What school won you over with money?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:23 pm

dvd wrote:
Veyron wrote:

It is not misunderstood. And acting like a full ride to a T25 is akin to a bad hand vs. a ~50% chance at a job paying well enough to live comfortably with LS debt from a T14 is just plain silly.


T-25 is a meaningless designation. Trust me, in my state, the kids from State U are going to get a job over the GW kid every time if both have the same class rank. Attending the best non-T14 local school is always credited when not attending a T-14.


GW isn't a T-14.


I said T-25. T-14 is a meaningful designation.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby dvd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:24 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby dvd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:25 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby rando » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Veyron wrote:

It is not misunderstood. And acting like a full ride to a T25 is akin to a bad hand vs. a ~50% chance at a job paying well enough to live comfortably with LS debt from a T14 is just plain silly.


T-25 is a meaningless designation. Trust me, in my state, the kids from State U are going to get a job over the GW kid every time if both have the same class rank. Attending the best non-T14 local school is always credited when not attending a T-14.


umm ok. Before you were talking categorically. Now you're talking about kids from State U in your state.

T25 is a meaningless distinction vs. T20 or T30. But not in the fact that it indicates the school can hold its own. And by that analysis, the lower T14 is a meaningless distinction. Your analysis of Gtown vs. UCLA is just flat wrong. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same on down MVP.

But then again I don't have personal experience with it. And I am analogizing to my own experience in the Southeast. Anyway. Carry on.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:29 pm

[/quote]

Not really...I'm sure there are plenty of Northwestern grads getting shut out in the Hawaii legal market by UH grads.[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure that median kids at NU are indeed getting shut out from HI while top 15% UH kids are getting jobs. This doesn't mean that its a better bet to go the UH but UH is the best local school and it would indeed make sense for someone from HI to attend UH in the absence of a T-14 offer or for personal reasons.

"umm ok. Before you were talking categorically. Now you're talking about kids from State U in your state.

T25 is a meaningless distinction vs. T20 or T30. But not in the fact that it indicates the school can hold its own. And by that analysis, the lower T14 is a meaningless distinction. Your analysis of Gtown vs. UCLA is just flat wrong. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same on down MVP.

But then again I don't have personal experience with it. And I am analogizing to my own experience in the Southeast. Anyway. Carry on."

Its called giving a specific example to support your point.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby dvd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:31 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:34 pm

dvd wrote:
Veyron wrote:
B --> Is stupid because you don't have prior military and so are very unlikely to get JAG.


False - there are plenty of people accepted into JAG or JAG ROTC without prior military experience.


Wow dood, you must have done quite poorly on the LSAT.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby rando » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Veyron wrote:."

Its called giving a specific example to support your point.


Apples to oranges. That specific example doesn't support your point.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:41 pm

rando wrote:
Veyron wrote:."

Its called giving a specific example to support your point.


Apples to oranges. That specific example doesn't support your point.


MP --> T25 is a meaningless distinction.

Example --> In our local market, firms generaly prefer to hire kids from the local non T-25's over kids from T-25's when class ranks are =.

This doesn't work?

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Good to see some others making the same sort of decision.

I took Boyd (UNLV) over USC, and I was w/l at a few other school when I withdrew. It wasn't a decision all about the money, but it helped.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby rando » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Veyron wrote:
rando wrote:
Veyron wrote:."

Its called giving a specific example to support your point.


Apples to oranges. That specific example doesn't support your point.


MP --> T25 is a meaningless distinction.

Example --> In our local market, firms generaly prefer to hire kids from the local non T-25's over kids from T-25's when class ranks are =.

This doesn't work?


This doesn't work to support the only argument worth talking about. Your original assertion that anything outside of the T14 is not worth taking over a T14 etc...

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby dvd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:23 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:31 pm

dvd wrote:
Veyron wrote:
dvd wrote:
Veyron wrote:
B --> Is stupid because you don't have prior military and so are very unlikely to get JAG.


False - there are plenty of people accepted into JAG or JAG ROTC without prior military experience.


Wow dood, you must have done quite poorly on the LSAT.


You say this why?


Your argument is like a flaw in the reasoning question waiting to happen. Just because very few kids in little league will ever become MLB players, doesn't mean that only a few MLB players were in little league.
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Pearalegal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:32 pm

I got lucky because the highest ranked school I got into (UT) was also the school that gave me the biggest scholarship. I don't have a strong desire to practice in Texas, but I don't have any pressing ties to some other legal market. Ideally I would like to move back to the mid-Atlantic, which isn't impossible from UT.

I chose it over the other schools in that area that gave me more than decent money without a look back.

rockstar4488
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby rockstar4488 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:37 am

Turned down full tuition at Maryland. I felt commuting to Baltimore wasn't compatible with my current career. Going to end up paying a bundle at GW, GMU, or American.

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:45 am

Turned down Vandy sticker (And Emory sticker. No $$ because I didn't suck their dicks in my PS) for in-state tuition equalization at UGA.

Bucwild
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Bucwild » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 am

$$$$ at WUSTL over sticker at Chicago.

aPosseAdEsse
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:37 pm

Choosing a school tied at usnwr72 for full ride over full out-of-state tuition at George Mason. technically I'm still on a waitlist for my top ranked in-state school, but I have little intention of accepting an invitation at this point. Keeping my options open in case of an emergency of some sort. I feel blessed, frankly. My family does not have the means or connections to support my legal career, so I feel I have no choice, yet the choice of $130k less debt feels like a superb option.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby yo! » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Got full ride offers from Mcgeorge and UNLV. Took Davis at 10k per year.....

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Reedie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Duke won me over from NYU with money and a lower cost of living.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Reedie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Duke won me over from NYU with money and a lower cost of living.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Grizz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:00 pm

aPosseAdEsse wrote:Choosing a school tied at usnwr72 for full ride over full out-of-state tuition at George Mason. technically I'm still on a waitlist for my top ranked in-state school, but I have little intention of accepting an invitation at this point. Keeping my options open in case of an emergency of some sort. I feel blessed, frankly. My family does not have the means or connections to support my legal career, so I feel I have no choice, yet the choice of $130k less debt feels like a superb option.


Seton Hall?

dougroberts
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby dougroberts » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:42 am

William Mitchell -- full tuition scholarship, over Univ. of MN (none) and Univ. of St. Thomas (about 60%).

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 am

Reedie wrote:Duke won me over from NYU with money and a lower cost of living.


I can see this, especially if NY is not your goal.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby dvd » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:27 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mhr and 2 guests