Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is paying sticker at MVPB stupid?

Yes.
12%
No.
56%
This question is stupid.
31%

Total votes: 266

howcani111

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Postby howcani111 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:51 pm

pocket herc wrote:Voyager, what happened to you man? I was just reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=117187 and you were damn near inspiring in it. But now you are a gloomy bastard, even though you might be right

hahahahaha
seriously? what happened voyager?

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:57 pm

howcani111 wrote:
pocket herc wrote:Voyager, what happened to you man? I was just reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=117187 and you were damn near inspiring in it. But now you are a gloomy bastard, even though you might be right

hahahahaha

lol. fair guys, fair.

Of course, THAT thread was about figuring out options and to point out that one CAN be creative and make shit happen if one is aggressive. That when things don't work out the way you expect you need to adjust, adapt and overcome. That throwing in the towel just makes things worse. That activity is a great form of therapy for the stress.

In this thread I am trying to get people to avoid being in that position to begin with.

Hey, look: I don't mean to upset or kill anyone's dream. If you got into a T-10 law school you are clearly a very bright person with a great future. But maybe there are alternatives that don't cost as much and that provide better opportunities? Heh, not becoming an electrician... but say, business school.

I don't know... having just got back from speaking with one jobless friend... let me just say that NONE of you want to be in that position.

As for this:

Except that isn't 'just' what you are saying. If all you said was that law school is a bad deal, I don't think many would disagree. When you say that its a profession that is parasitic and without social value and that lawyers are miserable and unhappy people, thats quite another.

Ok, also fair. In part. I mean, I shouldn't try to intentionally offend people. That said, lawyers ARE miserable: "A 1990 study at Johns Hopkins University found that of 28 occupations studied, lawyers were the most likely to suffer depression, and were more than 3.6 times more likely than average to do so."

Read more: --LinkRemoved--
Last edited by Voyager on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Adjust, adapt, and overcome??? Are you quoting Timothy McVeigh?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Voyager wrote:
howcani111 wrote:

hahahahaha

lol. fair guys, fair.

Of course, THAT thread was about figuring out options and to point out that one CAN be creative and make shit happen if one is aggressive. That when things don't work out the way you expect you need to adjust, adapt and overcome. That throwing in the towel just makes things worse. That activity is a great form of therapy for the stress.

In this thread I am trying to get people to avoid being in that position to begin with.

Hey, look: I don't mean to upset or kill anyone's dream. If you got into a T-10 law school you are clearly a very bright person with a great future. But maybe there are alternatives that don't cost as much and that provide better opportunities? Heh, not becoming an electrician... but say, business school.

I don't know... having just got back from speaking with one jobless friend... let me just say that NONE of you want to be in that position.

Hey, I'm a big "look at the worst case senario" type of guy but sometimes you've just got to chase the dream.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:03 pm

ze2151 wrote:Adjust, adapt, and overcome??? Are you quoting Timothy McVeigh?

No. I am quoting my Marine Corps instructors.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Voyager wrote:
ze2151 wrote:Adjust, adapt, and overcome??? Are you quoting Timothy McVeigh?

No. I am quoting my Marine Corps instructors.

Didn't McVeigh rip it off from the marines in the first place?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:08 pm

No offense Voyager, but your alternatives to law school are becoming an electrician and business school? You really think a bunch of liberal arts kids have any business being an electrician? And you really think business school is a wise investment? Cause, umm... no.

There are certainly safer ways of going about making money, and there are certainly merits to the anti-law school argument. But telling a bunch of poly sci and philosophy majors to go to trade school or business school do not qualify as realistic or viable alternatives.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:09 pm

yes, he did. purposeful flame on my part (family in the military)

Kurama

Postby Kurama » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:20 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Pure speculation

Voyager = that guy with great grades at a top school that came to interviews with snot on his sleeves and without taking a shower. Then went on to say things like "umm you know being a lawyer means making money right? Then I can finally get a girlfriend." and "I think master chief is one of my greatest inspirations, he was able to overcome all odds.". And then wonders why people with way worse grades than him got good jobs.

LOL. To be fair this describes 90 percent of the people on here who constantly use terms like "0L" and are "famous" with 7000+ posts.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:No offense Voyager, but your alternatives to law school are becoming an electrician and business school? You really think a bunch of liberal arts kids have any business being an electrician? And you really think business school is a wise investment? Cause, umm... no.

There are certainly safer ways of going about making money, and there are certainly merits to the anti-law school argument. But telling a bunch of poly sci and philosophy majors to go to trade school or business school do not qualify as realistic or viable alternatives.

plumbing school?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:31 pm

Seriously money-making alternative career even ITE: pest control in Florida.
Fun fact learned from the family reunion I went to today :).

