What school won you over with money?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
krj02004

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby krj02004 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Dumped Vandy ($30k) for Iowa ($120k...full tuition scholly). After COL loans, childcare costs (which are also partially subsidized by the state anyways since my child is special needs), I should not have more than $75k debt post-graduation. Mostly all stafford subsidized loans as well. Also, since I have kids and won't be able to afford private school, my kids needd to be in a good school district. Iowa's are excellent, and Nashville's are crap (and this from the locals).

I feel that I made the right decision for me and my family. Public schools are more financially supportive of families in general, especially single moms. Vandy, while very nice and empathetic, doesn't have to match anything since it's private. In fact, the more I think about the happier I am to go to Iowa (except for the weather... I almost got picked up by a tornado last week...that kinda sucked).

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:06 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:Turned down full tuition at Maryland. I felt commuting to Baltimore wasn't compatible with my current career. Going to end up paying a bundle at GW, GMU, or American.

I can't see this being a good decision.

Notor

Postby Notor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Going to tOSU with $12k a year and in-state tuition. Didn't bother to ride WL at Vandy, Emory, BU, or WUSTL, and turned down $15k/year at IUB and $5k a year at W&M. Was really impressed with quality of students at the admitted event and the possibility of graduating with less than $60k in total debt.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:25 am

dvd wrote:
dougroberts wrote:William Mitchell -- full tuition scholarship, over Univ. of MN (none) and Univ. of St. Thomas (about 60%).

Interesting choice. Is your scholarship conditional?

It is. That is what gave me the most pause. While the Univ. of MN curve is ludicrous (like a 3.33), WM has a 2.78 curve. My WM scholarship requires a 2.75 GPA. After 1L, I was in the top 10% so it turned out to be a good decision I think.

I also intent to practice in MN as I have lived here my entire life and love it, so might as well take less debt!

DustyfootPhilospher

Postby DustyfootPhilospher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:44 am

ArtVandelay wrote:Notre Dame 20k/yr over Georgetown sticker.

I'm not religious and would much rather be in DC, but I just couldn't justify the extra ~100k (factoring in COL.) It wasn't an easy decision and I'm hoping I won't regret it.

I would have chosen Georgetown especially bc I would much prefer DC to SouthBend. I was in a similar dilema but it was ND vs. GW so ND was the easy choice. I am still waiting on a few T14's that have WL'ed me though, if one gives me a call I'm off. Otherwise there is a good chance I will see you this fall.

mbw

Postby mbw » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:48 pm

dougroberts wrote:
dvd wrote:
dougroberts wrote:William Mitchell -- full tuition scholarship, over Univ. of MN (none) and Univ. of St. Thomas (about 60%).

Interesting choice. Is your scholarship conditional?

It is. That is what gave me the most pause. While the Univ. of MN curve is ludicrous (like a 3.33), WM has a 2.78 curve. My WM scholarship requires a 2.75 GPA. After 1L, I was in the top 10% so it turned out to be a good decision I think.

I also intent to practice in MN as I have lived here my entire life and love it, so might as well take less debt!

I don't think it's an "interesting" (if you actually mean "unusual") choice at all, particularly in the Minnesota market, where WM has the largest alumni network and places just as many grads in local jobs as UMN.

I turned down NYU and UM for $$ at UMN, namely because I was debt adverse and thought I wanted to do pure Federal Indian Law. Cornell then stole me away (after I'd moved to Mpls) for $90K. After a year, I'm so glad I made the decision (for a whole bunch of reasons.) What frightens me is that I was going to make such a poor decision (to go to UMN) based mostly on money.

A lot of 0Ls think that the only reason to go to a T14 is for BigLaw. However, in many fields, particularly those where most of the people you'll come into contact with do not have law degrees, lay prestige counts for more than most people on TLS (particularly 0Ls) realize. Despite all the crap my school gets on here, my spouse's colleagues are quite impressed with my attendance here, and since that area of work is my fall-back position, I'm glad my naivete didn't cost me; as great school that UMN it is, I don't think it would have the same effect.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:05 pm

DustyfootPhilospher wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:Notre Dame 20k/yr over Georgetown sticker.

I'm not religious and would much rather be in DC, but I just couldn't justify the extra ~100k (factoring in COL.) It wasn't an easy decision and I'm hoping I won't regret it.

I would have chosen Georgetown especially bc I would much prefer DC to SouthBend. I was in a similar dilema but it was ND vs. GW so ND was the easy choice. I am still waiting on a few T14's that have WL'ed me though, if one gives me a call I'm off. Otherwise there is a good chance I will see you this fall.

If I were 100% sure I wanted BigLaw, I would've gone to Georgetown. However, I've talked to several lawyers who thought they were 100% sure they wanted BigLaw only to realize how much it sucked when they got there. I figure not being six-figures in debt allows me to keep open more options than choosing the slightly more prestigious school.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:28 pm

scribelaw wrote:
rockstar4488 wrote:Turned down full tuition at Maryland. I felt commuting to Baltimore wasn't compatible with my current career. Going to end up paying a bundle at GW, GMU, or American.

