(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Englander742

Re: Yale or IU Bloomington? Do I have other options?

Postby Englander742 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:02 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Random side note. You prefer *New Haven* over *Boston*? :shock: You are the first person I've ever known to have that preference. Have you visited New Haven?! (or Boston?)
New Haven >>> Boston.

How so? Also, Boston should be replaced with Cambridge. Ehh dunno, the crime rates in New Haven are a little too high for my taste, plus a variety of other issues. I took a course last semester that used New Haven as a case study of a city that has experienced major decline.

I believe New Haven has much lower crime rates than Boston, and they have been dropping recently. I just like the feel better. Boston is excellent for vacations or visiting friends or relatives, but I do not see myself living there. I believe "To each his own" is applicable here.

Though I am not exactly a world traveler, I have been to between 20 and 30 states, which is enough to get outside of Indiana. Of course I would like to go to many more and certainly don't consider that number to be particularly high.

nealric wrote:
Wow, I ask for advice, get some incredible help from people, and then I get useless responses. I'm talking about options not like I'm a sure shot to Yale.

It is a useful response- it's just a useful response that you don't want to hear. My point is that this not a profitable discussion to be having at this juncture.

Feel free to sit around discussing whether you should buy a Ferrari or a Bugatti after winning the lottery, but don't expect people to take you seriously when you ask for advice about it.

Perhaps I did not articulate myself well. My intention was to say that for my circumstances, IU-B and Yale are schools which it would work well for me to go to. Obviously, if I were so sure I would get in to Yale I wouldn't have made the thread or ever listed or considered IU-B, I would have applied only to Yale and attended. Because I do not know if I can get in at Yale, I added IU-B. I was asking if there are other schools that would be good options given my circumstances. I have learned in this thread that there are. In addition, I was not asking for any advice regarding Yale, I have decided if I get in I will go, otherwise, I will go elsewhere. Therefore, people telling me I have low chances of being accepted at Yale are telling me what I already know. Therefore, the post was useless.

And this discussion was profitable to me, and I believe I am the best judge of that. I now have a more robust list of schools to visit and think about. In addition, I have expanded my definition of "useless" to include your posts. Vocabulary ftw.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:02 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Random side note. You prefer *New Haven* over *Boston*? :shock: You are the first person I've ever known to have that preference. Have you visited New Haven?! (or Boston?)
New Haven >>> Boston.

How so? Also, Boston should be replaced with Cambridge. Ehh dunno, the crime rates in New Haven are a little too high for my taste, plus a variety of other issues. I took a course last semester that used New Haven as a case study of a city that has experienced major decline.
I'm biased because I lived in New Haven for four years and loved it, while I've visited Boston/Cambridge only ~10 times over the last few years. New Haven's got respectable nightlife and world-class cultural events, attracts a lot of diverse and interesting people, is relatively cheap, and is quite safe as long as you don't hang out in crack dens and/or walk around alone at 3 a.m. with cash hanging out of your pockets. Also it's got the best pizza ever. If you think of New Haven as a drawback to going to Yale, your information is out of date.

Boston is just a mess to drive in, it's a good deal colder, and it has super-annoying sports fans.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:09 pm

In addition, I have expanded my definition of "useless" to include your posts. Vocabulary ftw.

--ImageRemoved--

You should try reading some of my other posts before coming to that conclusion. I'm only snarky 83% of the time!

Postby 094320 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Englander742

Postby Englander742 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:12 pm

nealric wrote:
In addition, I have expanded my definition of "useless" to include your posts. Vocabulary ftw.

You should try reading some of my other posts before coming to that conclusion. I'm only snarky 83% of the time!

I need to apologize for my comment, it was completely unnecessary. I only intended to be funny, but I think it went farther than that, so I'm sorry.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Englander742 wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:You're overthinking this too much. The only state natives that are reputed to have real issues explaining going to a more prestigious out-of-state school and then wanting to return home are Texans. I have a hard time imagining that anyone's going to begrudge you for going to Chicago or Michigan.

Your real issue is your family situation. Sort out what's the cart and what's the horse there.