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:10 am

Kurama wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Pure speculation

Voyager = that guy with great grades at a top school that came to interviews with snot on his sleeves and without taking a shower. Then went on to say things like "umm you know being a lawyer means making money right? Then I can finally get a girlfriend." and "I think master chief is one of my greatest inspirations, he was able to overcome all odds.". And then wonders why people with way worse grades than him got good jobs.

LOL. To be fair this describes 90 percent of the people on here who constantly use terms like "0L" and are "famous" with 7000+ posts.

Heh. I guess the obligatory baseless ad hominem attack was bound to come my way in this thread at some point. Thanks for that.

If you want to learn a bit more about me feel free to click on the link someone posted above. Heck, you may even learn something.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:11 am

This thread is making feel even more anxiety about starting Cornell in the fall at sticker.

Oh well, what's the worst that happens? I get $250,000 in debt and spend the next 25 years homeless and picking trash out of a garbage can under a bridge!

Edit: I know I posted something like this yesterday in this thread, but as this thread gets longer and longer it's not helping any.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:18 am

AdamatUCF wrote:This thread is making feel even more anxiety about starting Cornell in the fall at sticker.

Oh well, what's the worst that happens? I get $250,000 in debt and spend the next 25 years homeless and picking trash out of a garbage can under a bridge!

Edit: I know I posted something like this yesterday in this thread, but as this thread gets longer and longer it's not helping any.

Ok ok ok. Look: you're all young people and you have a bunch of years to figure life out. Even if the worst happens you'll have your top-10 degree and, with some creativity, you can make something out of that. It's a long life. I, for example, am about to start my 5th career. So far I have been a Marine, a business manager, a salesman and a real estate gambler. I made lots of money and I made very little money.

So, even if disaster strikes and you graduate with no job, you WILL figure it out.

Just trying to remind people about the very real risks involved.

I do find it hilarious that people (Patriot) on TLS have such thin skins about the job situation and the ranking of their schools. Really amazing. Has always been this way. Can't have a frank discussion about it without insults and hurt feelings.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:57 am

according to lsn, the following percentages of students are receiving any grant. It is worth realizing that most of these are receiving amounts which are almost negligible in the context of $200k
Boalt Hall- 71.1%
Penn- 35%
Michigan- 58.5%
Virginia- 60.8%
NU- 32.9%
Duke- 71.1%
Cornell- 41.7%
George Washington- 41%

As you can see, plenty of people are paying sticker and many more are paying close to it. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:00 am

I think the more helpful question would be:

Is sticker worth it at T10-T20?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:20 am

daesonesb wrote:I think the more helpful question would be:

Survey says: No.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:48 am

romothesavior wrote:

Because MVP is that much better than DN? :|

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:51 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I'm sorry, I'll clarify. I think DN is acceptable at sticker. CGV is really questionable. Beyond that, no.

I guess when I saw T10-T20 I was thinking more about the latter schools. But I'd say I would pay sticker for T12.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:55 am

romothesavior wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I'm sorry, I'll clarify. I think DN is acceptable at sticker. CGV is really questionable. Beyond that, no.

I guess when I saw T10-T20 I was thinking more about the latter schools. But I'd say I would pay sticker for T12.

God damnit >:O

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I respect the opinion, but would argue that it's still debatable in that range, which is why I threw the question out there.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:04 am

daesonesb wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Because MVP is that much better than DN? :|

I respect the opinion, but would argue that it's still debatable in that range, which is why I threw the question out there.

Paying sticker for Duke is just as stupid as UVA. The placement difference is negligible.

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 am

Voyager wrote:
AdamatUCF wrote:This thread is making feel even more anxiety about starting Cornell in the fall at sticker.

Ok ok ok. Look: you're all young people and you have a bunch of years to figure life out. Even if the worst happens you'll have your top-10 degree and, with some creativity, you can make something out of that. It's a long life. I, for example, am about to start my 5th career. So far I have been a Marine, a business manager, a salesman and a real estate gambler. I made lots of money and I made very little money.

So, even if disaster strikes and you graduate with no job, you WILL figure it out.

Just trying to remind people about the very real risks involved.

I do find it hilarious that people (Patriot) on TLS have such thin skins about the job situation and the ranking of their schools. Really amazing. Has always been this way. Can't have a frank discussion about it without insults and hurt feelings.

Voyager is right. I admire how he's actually making a point. You need to understand what your getting yourself INTO. What the success is/probability wise and be ready to face the downfall in case it doesn't work VERY well.

rklafehn

Postby rklafehn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:10 am

T-14 and Vanderbilt are OK at sticker IMO. However, I think if I get into low T-14 (e.g. Cornell) and get money from Vanderbilt and/or BU, I will be going with the money. Only a T-10 school could make me pay sticker in that situation.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:16 am

For those who think that paying sticker at a T-10 is stupid, how much $ would it take to make it a good idea in your eyes and why?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”