What school won you over with money?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cupidity

Re: What school won you over with money?

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:30 pm

55k @ bu over Cornell. Hate nyc, only thing Cornell is good for. Love Boston.

Aias

Postby Aias » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:14 pm

$74k at USC over Cornell, $60K at Vanderbilt and $15k at UCLA.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:08 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:
Veyron wrote:Dumped NYU for Penn after I talked Penn into matching their scholarship. Would not have done it otherwise. FWIW, people on this chatblog vastly overestimate the degree to which firms differentiate between schools. IMHO, the only truly stupid decisions (for those who don't wish to work in NYC) are turning down a T3 for $ at another T-14, turning down a T-14 for $ somewhere other than a T-14 or turning down the best school in the region in which you wish to practice for $ at any school not a T-14.

Did it.

What on earth possessed you people to do this?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:13 pm

87k at WUSTL over 30k at Vandy w/ a slightly lower COL in St. Louis. My decision wasn't made solely due to money, but it was close enough to make no difference for the purpose of this analysis.

dvd

Postby dvd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:16 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:17 pm

dvd wrote:Took full at Minn over 10/yr at Cornell.

hopefully you like minnesota

dvd

Postby dvd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:18 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:20 pm

^
Was the school at which you recieved $ the best local school in the area in which you wish to practice?

dvd

Postby dvd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:22 pm

`

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Probably should have added that as a stipulation. That might make sense (although I'm still dubious).

rando

Postby rando » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Veyron wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
Veyron wrote:Dumped NYU for Penn after I talked Penn into matching their scholarship. Would not have done it otherwise. FWIW, people on this chatblog vastly overestimate the degree to which firms differentiate between schools. IMHO, the only truly stupid decisions (for those who don't wish to work in NYC) are turning down a T3 for $ at another T-14, turning down a T-14 for $ somewhere other than a T-14 or turning down the best school in the region in which you wish to practice for $ at any school not a T-14.

Did it.

Probably the fact your original qualifications are incorrect.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:56 pm

The advice to never turn down a T-14 for $ somewhere other than a T-14 is just not credited in many cases. The T14 isn't what it used to be: schools at the lower end are much more regional than they used to be. Choosing one of the very strong non T14s in Cali is great if there is a large scholarship and one wants to practice in Cali. Plus add the in-state tuition factor. We are talking about sometimes well over a hundred thousand dollars here, plus interest at 8 percent a year, which doubles the overall cost over time.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Cali instate can be over 50k. I have heard 2ndhand about UCLA's oci and supposedly it was an order of magnitude worse than even a lower T-14. I know that even in the southwest (not in socal but elsewhere), firms go much deeper into the class at even GULC than they do at UCLA. In fact, many firms have an entirely different set of cutoffs for schools outside of the T-14 (or T-14 + Texas).

b0dylanguage

Postby b0dylanguage » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Last edited by b0dylanguage on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvd

Postby dvd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:46 pm

`

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:47 pm

dvd wrote:I also want to say that I am strongly considering the USAF JAG Corps, so taking the full-ride at Minnesota makes much more sense for me than shelling out $150,000 at Cornell.

This either

A --> Makes sense because you have prior military.

B --> Is stupid because you don't have prior military and so are very unlikely to get JAG.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Veyron wrote:Cali instate can be over 50k. I have heard 2ndhand about UCLA's oci and supposedly it was an order of magnitude worse than even a lower T-14. I know that even in the southwest (not in socal but elsewhere), firms go much deeper into the class at even GULC than they do at UCLA. In fact, many firms have an entirely different set of cutoffs for schools outside of the T-14 (or T-14 + Texas).

Some firms may be like this but my inclination is that most do not. From my friends at Gtown; faaaar less than 50% are working in biglaw as 2L SA's. A fellow SA at Duke says roughly 50%.

