6 Mex URM

Postby jhare » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 am

I have decent softs and a very underpriviliged background. Help me decide where to apply...
Goals: don't care where I live, want ADA or small to midlaw, I have a family to take care of so decent COL would be great.

Help me pick reaches/targets/safeties

Thanks!

DustyfootPhilospher

Re: 162 3.6 Mex URM

Postby DustyfootPhilospher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:19 am

162lsat+ 3.6GPA+Mexican + disadvantaged background =Good Money! I would blanket the T14 for your stretch schools, you will likely get into at least a couple but at sticker price. But factoring in your preference for Mid-Law and your family obligations I would say a T14 isn't necessary, just go to a respectable T20~s that will give you the biggest scholarship.
With your family you should also factor in the cost of living. Also if your wife is going to be working you should find an area that has a decent job market. Emory in ATL is has a low COL and is a large market. I hear they are tight w/ scholarships but I'm sure you should get something. UT Austin would proably be an ideal place but getting a scholarship there would be very tough. Indian U-Bloomington, Wash U, and William & Mary all have a low COL and are likely to give you a big scholarship. Scoring in the 160~s as a URM should land you comfortably in a mid 20 s school with substantial scholarship if you have a GPA of 3.5 or up. Although I find it hard to believe that you have no preference of where you want to live.

jhare

Re: 162 3.6 Mex URM

Postby jhare » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for the reply. Actually the only preference I have is getting the heck out of CA before it falls off the map. Lol

Return to “Choosing a Law School”