Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is paying sticker at MVPB stupid?

Yes.
12%
No.
56%
This question is stupid.
31%

Total votes: 266

rockstar4488

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby rockstar4488 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:28 am

Borrow borrow borrow. With IBR, the conventional wisdom is dead. Hell, even with a full scholarship, borrow more, make use of the capital.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:34 am

rockstar4488 wrote:Borrow borrow borrow. With IBR, the conventional wisdom is dead. Hell, even with a full scholarship, borrow more, make use of the capital.

:?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:09 pm

My sister chose sticker at DNC over $$ at USC/Emory and $$$$ at Temple. She does't regret it since she got a market job in NYC, but she does think the debt hurts a bit. However, she started school before the bubble burst and everyone was getting jobs; if she had been applying now, she probably would have been more encouraged to take the guaranteed full ride or one of the T20's w/$$.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:13 pm

keg411 wrote:My sister chose sticker at DNC over $$ at USC/Emory and $$$$ at Temple. She does't regret it since she got a market job in NYC, but she does think the debt hurts a bit. However, she started school before the bubble burst and everyone was getting jobs; if she had been applying now, she probably would have been more encouraged to take the guaranteed full ride or one of the T20's w/$$.

It depends on your alternatives. T7-14 still give you a plausible shot at biglaw. If you're one of the engineer/consultant/finance types, no scholarship money is worth forgoing that shot, unless all you really just want to be is a lawyer.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:31 pm

keg411 wrote:My sister chose sticker at DNC over $$ at USC/Emory and $$$$ at Temple. She does't regret it since she got a market job in NYC, but she does think the debt hurts a bit. However, she started school before the bubble burst and everyone was getting jobs; if she had been applying now, she probably would have been more encouraged to take the guaranteed full ride or one of the T20's w/$$.

I think the economy makes taking the money at a t20 a worse choice IMO. Even with half scholarship you still have a fuck load of debt, and really poor shot at big law.

I'm not going to law school to do shitlaw.

Kurama

Postby Kurama » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Because MVP is that much better than DN? :|

I'm sorry, I'll clarify. I think DN is acceptable at sticker. CGV is really questionable. Beyond that, no.

I guess when I saw T10-T20 I was thinking more about the latter schools. But I'd say I would pay sticker for T12.

I respect the opinion, but would argue that it's still debatable in that range, which is why I threw the question out there.

Paying sticker for Duke is just as stupid as UVA. The placement difference is negligible.

This reasoning doubly applies for NYU as compared to UVA, Michigan,Penn and Boalt. Which is why I really don't get this thing about the "Top 6" and being worth sticker.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:49 pm

Kurama wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
I respect the opinion, but would argue that it's still debatable in that range, which is why I threw the question out there.

Paying sticker for Duke is just as stupid as UVA. The placement difference is negligible.

This reasoning doubly applies for NYU as compared to UVA, Michigan,Penn and Boalt. Which is why I really don't get this thing about the "Top 6" and being worth sticker.

This year NYU put 70% of its students into SA jobs from OCI. I bet MVP were 50% at best. Rumors are Boalt is even lower.

Kurama

Postby Kurama » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Kurama wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
daesonesb wrote:

This year NYU put 70% of its students into SA jobs from OCI. I bet MVP were 50% at best. Rumors are Boalt is even lower.

70 percent of NYU would be happy working in the easiest biglaw market to break into (in addition this is basically just conjecture, especially when you look at the most recent NLJ250 numbers and see where NYU landed--numbers that are definite) whereas at a school like Boalt 70 percent of the class is aiming for one of the most difficult markets in the country (California and more specifically northern California). In the case of UVA by and large most students are aiming for DC--a much tougher market to break into than NYC. If you're talking about landing a job somewhere other than NYC NYU students are in the same boat as the ones at Michigan etc.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Kurama wrote:
70 percent of NYU would be happy working in the easiest biglaw market to break into (in addition this is basically just conjecture, especially when you look at the most recent NLJ250 numbers and see where NYU landed--numbers that are definite) whereas at a school like Boalt 70 percent of the class is aiming for one of the most difficult markets in the country (California and more specifically northern California). In the case of UVA by and large most students are aiming for DC--a much tougher market to break into than NYC. If you're talking about landing a job somewhere other than NYC NYU students are in the same boat as the ones at Michigan etc.

The latest NLJ250 numbers were skewed by no offers. NYC firms savaged the class of 2009 with no offers. That's why Northwestern took first place. It places more into Chicago than NYC.

