Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is paying sticker at MVPB stupid?

Yes.
33
12%
No.
150
56%
This question is stupid.
83
31%
 
Total votes: 266

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby danidancer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:19 pm

<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.

Voyager
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:25 pm

danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.


yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby clintonius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Are you a long-term scamblog troll?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Voyager wrote:
danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.


yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.


Telling people to be electricians right now isn't a good plan. The construction sector the economy is pwnd worse than law at the moment.

Voyager
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Voyager wrote:
danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.


yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.


Telling people to be electricians right now isn't a good plan. The construction sector the economy is pwnd worse than law at the moment.


I don't think there are very many professions that are pwned worse than lawyers right now for all of the reasons listed above.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Core » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:36 pm

We should just become plumbers.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Voyager wrote:
danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.


yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.

lol

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby clintonius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Voyager wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Voyager wrote:
danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.
yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.
Telling people to be electricians right now isn't a good plan. The construction sector the economy is pwnd worse than law at the moment.
I don't think there are very many professions that are pwned worse than lawyers right now for all of the reasons listed above.

Evasion: a lawyerly technique.

User avatar
Kurama
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Kurama » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Voyager wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Voyager wrote:
danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.


yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.


Telling people to be electricians right now isn't a good plan. The construction sector the economy is pwnd worse than law at the moment.


I don't think there are very many professions that are pwned worse than lawyers right now for all of the reasons listed above.


You must be joking....practically every realistically attainable profession has been decimated in this economy (outside of medicine and the funeral home business). Financial services and automobile related fields are two that come to mind.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby danidancer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Voyager wrote:
danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.


yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.


1) I'm a girl, not a guy. 2) Depression and alcoholism ARE cool.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Voyager wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Law is one of the great American protected industries and, like all such industries, is running into and causing serious problems because of it. There are too many lawyers. Way way way too many. 90,000 new lawyers graduate EVERY YEAR. It is absurd.



Last I checked, that number is 45,000, for ~30,000 new lawyer jobs each year (maybe less ITE). However that doesn't alter the veracity of your statement.

The good thing is that the legal profession is self-sustaining. It creates its own demand. You may think they're parasites, but so what.

The prospects are definitely better than academia which seems to be the other option for someone with a BA in English.


Oh for sure. PhD in English or history is shit. Truly awful experience while you are doing it and shitty jobs afterwards.

And the legal profession is no longer self sustaining. There is not enough food left for the parasites. Host death.


I don't know, every time someone gets sued or has legal trouble, their lawyer is their best friend (the host is only too happy to have the parasite around). More/better paying shitlaw jobs=more biglaw jobs for the rest of us. We just have to write the laws such that it maximizes the instances in which people can get sued or get into legal trouble (=more complicated and longer).

Voyager
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Kurama wrote:[

You must be joking....practically every realistically attainable profession has been decimated in this economy (outside of medicine and the funeral home business). Financial services and automobile related fields are two that come to mind.


other industries are starting to pick up much faster than the legal field. And I think when you add in the huge debt for a law degree and the ridiculous glut of attorneys that the legal field is in a special land of fucked.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby rayiner » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Voyager's numbers are wrong.

ze2151
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby ze2151 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:29 pm

Voyager wrote:
ze2151 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
ze2151 wrote:check yourself with that nursing argument. my wife is a nurse. when she graduated (2008) all but 1 nurse in her class had a job lined up. the very next year, 50% of the class didn't have jobs at graduation. just because hospitals have nursing shortages doesn't mean they're hiring nurses. you need experience to get a job right now.


that sucks. Of course, I'd still think going to nursing school is much much better than going to 190 of the 200 American law schools.


luckily my wife has an amazing job, not unlike the ones you described earlier. it sucks for people who went into it thinking there'd definitely be jobs waiting for them when they finished (sound familiar?). But if they do a little legwork and lower their expectations a little, maybe move to an underserved area or back home, they can get jobs.


sure. of course, 2 years of nursing school is substantially cheaper than law school. Also, the hours are HALF and the pay is very similar.