I don't think it would be for someone fresh out of college. But as a (slightly) older PT student with a career and a decent income (high 5 figures), time is my scarcest resource. I am also unable to relocate. Attending UMD could mean as much as 4h a day in total commuting time. Since I'd have to drive, it means that this time is essentially wasted. At the end of the day I feel I made the very tough decision that paying an additional 40-80k in expenses over 4 years is worth giving myself the best chance to succeed academically.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:42 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

I don't think it would be for someone fresh out of college. But as a (slightly) older PT student with a career and a decent income (high 5 figures), time is my scarcest resource. I am also unable to relocate. Attending UMD could mean as much as 4h a day in total commuting time. Since I'd have to drive, it means that this time is essentially wasted. At the end of the day I feel I made the very tough decision that paying an additional 40-80k in expenses over 4 years is worth giving myself the best chance to succeed academically.

Why give up one career for law when your income is likely to be lower as an attorney? If you love law that much I can respect that, but is that truly the reason?

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:53 pm

I had 3 real choices this year, full ride (guaranteed no stipulations) at Cardozo, ~$50k from Fordham and sticker at Michigan. Going into applications, I was very much top-14 or bust but in the end I took the deal from Fordham. The deciding factors, after several conversations with the deans at Fordham and Michigan, was that for me, going to law school is a big gamble, because I pretty much only get a raise if I make big law.

Fordham's dean won me over with his argument that between tuition, travel, room and board (I have a condo in NYC), and most importantly, lost earnings, I would be taking easily a $600k swing or more by going to Michigan provided I keep my job and go to night school at Fordham. It would mean a few years of having no life, but my wife's job prospects are better in NY than in Detroit/Ann Arbor, and instead of being $200k in debt, I don't plan on taking any loans at all, I might even be able to get some tuition reimbursement (not my field though so who knows what the company will think).

Who knows if it will be the right choice, but I've made it so now I will have to live with it. That said, if I had gotten into NYU (My first choice, having enjoyed undergrad there immensely) I probably would have gone to NYU. However, I just didn't feel that Michigan's placement prospects in NYC were enough better than Fordham's for the gamble to be worth it. I will probably second guess myself for eternity if things don't work out the way I plan, but that's part of life.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:06 pm

I wish a school had won me over with money alone... Got very limited cash from Fordham, work based fellowship @ W&M, about 100k from Cardozo and Brooklyn, and slightly less from LLS. The amount of debt I would wind up in between 'Dozo/BLS/LLS would be within 8k of each other come graduation (slightly higher COL in NYC than LA) barring a miraculous scholly increase or more miraculous paying 1L+2L gigs.

Crossed off Fordham (painfully - I loved it there...) and W&M based on debt and location respectively.

When I narrowed it to 3 similarly priced/ranked schools, I chose based off where I wanted to live.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:11 pm

kryptix wrote:Fordham's dean won me over with his argument that between tuition, travel, room and board (I have a condo in NYC), and most importantly, lost earnings, I would be taking easily a $600k swing or more by going to Michigan provided I keep my job and go to night school at Fordham. It would mean a few years of having no life, but my wife's job prospects are better in NY than in Detroit/Ann Arbor, and instead of being $200k in debt, I don't plan on taking any loans at all, I might even be able to get some tuition reimbursement (not my field though so who knows what the company will think).

I think the dean was right. Fordham makes more sense for you.

DarkwingDick

Postby DarkwingDick » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm

Irvine.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 am

Veyron wrote:
rockstar4488 wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

Why give up one career for law when your income is likely to be lower as an attorney? If you love law that much I can respect that, but is that truly the reason?

I don't think I'll really know if I love law until I've started studying and devoting substantial time to it. It is mostly about the money now though. I'm an engineer interested in patent law. There will either be a big paycheck at the end of that road or there wont be. If there isn't, as a current federal employee, I am basically guaranteed a position working for the government. This also would come with a substantial raise.

schnoodle

Postby schnoodle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 am

well, as a loyal tax payer, allow me to say "you're welcome." wish we could all have guaranteed jobs w/ sweet raises.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 am

schnoodle wrote:well, as a loyal tax payer, allow me to say "you're welcome." wish we could all have guaranteed jobs w/ sweet raises.

LOL... +1

mbw

Postby mbw » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:49 am

schnoodle wrote:well, as a loyal tax payer, allow me to say "you're welcome." wish we could all have guaranteed jobs w/ sweet raises.

Really? At age 22-25, unless you have a ton of work experience under your belt, and at a high salary, I doubt that you've paid in federal income taxes the amount of his/her raise, let alone a year of federal wages. :roll:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:56 am

mbw wrote:

Really? At age 22-25, unless you have a ton of work experience under your belt, and at a high salary, I doubt that you've paid in federal income taxes the amount of his/her raise, let alone a year of federal wages. :roll:

Doesn't mean we can't still hate.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”