Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is paying sticker at MVPB stupid?

Yes.
13%
No.
56%
This question is stupid.
31%

Total votes: 268

Diamond

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:39 pm

This cycles UVA trolls were much less impressive.

rklafehn

Bronze

Post by rklafehn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:41 pm

I would pay sticker for UPenn and up.

I would take money at Vanderbilt / BU over no money from Cornell or GULC.

Just my opinion...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:This cycles UVA trolls were much less impressive.
We took a hit when 90% of them were waitlisted indefinitely.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This cycles UVA trolls were much less impressive.
We took a hit when 90% of them were waitlisted indefinitely.
Hahaha.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Core wrote:
drake wrote:whats michigan's "home" market? i always thought they placed most of their students to NY. so doesnt that make NYU better for placement in NY than Michigan?
And isn't Penn's "home" market NYC as well, or is it Philly?
I'd say Penn's "home" market is Philly and Michigan's is Chicago. But "home" market is based on distance, not necessarily placement, at least in terms of the national schools. I'd probably say most of the T14 have the heaviest placement in NYC except for Berkeley (though I don't have the exact numbers in front of me).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:44 pm

keg411 wrote:
Core wrote:
drake wrote:whats michigan's "home" market? i always thought they placed most of their students to NY. so doesnt that make NYU better for placement in NY than Michigan?
I'd say Penn's "home" market is Philly and Michigan's is Chicago. But "home" market is based on distance, not necessarily placement, at least in terms of the national schools. I'd probably say most of the T14 have the heaviest placement in NYC except for Berkeley (though I don't have the exact numbers in front of me).
Stttanford?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Veyron wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Core wrote:
Stttanford?
I was thinking more of CCNMVPBDCNG and only in terms of BigLaw.
YHS are a different animal.

Or I just forgot about Stanford when I typed this... :oops:

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:58 pm

keg411 wrote:
Core wrote:
Correct - NYC is the largest market for Columbia, NYU, Michigan, Penn, Duke, and Cornell. Not so for Chicago (35% Midwest, 19% NYC), UVA (29% DC, 27% NYC), Berkeley (72% West, 11% NYC), NU (50% Midwest, 30% East), and GULC (42% DC, 28% NYC).

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:57 am

Got this quote from another thread:
If you went to the OCIP meetings/presentations, career services said that 30% of 1Ls got a job at OCIP last year. They said to expect about 40-45% of the class getting a job at OCIP this year. In other words, it is not looking good for someone with mostly Ps, since you are probably in the bottom 1/3 of your class.
Holy crap. So only the top 40% of the class AT BEST has a shot at a good salary? Look, I am sorry, but the price of law school (tuition+lost income for 3 years+stress) is NOT justified by those odds. If you miss that boat you will be either unemployed or making something in the $50k range. You could make that starting out in retail management.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:33 am

im_blue wrote:Correct - NYC is the largest market for Columbia, NYU, Michigan, Penn, Duke, and Cornell. Not so for Chicago (35% Midwest, 19% NYC), UVA (29% DC, 27% NYC), Berkeley (72% West, 11% NYC), NU (50% Midwest, 30% East), and GULC (42% DC, 28% NYC).
Look at that balance! Like a well diversified portfolio!

/UVA trolling to impress DF

Kurama

New

Post by Kurama » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:56 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
im_blue wrote:Correct - NYC is the largest market for Columbia, NYU, Michigan, Penn, Duke, and Cornell. Not so for Chicago (35% Midwest, 19% NYC), UVA (29% DC, 27% NYC), Berkeley (72% West, 11% NYC), NU (50% Midwest, 30% East), and GULC (42% DC, 28% NYC).

How does GULC get away with that split and still come out with their employment numbers? If they are sending 42 percent of their biglaw people to the most selective market in the nation and only 11 to the least selective one, when you put things into perspective their employment numbers aren't all that bad. If there students would aim for NYC with the frequency of schools like NYU, Penn, and Cornell their numbers might look a decent bit better.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Voyager wrote:Got this quote from another thread:
If you went to the OCIP meetings/presentations, career services said that 30% of 1Ls got a job at OCIP last year. They said to expect about 40-45% of the class getting a job at OCIP this year. In other words, it is not looking good for someone with mostly Ps, since you are probably in the bottom 1/3 of your class.
Holy crap. So only the top 40% of the class AT BEST has a shot at a good salary? Look, I am sorry, but the price of law school (tuition+lost income for 3 years+stress) is NOT justified by those odds. If you miss that boat you will be either unemployed or making something in the $50k range. You could make that starting out in retail management.
This is 1L OCIP. Not 2L. Hows your reading comp? Its already been established that many 1L's do not get good jobs. 2L is what matters.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
This is 1L OCIP. Not 2L. Hows your reading comp? Its already been established that many 1L's do not get good jobs. 2L is what matters.

