light on selectivity, heavy on talented students?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alexonfyre

light on selectivity, heavy on talented students?

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Some guys in the Admissions forums helped me realize that my law school plan was somewhat misguided.
The problem is, I don't really know where to look.
I have read a lot of school profiles and they all talk about how diverse and talented their students are, of course, but it makes it hard for me to narrow my search.
I have a 2.8 UGPA, which precludes me from getting into almost any of the T14 schools regardless of LSAT and fairly above average softs.
To summarize my point of view from the other thread: I look at law as a protective force for our society and want to practice law as a way of improving society/preserving the constitution/etc. In order for me to feel satisfied with my education, I want to go to a school where I can interact with a talented group of students who can and will engage in productive, stimulating debate. It would be a plus to have a staff that will do the same. I am not really worried about job placement or money, so I wouldn't mind going to a TTT or an international school that could provide me with what I really want.
A lot of schools mention that they "look at the whole student" and don't just reject people based on numbers, and though I would love to believe that, I know it is crap. Most of the schools that I like say that, but I imagine the admissions officer swiping a pile of "under 3.0 GPA" files into the garbage with one hand while they type that line with the other.

Help?

Grizz

Re: light on selectivity, heavy on talented students?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Unfortunately, not a lot of the law is about this:

I look at law as a protective force for our society and want to practice law as a way of improving society/preserving the constitution/etc.

Get work experience and a 170+ LSAT, ED to Northwestern or Georgetown PT.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:26 pm

You got a shot at Northwestern with above a 170 (172 is better) if you have work experience and if you apply Early Decision.

Otherwise, look at WUSTL, Minnesota, Illinois, Washington and Lee, etc etc.

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Don't go to law school.

notreallyalawyer

Postby notreallyalawyer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:29 pm

police academy?

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:38 pm

What is a "talented student"?

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:41 pm

cubswin wrote:What is a "talented student"?

Apparently a huge gunner, based on the OP.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:41 pm

"I look at law as a protective force for our society and want to practice law as a way of improving society/preserving the constitution/etc."

So whatever you do you'll improve society? Humble.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:46 pm

You say that your ultimate goal is to "improving society/preserving the constitution/etc." Outside the top law schools, it is very hard to get the kind of legal jobs to make the kind of impact you want. Take the LSAT, sure, but if you don't get into a top school, then you'll really need to reconsider law school. Why blow $150 grand on law school with little realistic chance of achieving your goals? There are many way to improve society without blowing $150 grand on a legal education.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:47 pm

mallard wrote:Don't go to law school.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:49 pm

alexonfyre wrote:Due to what I can only consider cosmic serendipity, I was brought to find out that my intellectual lust for law and its practice, trial advocacy in particular, was unquenchable.

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:50 pm

go to batman school instead

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks to whoever posted from my other thread, that is basically how I feel about it. My skill set and experiences are all about law, I really don't see myself doing anything else.
I'm not going to apologize for hoping to improve society one day, because I believe every person should.
You guys told me to get work experience last time I was here, so I am doing that now, I am doing marketing for a small company that does case management and funding for lawyers. I am devoting the rest of my energy towards the LSAT, and the only thing that would make me reconsider going to law school would be if I can't score a 170 (though I have done about that well on PTs I have taken.)

vespertiliovir wrote:go to batman school instead

Got a bad score on the BCAT, math section is a bitch.

djgoldbe

Postby djgoldbe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:34 pm

Lots of BP'ers jumping on this thread :p Pessimism aside OP, most school are going to have very talented, passionate students (Although I would say somewhat sterotypically that you will find more dedicated and passionate people in T1 schools than T2/3 etc). The real difference is what jobs you'll be able to get and how much debt you'll be in . The ability to be eligible for jobs that are going to fulfill you is both a function of what school you go to, and the amount of debt you're in. Higher debt is crushing, and in reality even the most passionate public servants go towards the private sector because they simply cannot live comfortably on a lower salary. Thus, if your looking for a public service / government / NGO job, I would go for the highest ranked school with as little debt as possible in the region you want to work. (And no, I would not assume you'll be working in public service for 10 years)

