Temple or Notre Dame?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
StevenGersten

Temple or Notre Dame?

Postby StevenGersten » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

I scored a 167 on my only LSAT and have a 3.7 GPA.
I received a full merit scholarship to Temple early on and have just been admitted off of the waitlist at Notre Dame with no financial aid.

Which school should I attend?

nahgems

Re: Temple or Notre Dame?

Postby nahgems » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:49 pm

I'd pick Temple, but really it is your choice.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Depends if you have alternate sources of revenue to curb the debt from going to Notre Dame. In my honest opinion. Notre Dame isn't worth sticker debt in this economy. Do it to it at Temple.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:36 pm

We are number twins. : ) I chose full ride at Temple over a bunch of T30 (some sticker, some partial scholarships) because I want to stay in Philly. I don't know much about Notre Dame, but I'd be wary in general at paying sticker for a non T14, especially if you're not completely sold on the region.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Depends on where you want to practice, but I personally wouldn't go to any law school at sticker, with the exception of YHS.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 pm

TEMPLE

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:05 pm

StevenGersten wrote:I scored a 167 on my only LSAT and have a 3.7 GPA.
I received a full merit scholarship to Temple early on and have just been admitted off of the waitlist at Notre Dame with no financial aid.

Which school should I attend?

Just curious, when were you admitted off the waitlist at ND? Did you have a phone interview? How did they notify you?

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm

If you're open to working in Philly for a while go to Temple.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Sticker at ND is moronic. Go Temple.

txhorn

Postby txhorn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Did you apply late? I don't see how these would be your only choices with those #s. I would wait another cycle

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:51 am

like the above posters said, if your fine working in philly then temple, if you wanna work anywhere else then ND, personally i would recommend ND, much better career prospects

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:44 am

Going off pure reason, you should wait a year. Even if you can't bump your LSAT, there's no reason those stats should have left you with sticker at ND. I assume you applied very late? If you apply again next year--and esp. if you can retake the LSAT--you'll get $$ from most T25ish schools.

You also might make it into a lower T13, but you still probably wouldn't land much scholarship money and I think it'd be a very poor investment.

If you're dead set on LS, Temple is the better option here, provided that there are no draconian scholarship stipulations (e.g., top 1/3rd for continuation).

DustyfootPhilospher

Postby DustyfootPhilospher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:39 am

I agree with flcath. With your numbers you should certainly have received at least some financial help from ND or another T25 school. You also might have a shot at a T14 if you wait until next year and apply very early. A T14 is only kind of school I would even consider paying sticker.
Where do you want to practice and in what area of law? Temple is very regional but it does quite well in Philly, especially in Litigation. They gave me a scholarship so I visited the campus and spoke with several students. All agreed that the school does actually place quite well within the city. The neighbouring legal behemoth U Penn typically sends its grads to NY or D.C. while most Temple grads stay local so that reduces competition.
I would say reapply next year early, write a killer essay and get a scholarship at a top 25 or try to break into the T14. If you are set on going this year def go with Temple over ND at sticker, that’s an awesome scholarship.

AJRESQ

Postby AJRESQ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:22 am

Temple. I graduated from there a few years ago and I'm glad I went there.

Market is decent in Philadelphia, and if you can't find something in Philly, you can go practice in the suburbs. Even if you lose your scholarship, it's still pretty cheap if you're in state. Of course, I'm assuming you want to practice in the Philadelphia area. I'm from Philadelphia, own a house here, and I have no desire to be anywhere else. We had a lot of grads go BIGLAW, Philly DA, and all kinds of other places. I can't think of anyone from Temple who is doing terribly.

That said, I have no idea how the job market in Indiana is. Even if it's great, I'm not sure it's worth paying sticker price, though. If you're heart set on practicing in Indiana, go to ND. If you're more preferable to the east coast, Temple is a good situation.

Simpler Times

Postby Simpler Times » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:54 am

ND is a sinking ship. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=123174

Temple probably offers comparable career prospects to ND without ND's cultural baggage or the need to live in the terrible wasteland that is Indiana.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 am

I'd say Temple. But with the stipulation that you don't mind staying in Philly for a while. Temple grads seem to get great employment in Philly, but, don't seem to leave. I'm not sure if that is a self-selecting thing or not. My final decision came down to temple and another school, and I decided against Temple because very few grads wound up in DC. Still, I loved the school. The people and professors seemed genuinely friendly - and I had no problem envisioning myself there. Plus, full ride... I mean, that's A LOT of money that you are saving.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”