Look, read the entire thread. Here it is: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&start=25

The conversation is about rising 2Ls worrying about the upcoming OCI for summer jobs for the summer of 2011... which is why they are posting in June and not in January.

Also comments about "below-median getting V100" in the past cannot be referring to jobs for 1L summer. Or the comment on the first page where the commenter is discussing last year's grades and worrying about where to bid.

If this was for 1L summer jobs... well... there would not be a thread right now.

Also, this comment: "It was my understanding that at schools in the Boalt range, 50% of students or so got SAs last year." That is referring to 2L summer positions. That poster is told that "Boalt placed, on average, around 55% into biglaw during the boom years of 2005/2006. There's no way it's placing the same amount now."

Who even cares about 1L OCI? Your 1L summer job means nothing. RISING 2Ls stressing in June about OCI is not about worrying for next year's 1L's interview prospects for January OCI.

Read the thread, calm down and cool the juvenile aggression.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Voyager wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Look, read the entire thread. Here it is: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&start=25

The conversation is about rising 2Ls worrying about the upcoming OCI for summer jobs for the summer of 2011... which is why they are posting in June and not in January.

Also comments about "below-median getting V100" in the past cannot be referring to jobs for 1L summer. Or the comment on the first page where the commenter is discussing last year's grades and worrying about where to bid.

If this was for 1L summer jobs... well... there would not be a thread right now.

Also, this comment: "It was my understanding that at schools in the Boalt range, 50% of students or so got SAs last year." That is referring to 2L summer positions. That poster is told that "Boalt placed, on average, around 55% into biglaw during the boom years of 2005/2006. There's no way it's placing the same amount now."

Who even cares about 1L OCI? Your 1L summer job means nothing. RISING 2Ls stressing in June about OCI is not about worrying for next year's 1L's interview prospects for January OCI.

Read the thread, calm down and cool the juvenile aggression.
Not to split hairs, but I'm pretty sure Boalt killed those numbers in 05-06.

olanderp

New

Post by olanderp » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:14 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
:?: There is no such thing as 1L OCIP/OGI/OCI.

That conversation pertains to last year's 2L OCI at Boalt. In other words, Boalt placed 30% last year at 2L OCI. This year, they are predicting 40%. On TLS, people worry about 2L placement, not 1L placement, because it actually matters.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:13 pm

That is a rough scene. Good luck to all involved. Imagine being in the 55th percentile: there you are, top half of one of the top law schools in the country and forced to take a salary upon graduation that you could have earned as an assistant manager of a big box retail store.

And you can't really pursue California DA positions because the state economy is hosed AND those offices require you to already be admitted to the bar.

How difficult is it to get a state clerkship out of Boalt? (I'm assuming that 55th percentile and below is not going to be competitive for a Federal clerkship).

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:07 am

Kurama wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

How does GULC get away with that split and still come out with their employment numbers? If they are sending 42 percent of their biglaw people to the most selective market in the nation and only 11 to the least selective one, when you put things into perspective their employment numbers aren't all that bad. If there students would aim for NYC with the frequency of schools like NYU, Penn, and Cornell their numbers might look a decent bit better.
These are total employment percentages, not biglaw. For all we know, 10-20% out of that 42% is doing doc review in DC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:32 pm

If your family is rich and is willing to pay for your school (or other similar situation), no. If not, then it's not the smartest thing to do ITE.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:35 am

I'm paying sticker because I really want a prestigious public interest job in DC, so I'm banking on a) the school helping me get to that point and b) LRAP/IBR.

Of course, I'm rapidly becoming depressed about paying sticker, so partly I'm trying to pump myself up about attending so that I won't freak out, withdraw, and live at my parent's house for the next ten years or something.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:01 am

itsirtou wrote:I'm paying sticker because I really want a prestigious public interest job in DC, so I'm banking on a) the school helping me get to that point and b) LRAP/IBR.

Of course, I'm rapidly becoming depressed about paying sticker, so partly I'm trying to pump myself up about attending so that I won't freak out, withdraw, and live at my parent's house for the next ten years or something.
+1 all around.

Except that I'm looking at DNCG. :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”