Sorry, but taking the full ride and working lesser odds but no debt is just not a bad decision. Some people may want to gamble differently, but that doesn't change the game.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:51 pm

veyron- did you take lower t14 at sticker over large scholarship to t25? are you retroactively trying to justify your decision? what qualifies you to make blanket judgments like this?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:52 pm

rando wrote:
Veyron wrote:Cali instate can be over 50k. I have heard 2ndhand about UCLA's oci and supposedly it was an order of magnitude worse than even a lower T-14. I know that even in the southwest (not in socal but elsewhere), firms go much deeper into the class at even GULC than they do at UCLA. In fact, many firms have an entirely different set of cutoffs for schools outside of the T-14 (or T-14 + Texas).

Some firms may be like this but my inclination is that most do not. From my friends at Gtown; faaaar less than 50% are working in biglaw as 2L SA's. A fellow SA at Duke says roughly 50%.

Sorry, but taking the full ride and working lesser odds but no debt is just not a bad decision. Some people may want to gamble differently, but that doesn't change the game.

From what I hear, this year was different and the normal cutoffs did not apply. Besides, isn't it about 1/3 at UCLA?

"veyron- did you take lower t14 at sticker over large scholarship to t25? are you retroactively trying to justify your decision? what qualifies you to make blanket judgments like this?"

T 25? No, I took $$ at a T-14 over what would have probably been a full ride at the best instate (not T-25, but a solid school). Even people at that school have (to a man) said that I made the right decision. The numbers are based on conversations with legal professionals and students recenty gone thru OCI. Also, everyone has pointed out the the numbers are not hard and fast, they are more what get you the interview.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Veyron wrote:
rando wrote:

From what I hear, this year was different and the normal cutoffs did not apply. Besides, isn't it about 1/3 at UCLA?

"veyron- did you take lower t14 at sticker over large scholarship to t25? are you retroactively trying to justify your decision? what qualifies you to make blanket judgments like this?"

T 25? No, I took $$ at a T-14 over what would have probably been a full ride at the best instate (not T-25, but a solid school). Even people at that school have (to a man) said that I made the right decision. The numbers are based on conversations with legal professionals and students recenty gone thru OCI. Also, everyone has pointed out the the numbers are not hard and fast, they are more what get you the interview.

Would your people at that solid state school say you made the right decision when you end up in the same place and have no debt? Or when you don't get your biglaw fantasies and have debt? Things worked out for you. That's great. It doesn't mean that your decision is categorically the right decision.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:00 pm

rando wrote:
Veyron wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:

Did it.

Probably the fact your original qualifications are incorrect.

titcr

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:01 pm

rando wrote:
Veyron wrote:
rando wrote:

Would your people at that solid state school say you made the right decision when you end up in the same place and have no debt? Or when you don't get your biglaw fantasies and have debt? Things worked out for you. That's great. It doesn't mean that your decision is categorically the right decision.

Obviously not, but we can't predict the future (or your future class rank), just because the board came up 4455K doesn't mean that it wasn't a good idea to fold your 4 and 5. Don't misunderstand my argument on purpose.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Veyron wrote:
rando wrote:
Veyron wrote:
rando wrote:

Obviously not, but we can't predict the future (or your future class rank), just because the board came up 4455K doesn't mean that it wasn't a good idea to fold your 4 and 5. Don't misunderstand my argument on purpose.

It is not misunderstood. And acting like a full ride to a T25 is akin to a bad hand vs. a ~50% chance at a job paying well enough to live comfortably with LS debt from a T14 is just plain silly.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:20 pm

It is not misunderstood. And acting like a full ride to a T25 is akin to a bad hand vs. a ~50% chance at a job paying well enough to live comfortably with LS debt from a T14 is just plain silly.

T-25 is a meaningless designation. Trust me, in my state, the kids from State U are going to get a job over the GW kid every time if both have the same class rank. Attending the best non-T14 local school is always credited when not attending a T-14.

dvd

Postby dvd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:23 pm

`

Return to “Choosing a Law School”