Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is paying sticker at MVPB stupid?

Yes.
13%
No.
56%
This question is stupid.
31%

Total votes: 268

danidancer

Silver

Re: Is paying sticker at MVPB really stupid?

Post by danidancer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:19 pm

<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:25 pm

danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.
yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Are you a long-term scamblog troll?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Voyager wrote:
danidancer wrote:<-- Paying near sticker at Cornell. Why? Because I don't WANT to be an electrician. I WANT to be a lawyer.
yeah? you know a lot about being a lawyer? you think you'll be the one guy to actually like it? you won't fall into the massive group of lawyers that suffers from depression and alcoholism? cool.
Telling people to be electricians right now isn't a good plan. The construction sector the economy is pwnd worse than law at the moment.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Telling people to be electricians right now isn't a good plan. The construction sector the economy is pwnd worse than law at the moment.
I don't think there are very many professions that are pwned worse than lawyers right now for all of the reasons listed above.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:36 pm

We should just become plumbers.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Voyager wrote:
lol

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Voyager wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Voyager wrote:
I don't think there are very many professions that are pwned worse than lawyers right now for all of the reasons listed above.
Evasion: a lawyerly technique.

Kurama

New

Post by Kurama » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Voyager wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Voyager wrote:
You must be joking....practically every realistically attainable profession has been decimated in this economy (outside of medicine and the funeral home business). Financial services and automobile related fields are two that come to mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Voyager wrote:
1) I'm a girl, not a guy. 2) Depression and alcoholism ARE cool.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Voyager wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Law is one of the great American protected industries and, like all such industries, is running into and causing serious problems because of it. There are too many lawyers. Way way way too many. 90,000 new lawyers graduate EVERY YEAR. It is absurd.
Last I checked, that number is 45,000, for ~30,000 new lawyer jobs each year (maybe less ITE). However that doesn't alter the veracity of your statement.

The good thing is that the legal profession is self-sustaining. It creates its own demand. You may think they're parasites, but so what.

The prospects are definitely better than academia which seems to be the other option for someone with a BA in English.
Oh for sure. PhD in English or history is shit. Truly awful experience while you are doing it and shitty jobs afterwards.

And the legal profession is no longer self sustaining. There is not enough food left for the parasites. Host death.
I don't know, every time someone gets sued or has legal trouble, their lawyer is their best friend (the host is only too happy to have the parasite around). More/better paying shitlaw jobs=more biglaw jobs for the rest of us. We just have to write the laws such that it maximizes the instances in which people can get sued or get into legal trouble (=more complicated and longer).

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Kurama wrote:[

You must be joking....practically every realistically attainable profession has been decimated in this economy (outside of medicine and the funeral home business). Financial services and automobile related fields are two that come to mind.
other industries are starting to pick up much faster than the legal field. And I think when you add in the huge debt for a law degree and the ridiculous glut of attorneys that the legal field is in a special land of fucked.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Voyager's numbers are wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:29 pm

Voyager wrote:
ze2151 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
ze2151 wrote:check yourself with that nursing argument. my wife is a nurse. when she graduated (2008) all but 1 nurse in her class had a job lined up. the very next year, 50% of the class didn't have jobs at graduation. just because hospitals have nursing shortages doesn't mean they're hiring nurses. you need experience to get a job right now.
that sucks. Of course, I'd still think going to nursing school is much much better than going to 190 of the 200 American law schools.
luckily my wife has an amazing job, not unlike the ones you described earlier. it sucks for people who went into it thinking there'd definitely be jobs waiting for them when they finished (sound familiar?). But if they do a little legwork and lower their expectations a little, maybe move to an underserved area or back home, they can get jobs.
sure. of course, 2 years of nursing school is substantially cheaper than law school. Also, the hours are HALF and the pay is very similar.