Of course NYU places so well because it's in NYC, but that's part of what makes it a better school. If Boalt and UVA students could get into NYC, but not DC or CA, they'd do it. NYC firms hire deeper in NYU's class than they will at Boalt or UVA.

If you'd rather work shit law in CA than Big law in NYC, yea Boalt is better than NYC, but doing so is retarded.

Kurama

Postby Kurama » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Kurama wrote:

The latest NLJ250 numbers were skewed by no offers. NYC firms savaged the class of 2009 with no offers. That's why Northwestern took first place. It places more into Chicago than NYC.

Of course NYU places so well because it's in NYC, but that's part of what makes it a better school. If Boalt and UVA students could get into NYC, but not DC or CA, they'd do it. NYC firms hire deeper in NYU's class than they will at Boalt or UVA.

If you'd rather work shit law in CA than Big law in NYC, yea Boalt is better than NYC, but doing so is retarded.

Only out placing MVBP in one market, NYU's home market and the easiest one to break into at that, doesn't make it a stronger school placement wise (part of the reason that logic flies on here is because of the huge NYC bias on TLS, if you really do not want to work in NYC then NYU's advantage isn't going to do you any good. I think a lot of people on here have a hard time understanding that some people actually don't want to work or live there). NYC firms go deeper into NYU's class than they do at MVBP, but firms in DC, Cali, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta etc. do not.

Out placing MVBP outside of their home markets and placing at least as well as MVBP in their home markets would mean better placement--which describes HYS and CC.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Kurama wrote:\
Only out placing MVBP in one market, NYU's home market and the easiest one to break into at that, doesn't make it a stronger school placement wise (part of the reason that logic flies on here is because of the huge NYC bias on TLS, if you really do not want to work in NYC then NYU's advantage isn't going to do you any good. I think a lot of people on here have a hard time understanding that some people actually don't want to work or live there). NYC firms go deeper into NYU's class than they do at MVBP, but firms in DC, Cali, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta etc. do not.

Out placing MVBP outside of their home markets and placing at least as well as MVBP in their home markets would mean better placement--which describes HYS and CC.

Actually it does end up making it a better placing school. If you don't want NYC then NYU isn't better than MVPB for you, but that is for you.

Kurama

Postby Kurama » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Actually it does end up making it a better placing school. If you don't want NYC then NYU isn't better than MVPB for you, but that is for you.

Not according to the nlj250 or when you look across the most selective firms nationwide. Also people act like the number of people who don't desire to work/live in NYC is small or insignificant---that's a pretty large number of people ( if not most).

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Kurama wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Not according to the nlj250 or when you look across the most selective firms nationwide. Also people act like the number of people who don't desire to work/live in NYC is small or insignificant---that's a pretty large number of people ( if not most).

You're just racist against New Yorkers.

Kurama

Postby Kurama » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You're just racist against New Yorkers.

Actually I think NYC is awesome; it's just that it's cramped as hell and to live the way that you could on a big law salary in other cities requires something like a 800K+ salary.....

I don't like how hard it is to drive there either---no space to stunt in my big law earned Audi R8 like I could in Cali or Atlanta. :lol:
Last edited by Kurama on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Kurama wrote:

Actually I think NYC is awesome; it's just that it's cramped as hell and to live the way that you could on a big law salary in other cities requires something like a 800K+ salary.....

Next you are going to tell me, you've got plenty of new yorker friends.

Kurama

Postby Kurama » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Kurama wrote:

Next you are going to tell me, you've got plenty of new yorker friends.

None of them are natives so I can't technically say that.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Wh
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:21 pm

daesonesb wrote:What about McGeorge or Thomas Jefferson School of Law? I mean... those are good schools too right? I think I'd take them with $$ over UCLA.

MCGEORGE DOMINATES

drake

Postby drake » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:02 pm

whats michigan's "home" market? i always thought they placed most of their students to NY. so doesnt that make NYU better for placement in NY than Michigan?

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:29 pm

drake wrote:whats michigan's "home" market? i always thought they placed most of their students to NY. so doesnt that make NYU better for placement in NY than Michigan?

And isn't Penn's "home" market NYC as well, or is it Philly?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:31 pm

MPB, YES. V, NO.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Kohinoor wrote:MPB, YES. V, NO.

Lulz.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:36 pm

YHSCCV.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Veyron wrote:

Lulz.

To be fair man, I reached that conclusion after hours of detached, unbiased research and introspection. The math is sound.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:36 pm

rayiner wrote:

YHSCCV.

YHSCVC

Return to “Choosing a Law School”