So I hear you, but I still think being a nurse is a better deal... except for the poo.



i'm not even talking about 2 year nursing program people who get their RN. My wife is a BSN, and so are her friends that had such trouble. And remember, nurses get paid hourly and are routinely understaffed. During tough times of year, she'll work somewhere like 60 hours a week. Anyway /thread derail about nursing.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby rayiner » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:40 pm

This thread is stupid. Sure below median at T7-14 is not getting biglaw anymore but the jobs they can get are still better than what they could do with their BA in Dead Languages. Yeah debt sucks, so do PI for 10 years and get it forgiven. Yeah you won't ever make models and bottles money, but if you're good you can make something (my dad makes $250k at an NGO). And if you're not then you'll have to content yourself with mediocrity, which again I'd better than what you could do otherwise.

djgoldbe
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby djgoldbe » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Voyager wrote:
danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.


yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.


I understand that you have a job that you (ostensibly) are happy with, but I cannot help but feel that your vitriolic hatred of the legal profession is related to your recommendation not to attend law school - not just a simple reading of the economic viability. If you hate being a lawyer, don't be one. There are people who do enjoy it though. (And are not alcoholics or depressed).

Voyager
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:31 pm

djgoldbe wrote:
Voyager wrote:
danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.


yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.


I understand that you have a job that you (ostensibly) are happy with, but I cannot help but feel that your vitriolic hatred of the legal profession is related to your recommendation not to attend law school - not just a simple reading of the economic viability. If you hate being a lawyer, don't be one. There are people who do enjoy it though. (And are not alcoholics or depressed).


heh. you think what I wrote was "vitriolic"? Most lawyers hate their work and are unhappy. Depression, alcoholism and divorce are hallmarks of the profession. There are many articles/studies on the subject.

Look, I'm just pointing out that law school is currently a bad deal. When my class applied in 2006 it looked pretty sweet due to the sure bet of making a huge pay check. That sure bet seems to have gone away.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Pure speculation

Voyager = that guy with great grades at a top school that came to interviews with snot on his sleeves and without taking a shower. Then went on to say things like "umm you know being a lawyer means making money right? Then I can finally get a girlfriend." and "I think master chief is one of my greatest inspirations, he was able to overcome all odds.". And then wonders why people with way worse grades than him got good jobs.

djgoldbe
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby djgoldbe » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Voyager wrote:
heh. you think what I wrote was "vitriolic"? Most lawyers hate their work and are unhappy. Depression, alcoholism and divorce are hallmarks of the profession. There are many articles/studies on the subject.

Look, I'm just pointing out that law school is currently a bad deal. When my class applied in 2006 it looked pretty sweet due to the sure bet of making a huge pay check. That sure bet seems to have gone away.



Except that isn't 'just' what you are saying. If all you said was that law school is a bad deal, I don't think many would disagree. When you say that its a profession that is parasitic and without social value and that lawyers are miserable and unhappy people, thats quite another.

pocket herc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby pocket herc » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Voyager, what happened to you man? I was just reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=117187 and you were damn near inspiring in it. But now you are a gloomy bastard, even though you might be right

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:38 pm

I hope not but in my paranoia I am networking like a motherfucker and planning to gun my ass off.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:41 pm

pocket herc wrote:Voyager, what happened to you man? I was just reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=117187 and you were damn near inspiring in it. But now you are a gloomy bastard, even though you might be right
... Mistaken identity?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby rayiner » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Veyron wrote:I hope not but in my paranoia I am networking like a motherfucker and planning to gun my ass off.


Networking is good.

Re: gunning, lot's of people gun and still get bad grades.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:43 pm

this, like all "is paying sticker at xxxxxx dumb" threads, is completely dependent upon relative options.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:44 pm

rayiner wrote:
Veyron wrote:I hope not but in my paranoia I am networking like a motherfucker and planning to gun my ass off.


Networking is good.

Re: gunning, lot's of people gun and still get bad grades.


Sure, but I'm approaching the job serach with a sense of having a gun to my head, I'll do everything that can't hurt and MIGHT help.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lsa16 and 1 guest