Grade Inflation, What BS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vale1rd

Grade Inflation, What BS

Postby vale1rd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:22 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Schools inflating grades to make their students look better?! Wouldn't the top recruiters catch on as the article suggests? So whats the point...

im_blue

Re: Grade Inflation, What BS

Postby im_blue » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Everyone's class rank will obviously stay the same, but it helps those applying for clerkships and other programs with strict GPA cutoffs.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 pm

It's fraud.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 pm

"The University of Chicago Law School grades its students on a scale of 155-186, a system so bizarre that employers are unlikely to try to match it against the 4.0 scale or letter grades used almost everywhere else."

:shock:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:57 pm

I'm glad to see this got posted again. This article is too important to only relegate to 4 or 5 threads!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121230
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=121220
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121188
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=121209
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121187

TheTopBloke wrote:It's fraud.

False.

junelsat

Postby junelsat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Its mildly disingenuous and certainly in the wrong spirit. If nothing else, it reeks of desperation.

This is all the result of there are too many law schools. If there were less schools, then not as many recent graduates would be unemployed, and the schools wouldn't have to claw to compete with one another.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 pm

A new thread on this was very necessary.

Especially considering that Yahoo! is months behind in reporting this.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'm glad to see this got posted again. This article is too important to only relegate to 4 or 5 threads!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121230
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=121220
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121188
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=121209
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121187

TheTopBloke wrote:It's fraud.

False.

Please elaborate.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:41 pm

junelsat wrote:Its mildly disingenuous and certainly in the wrong spirit. If nothing else, it reeks of desperation.

This is all the result of there are too many law schools. If there were less schools, then not as many recent graduates would be unemployed, and the schools wouldn't have to claw to compete with one another.

Not everyone goes to law school to get a job. I'm certainly not looking to shell out up to $150k just to work for someone else.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:44 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
junelsat wrote:Its mildly disingenuous and certainly in the wrong spirit. If nothing else, it reeks of desperation.

Not everyone goes to law school to get a job. I'm certainly not looking to shell out up to $150k just to work for someone else.

What are you going for? Personal satisfaction?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Not everyone goes to law school to get a job. I'm certainly not looking to shell out up to $150k just to work for someone else.

lolwut

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 pm

delBarco wrote:What are you going for? Personal satisfaction?

Getting a job would be personally satisfying. So...maybe?

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:

Are you kidding me?

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:47 pm

delBarco wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

What are you going for? Personal satisfaction?

Yeah, that's right.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:47 pm

mallard wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

Are you kidding me?

No, I'm not.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:48 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:

lol. This reminded me of a guy in my class who the other day said in class that he was not planning on taking the bar. He just likes the law! lol The professor told him that he should reconsider his decision to go through with this. Can't you find a cheaper way of achieving satisfaction?

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:51 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

lol. This reminded me of a guy in my class who the other day said in class that he was not planning on taking the bar. He just likes the law! lol The professor told him that he should reconsider his decision to go through with this. Can't you find a cheaper way of achieving satisfaction?

Sure, and for the record, I plan on taking the bar, and practicing law. Getting a job is not my priority. Practicing law is my priority.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 pm

mallard wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Hanging out a shingle straight out of law school is where it's at. All I need is an ad in a phone book, a late model mustang with a license plate that says LLR$P (Lad(ie)s Love Rich $olo Practitioner) and several hundred gs in malpractice insurance. Oh hells yeah. In fact I am so confident that 2L summer I plan on interning with myself. Who needs mentors, training, or colleagues when you have a healthy sense of self-worth and access to Westlaw practitioner manuals. I'll be rockin' the Bugatti while you're still in your pathetic late model BMW purchased with the chump change Proskauer throws you as an employee. Oh yeah. You don't need a team of attorneys and support staff to do billion dollar M&A deals. Just a JD and a dream.

Won't you dream with me?

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Cleareyes wrote:Hanging out a shingle straight out of law school is where it's at. All I need is an ad in a phone book, a late model mustang with a license plate that says LLR$P (Lad(ie)s Love Rich $olo Practitioner) and several hundred gs in malpractice insurance. Oh hells yeah. In fact I am so confident that 2L summer I plan on interning with myself. Who needs mentors, training, or colleagues when you have a healthy sense of self-worth and access to Westlaw practitioner manuals. I'll be rockin' the Bugatti while you're still in your pathetic late model BMW purchased with the chump change Proskauer throws you as an employee. Oh yeah. You don't need a team of attorneys and support staff to do billion dollar M&A deals. Just a JD and a dream.

Won't you dream with me?

lololol.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:02 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

Sure, and for the record, I plan on taking the bar, and practicing law. Getting a job is not my priority. Practicing law is my priority.

I apologize, but I am quite interested as to what your plan actually is. Getting a job isn't a pririty? You just wanna "practice law"? Well, you'll be practicing law by doing $12/hr doc review. But wait, you don't want to work for anyone? So what is the exact plan coming out of law school, start your own practice? I hope you have NATIONAL connections if thats the plan. If not, what is?

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
mallard wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Hanging out a shingle straight out of law school is where it's at. All I need is an ad in a phone book, a late model mustang with a license plate that says LLR$P (Lad(ie)s Love Rich $olo Practitioner) and several hundred gs in malpractice insurance. Oh hells yeah. In fact I am so confident that 2L summer I plan on interning with myself. Who needs mentors, training, or colleagues when you have a healthy sense of self-worth and access to Westlaw practitioner manuals. I'll be rockin' the Bugatti while you're still in your pathetic late model BMW purchased with the chump change Proskauer throws you as an employee. Oh yeah. You don't need a team of attorneys and support staff to do billion dollar M&A deals. Just a JD and a dream.

Won't you dream with me?

Good luck with that.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:04 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
mallard wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Won't you dream with me?

When I read "I'm gonna intern with myself" I actually laughed out loud. Well played sir, well played.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:05 pm

ITT: Retards that don't understand that when you hang a shingle you still work for someone else.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:05 pm

junelsat wrote:
I apologize, but I am quite interested as to what your plan actually is. Getting a job isn't a pririty? You just wanna "practice law"? Well, you'll be practicing law by doing $12/hr doc review. But wait, you don't want to work for anyone? So what is the exact plan coming out of law school, start your own practice? I hope you have NATIONAL connections if thats the plan. If not, what is?

Yes.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:06 pm

For allegedly reasonably intelligent people you sure do assume alot.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”