Midwest Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Midwest Schools

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:28 pm

angiej wrote: Is it common for URMS to be judged less by both LSAT and GPA than to be admitted based on either LSAT or GPA being above the median? I suppose there is no cut and dry rhyme or reason.
I'd imagine having one number above would help quite a bit, since it mitigates the hit they take on the other number. But I don't know nearly as much about URM cycles, nor do I want to go down that road since the OP is not a URM. He may get a little help if he writes a good DS, but he won't get anywhere near the bump that URMs will get.

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 pm

OP- I would say you definetly have a chance at UW-Madison and the U of Iowa. My numbers were somewhat similar to yours I had a 3.99 GPA along with a 154 and a 158. Additionally, I had some pretty stellar soft factors. Ultimately I was admitted to Iowa 4 weeks after I applied and I applied in January. I was also admitted to Wisconsin off of the waitlist.

I would say your biggest limitation will be your GPA. I think I was only accepted to the two schools because of my GPA and my softs. If I am not mistaken I think your GPA is below median for both Iowa and Wisconsin. However, I could be completely wrong about the GPA thing so you still may have a good shot. If you apply to both schools early and really express your interest in attending UW you may have a fighting chance. I actually ended up touring UW twice and wrote 2 LOCIs to really make my point. Also I think being a WI resident helps considering it seems like they try to have at least 60% of the class made up of residents.

Either way best of luck to you! If you have any questions for me feel free to PM me.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Isn't Wisconsin's median LSAT like a 161? Correct me if I'm wrong... too lazy to look it up.

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:19 pm

I think for 2009 the median LSAT was a 162, however, I have a feeling for 2010 it will be closer to 164. I know that their median for GPA is right around OPs GPA (3.6ish) for 2009 anyway.

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:22 pm

lol actually in regards to my first post OPs biggest problem is not GPA but the low LSAT, obviously. I was just trying to evaluate OPs chances while comparing OPs numbers to mine. But ya both GPA and LSAT below median will def be difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:27 pm

OP likely has a weak chance at Wisconsin, though the 25% lsat of 156 suggests that there is a significant portion of the student body that has something equal to or even less than the op in this respect. Still, without a high gpa to compensate for the lsat, acceptance is unlikely.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:35 pm

pocket herc wrote:OP likely has a weak chance at Wisconsin, though the 25% lsat of 156 suggests that there is a significant portion of the student body that has something equal to or even less than the op in this respect. Still, without a high gpa to compensate for the lsat, acceptance is unlikely.
No no no. Non URM with no incredibly significant softs and well below median = auto-ding

His odds at Wisconsin are probably <5%

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 pm

yeah, don't disagree with you really in the end.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 pm

have you looked into reciprocity for in-state tuition? i know unl and uminn offer it for certain states, but i'm not sure which. it may be worth checking into (esp for unl, because you could probably get in there and they're dirt cheap).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:47 pm

I think lawschoolpredictor.com is crap and Wisconsin's 25%ile is misleading. If you look at LSN, people are getting dinged almost uniformly with number even above OP's. This is the exact same situation with IU Bloomington.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:46 pm

jayn3 wrote:have you looked into reciprocity for in-state tuition? i know unl and uminn offer it for certain states, but i'm not sure which. it may be worth checking into (esp for unl, because you could probably get in there and they're dirt cheap).
UMinn is tougher to get in to than Wisc or Iowa...I've never heard of reciprocity with Nebraska...plus then you probably have to work/live in Nebraska after graduating and that really sucks.

No school is going to accept someone w/ both numbers below median unless they are URM or EXTREMELY compelling (and apply early in the cycle).

To be honest, OP, it doesn't really look like those numbers are going to get you into a T1. If that is your goal, I think you need to retake your LSAT or else settle for a strong, very regional T2 school and hope for some money.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:47 am

You have a chance at Iowa, who is a little more holistic than most schools (but not much more). A 159/3.4 non-URM was admitted this cycle, but three 161/3.5 applicants were waitlisted.

http://iowa.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/?whichCycle=0910

Loyola Chicago might be an option for you, and is a pretty well respected school in the City of Chicago.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:31 pm

OP - In addition to Loyola, I would also consider applying to Depaul and Chicago Kent. Also, have you thought about IU Indy? Your at their 75% for lsat and its a really fantastic school, though you will likely be practicing in the Indianapolis area. Do you know where you ultimatley want to practice law?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:27 pm

I think lawschoolpredictor.com is crap and Wisconsin's 25%ile is misleading. If you look at LSN, people are getting dinged almost uniformly with number even above OP's. This is the exact same situation with IU Bloomington.
I think for 2009 the [Wisconsin] median LSAT was a 162, however, I have a feeling for 2010 it will be closer to 164. I know that their median for GPA is right around OPs GPA (3.6ish) for 2009 anyway.
IUB and Wisconsin are most likely taking advantage of the bad economy to push hard for solid T25 ranks.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:52 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
I think for 2009 the [Wisconsin] median LSAT was a 162, however, I have a feeling for 2010 it will be closer to 164. I know that their median for GPA is right around OPs GPA (3.6ish) for 2009 anyway.
IUB and Wisconsin are most likely taking advantage of the bad economy to push hard for solid T25 ranks.
Pure speculation and unsubstantiated.

All schools are trying to take advantage of the seemingly most competitive year in a while, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a rise in averages across the board (though I admit this is speculation as well)

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:58 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:

The reason why the OP has a chance is that Wisconsin really doesn't care about the rankings. The school is really very holistic in admissions, and having an interesting soft will help you quite a bit here. That said, not having an interesting soft, you really need a score near 75% to feel safe. Being a Wisconsin resident can count towards this, but you have to apply early in the year before the school has acquired its quota.

I have a friend that got into next years class at Wisconsin with worse scores than the OP and a year at a nonprofit. He got dinged when he first applied (late) and just made a point of applying super early the next time around.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”