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 pm

djgoldbe wrote:Lots of BP'ers jumping on this thread :p Pessimism aside OP, most school are going to have very talented, passionate students (Although I would say somewhat sterotypically that you will find more dedicated and passionate people in T1 schools than T2/3 etc). The real difference is what jobs you'll be able to get and how much debt you'll be in . The ability to be eligible for jobs that are going to fulfill you is both a function of what school you go to, and the amount of debt you're in. Higher debt is crushing, and in reality even the most passionate public servants go towards the private sector because they simply cannot live comfortably on a lower salary. Thus, if your looking for a public service / government / NGO job, I would go for the highest ranked school with as little debt as possible in the region you want to work. (And no, I would not assume you'll be working in public service for 10 years)

I am fortunate enough to not worry about debt. I am really trying to find the best education that will have me.

EDIT: Also, would I be able to get into UCI?

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:58 pm

alexonfyre wrote:

You could always choose Aquaman school, I bet that'd be easy to get into. TTT, but whatever.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:00 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:

You could always choose Aquaman school, I bet that'd be easy to get into. TTT, but whatever.

Yeah, anybody could get into Cooley (they'd give you a degree in Aquaman if you wanted right?)

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:06 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:10 pm

dvd wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:Thanks to whoever posted from my other thread, that is basically how I feel about it. My skill set and experiences are all about law, I really don't see myself doing anything else.

Sounds like your Alignment is Lawful Neutral.

Unfortunately a rolled low on Wisdom and a couple natural 0s on foresight checks in undergrad.

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:25 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 pm

dvd wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:
dvd wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:Thanks to whoever posted from my other thread, that is basically how I feel about it. My skill set and experiences are all about law, I really don't see myself doing anything else.

Sounds like your Alignment is Lawful Neutral.

Unfortunately a rolled low on Wisdom and a couple natural 0s on foresight checks in undergrad.

You should have chosen Half-Elf as your race. Newbie mistake?

Yeah dude, was gonna reroll, but the GM is a dick.

EDIT: Also, wanted to bring up UCI again, I would really like to go there, and can potentially claim California residency, would that be a good idea? Would they accept a 2.8?

goawaybee

Postby goawaybee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:15 pm

Honestly I suggest laying off the "advice" thing. If you want to make an impact in this world sure some education/training helps. The few people I have seen make a difference in the world, living the shit on a day to day, beyond self and still keeping their head on. They are the dictionary definition of shit eatin' machine, resilient as hell, every day is like going to war but you can't break them. Just beast it, this LS game is a pretty basic formula as far as entrance goes, the exit strategy and what you accomplish while in motion is what will allow you to make your goal become a reality. If you aspire X,Y,Z school you have to be the anomaly with your numbers going in dependent on LSAT performance and how heavy you can lean on them during the admissions process. Maintain your integrity and values and do whatever the f*ck it takes until you feel fulfilled. Has shit to do with being content, paid or otherwise. The LS experience is just going to be one small step in the planning/preparation phase of your mission.

You can sit around and sling shit on internet forums all day or go out and make your dream a reality.

Handle it.

or option 2 (do anything other than)

rando

Postby rando » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:20 pm

sumus romani wrote:You say that your ultimate goal is to "improving society/preserving the constitution/etc." Outside the top law schools, it is very hard to get the kind of legal jobs to make the kind of impact you want. Take the LSAT, sure, but if you don't get into a top school, then you'll really need to reconsider law school. Why blow $150 grand on law school with little realistic chance of achieving your goals? There are many way to improve society without blowing $150 grand on a legal education.

Maybe not high profile jobs, but that doesn't mean you can't make the world a better place. While I am far too cynical to actually want to try and do this, I am also grounded enough to know that you don't have to go to a T14 to help people.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:22 pm

alexonfyre wrote:EDIT: Also, wanted to bring up UCI again, I would really like to go there, and can potentially claim California residency, would that be a good idea? Would they accept a 2.8?

It appears you rolled high on charisma, though. Helpful for networking?

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Agree with Rando. You don't have to go t14 to "improve" the world. Many non-T14 grads make quite an impact.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”