I put a strong emphasis on family. I know how to be the head of a household, and I'd like to think I know how to love. No law school or education is as important as a marriage. EVER.

Okay then, you and your wife need to work out where she can work while you go to school - and IF she can work in a city where you would be going to school (i.e. is there a job opening for her there...). Figure that out after you know where you can go to school.

Englander742

Postby Englander742 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:52 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
Englander742 wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:You're overthinking this too much. The only state natives that are reputed to have real issues explaining going to a more prestigious out-of-state school and then wanting to return home are Texans. I have a hard time imagining that anyone's going to begrudge you for going to Chicago or Michigan.

Your real issue is your family situation. Sort out what's the cart and what's the horse there.

I put a strong emphasis on family. I know how to be the head of a household, and I'd like to think I know how to love. No law school or education is as important as a marriage. EVER.

Okay then, you and your wife need to work out where she can work while you go to school - and IF she can work in a city where you would be going to school (i.e. is there a job opening for her there...). Figure that out after you know where you can go to school.

She will be a nurse, so we're counting on her finding a job wherever I go to school. I know it can be more difficult in some places than others, but she's graduating from a strong program and will have pre-grad experience.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Englander742 wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
Englander742 wrote:

She will be a nurse, so we're counting on her finding a job wherever I go to school. I know it can be more difficult in some places than others, but she's graduating from a strong program and will have pre-grad experience.

She'll be fine, nursing is one of the few things these days where it is not hard to get a job.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:56 pm

Englander742 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
New Haven >>> Boston.

I believe New Haven has much lower crime rates than Boston, and they have been dropping recently. I just like the feel better. Boston is excellent for vacations or visiting friends or relatives, but I do not see myself living there. I believe "To each his own" is applicable here.

For the record, this just isn't true. Cambridge is very safe, and all the relevant parts of Boston are also very safe. Crime is something to consider about New Haven, while it isn't for Cambridge/Boston (since Roxbury/Dorchester/Southie are all very removed from anywhere you'd be). It's okay to prefer New Haven for other reasons, but beware of making decisions on a roundly false comparison. For example, the average murder rate for the past five years in New Haven is about double that of Boston.

Postby 094320 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 am

Last edited by 094320 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:45 am

If you are really limiting yourself to IUB and Yale, then enjoy Bloomington.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:28 am

acrossthelake wrote:[stats]
All well and good, but the point remains that most of that crime (especially violent crime) happens so far from the Yale bubble that it might as well be in a different city. If something does happen on or near campus, it's probably a 2 a.m. mugging by kids on bikes, and you'll get a prompt e-mail from the campus police chief with details and safety tips. I'm sure it's the same drill in Cambridge. In either city, if you're reasonable about safety, you'll be fine.

If, however, you sign up for the School of Management's Stringer Bell Memorial Crack-Dealing Certificate program, all bets are off.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:46 am

Desert Fox wrote:But Nealic is right as he usually is. PTs don't mean shit. You may only get a 165 and be forced in IUB anyway.

I'd say correctly administered PTs should be within a few points of your actual. Granted....most people seem to cheat on PTs. I got an LSAT well below my PT average, but retaking and being more disciplined about doing the real deal the same way I did PTs fixed that (I just went too fast on test day).

To the OP: why not try asking some firms or judges in Indiana (preferably after you've gained admission to some good schools).

Edit:

Also, for federal clerkships Indiana is in the seventh circuit, and it looks like Chicago has been pretty dominant for appellate clerkships there (--LinkRemoved--).

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 am

Reedie wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:But Nealic is right as he usually is. PTs don't mean shit. You may only get a 165 and be forced in IUB anyway.

I'd say correctly administered PTs should be within a few points of your actual. Granted....most people seem to cheat on PTs. I got an LSAT well below my PT average, but retaking and being more disciplined about doing the real deal the same way I did PTs fixed that (I just went too fast on test day).

To the OP: why not try asking some firms or judges in Indiana (preferably after you've gained admission to some good schools).

I think nerves are a big factor for a lot of people, especially the people that study their way to the top. I found PT's to be a very accurate.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”