So I hear you, but I still think being a nurse is a better deal... except for the poo.

i'm not even talking about 2 year nursing program people who get their RN. My wife is a BSN, and so are her friends that had such trouble. And remember, nurses get paid hourly and are routinely understaffed. During tough times of year, she'll work somewhere like 60 hours a week. Anyway /thread derail about nursing.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:40 pm

This thread is stupid. Sure below median at T7-14 is not getting biglaw anymore but the jobs they can get are still better than what they could do with their BA in Dead Languages. Yeah debt sucks, so do PI for 10 years and get it forgiven. Yeah you won't ever make models and bottles money, but if you're good you can make something (my dad makes $250k at an NGO). And if you're not then you'll have to content yourself with mediocrity, which again I'd better than what you could do otherwise.

djgoldbe

Bronze

Post by djgoldbe » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Voyager wrote:
I understand that you have a job that you (ostensibly) are happy with, but I cannot help but feel that your vitriolic hatred of the legal profession is related to your recommendation not to attend law school - not just a simple reading of the economic viability. If you hate being a lawyer, don't be one. There are people who do enjoy it though. (And are not alcoholics or depressed).

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:31 pm

djgoldbe wrote:
Voyager wrote:
I understand that you have a job that you (ostensibly) are happy with, but I cannot help but feel that your vitriolic hatred of the legal profession is related to your recommendation not to attend law school - not just a simple reading of the economic viability. If you hate being a lawyer, don't be one. There are people who do enjoy it though. (And are not alcoholics or depressed).
heh. you think what I wrote was "vitriolic"? Most lawyers hate their work and are unhappy. Depression, alcoholism and divorce are hallmarks of the profession. There are many articles/studies on the subject.

Look, I'm just pointing out that law school is currently a bad deal. When my class applied in 2006 it looked pretty sweet due to the sure bet of making a huge pay check. That sure bet seems to have gone away.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Pure speculation

Voyager = that guy with great grades at a top school that came to interviews with snot on his sleeves and without taking a shower. Then went on to say things like "umm you know being a lawyer means making money right? Then I can finally get a girlfriend." and "I think master chief is one of my greatest inspirations, he was able to overcome all odds.". And then wonders why people with way worse grades than him got good jobs.

djgoldbe

Bronze

Post by djgoldbe » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Voyager wrote:
heh. you think what I wrote was "vitriolic"? Most lawyers hate their work and are unhappy. Depression, alcoholism and divorce are hallmarks of the profession. There are many articles/studies on the subject.

Look, I'm just pointing out that law school is currently a bad deal. When my class applied in 2006 it looked pretty sweet due to the sure bet of making a huge pay check. That sure bet seems to have gone away.

Except that isn't 'just' what you are saying. If all you said was that law school is a bad deal, I don't think many would disagree. When you say that its a profession that is parasitic and without social value and that lawyers are miserable and unhappy people, thats quite another.

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Voyager, what happened to you man? I was just reading this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=117187 and you were damn near inspiring in it. But now you are a gloomy bastard, even though you might be right

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:38 pm

I hope not but in my paranoia I am networking like a motherfucker and planning to gun my ass off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:41 pm

pocket herc wrote:Voyager, what happened to you man? I was just reading this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=117187 and you were damn near inspiring in it. But now you are a gloomy bastard, even though you might be right
... Mistaken identity?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Veyron wrote:I hope not but in my paranoia I am networking like a motherfucker and planning to gun my ass off.
Networking is good.

Re: gunning, lot's of people gun and still get bad grades.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:43 pm

this, like all "is paying sticker at xxxxxx dumb" threads, is completely dependent upon relative options.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:44 pm

rayiner wrote:
Veyron wrote:I hope not but in my paranoia I am networking like a motherfucker and planning to gun my ass off.
Networking is good.

Re: gunning, lot's of people gun and still get bad grades.
Sure, but I'm approaching the job serach with a sense of having a gun to my head, I'll do everything that can't hurt and MIGHT help.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”